everything is so corporate

SirNim

Even though I'm not too thrilled about the merchandising homogenization, I still think there are (or, at least there were, when last I visited in 2006) sufficiently unique merchandise stops in every park. The stores in Harambe have unique African art that isn't available anywhere else on property (save AKL), the stores in World Showcase still have quality international crafts, the stores along Main Street still have "Main Streety" merchandise like watches and autres objets d'art, and DHS has the TOT store, Sid Cahuenga's, and other similar locations.

I can understand the main "Emporiums" in each park — like the Emporium itself and MouseGear — having generic DisneyParks merchandise.... and I can understand the idea of generic DisneyParks merchandise being the rule throughout all four parks, not the exception.... but the exception which currently exists, the exception which provides unique themed merchandise that makes sense in the location in which it is available, is substantial and pretty good.

Pete C

It's all about the cheapness.

I was in Japan the other day and noticed the selection of Revoltechs had dwindled to a single shelf and 3 or 4 Rei's, yet there were shelves upon shelves of Transformers: ROTF action figures. Those are American toys based on an American Film. Why is that there then? Because those are meant soley for America, they are cheaper to buy since they don't really have to import them themselves.

So don't be surprised if these days you see more and more stuff that you can buy at K-Mart for sale all over Disney.

Speaking of Japan, at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, just try finding a shirt ANYWHERE that says you went to one of those parks. I went into tons of stores at both parks and all they had were generic character shirts...nothing with the park branding whatsoever. I was extremely upset!!:fork: I did see one guy with a DisneySea shirt, but for the amount of time I spent looking I would have thought this would be easy to find.

Figment632

Yes, because they've been doing so much of that recently...:lookaroun

Yea you got a point there, I know a lot of people might not agree but I think WDW is getting screwed over by the DCA returb, over a billion dollars being spent and they are probaly reluctant to throw more money into the other parks right now. Thats just the the way I look at it.

njDizFan

That dialogue is hilarious.
And sad.

Seriously, if each shop isn't going to have something unique about it, why not have one big shop per park?
Personally, if I AM going to buy something, I would prefer it to be something that you can only get at a specific place on the property. It makes it seem more special. Why would I want to get something at WDW that I can just as easily get from the Disney store online?

Also, it seems like it would give guests more of a sense of urgency. It's "well, if I don't get it NOW, I might not be able to find it anywhere else" vs. "Why worry about getting it NOW? I can probably pick it up at any of the 100 shops I'll pass later."
That's a great point!! The impulse buy no longer has the same impact. Years ago if you didn't purchase that item you were looking at, there may not be another opportunity. Now I can browse a store find something I may like, get a chance to think about it, and then decide without any urgency if I really want it. Because I know the next store or park will have the same item. Chances are after getting time to think about it, I will decide not to buy.

SirGoofy

Yea you got a point there, I know a lot of people might not agree but I think WDW is getting screwed over by the DCA returb, over a billion dollars being spent and they are probaly reluctant to throw more money into the other parks right now. Thats just the the way I look at it.

DCA has nothing to do with WDW. Yes any extra money maybe going to DCA, but WDW still has its budget. It just isn't being used on anything substantial.

TinkerBelle8878

I came back from a trip recently and it was kind of sad that all the stores have almost the exact same thing. I remember as a kid, if I wanted something specific that I'd seen, that I'd have to remember where I saw it or buy it then.

Judging by the amount of people carrying bags out of stores, I don't think this merchandise homogenization is as profitable as Disney thinks it is. There's only so many times I can see an item without being turned off of it completely.

The first time is cute, the second a little less cute and by the fiftyith time I just want it out of my sight.

And the QS food homogenization is bad. I don't like hamburgers and yet in the parks I'd yet to find a place that actually sold a grilled chicken sandwich. I don't mean something elaborate or fancy either. Just a piece of chicken on a bun.

Don't even get me started on $9.00 for a normal tuna salad sandwich.

Cmdr_Crimson

the 50's diner and the scifi diner used to have there own now thats all gone.

Wow..I was lucky to get a few Sci-fi napkins on my last trip in Sept/Oct.

With everything going corporate now a days it's like your just being thrown ads left and right...Six Flags...Don't get me started...It's not even mentioning the name of the park..but just SIX FLAGS......and that's it..It's sickning.:brick::hurl:

yankspy

I came back from a trip recently and it was kind of sad that all the stores have almost the exact same thing. I remember as a kid, if I wanted something specific that I'd seen, that I'd have to remember where I saw it or buy it then.

Judging by the amount of people carrying bags out of stores, I don't think this merchandise homogenization is as profitable as Disney thinks it is. There's only so many times I can see an item without being turned off of it completely.

The first time is cute, the second a little less cute and by the fiftyith time I just want it out of my sight.

And the QS food homogenization is bad. I don't like hamburgers and yet in the parks I'd yet to find a place that actually sold a grilled chicken sandwich. I don't mean something elaborate or fancy either. Just a piece of chicken on a bun.

Don't even get me started on $9.00 for a normal tuna salad sandwich.
I agree with the merchandise. It used to be that if you wanted Epcot Merchandise you had to go to Epcot.

I have to disagree with the QS dining though. This has vastly improved since I was a kid. It used to be all burgers. I remember going to Stargate for the first time and being amazed that they served pizza. As far as finding a grilled chicken sandwich, I just did a quick search and found at least four places in different parks that have them.:shrug:

brent2124

Your observation was first apparent to me as well a couple of years ago.
When we were touring the World Showcase at Epcot in 2007 I noticed the merchandise offered in the shops was very different from what was available before in 1987 and 1990, the last time we had been there. Less specific, less unique and more generic. We definately left with less souvenirs purchased than in previous years. For example, one item available in 1987 in Germany was a T-shirt with Mickey wearing lederhosen with "Epcot World Showcase Germany" splashed across and the country outline behind with the country flag. Each country had its own specific t-shirt, and other merchandise, not anymore, sadly. I only noticed shirts that were more country specific with no correlation to Epcot or WDW. Most of the items I could have purchased online form some other store.
It is a sign of the times, especially in large corporations looking to cut costs, it is an area easy to find a quick savings. Unfortunately it can take away from the general atmosphere or the unique flavor of the park, attraction, restaurant, or shop, etc.
Are you really comparing the merchandise over a 17 year span?

JiggleStuff

Most of us love Disney World, but sometimes it's good to take off the rose-colored glasses for a bit and realize Disney is not perfect.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!
WDW has always been and will always be...PERFECT!!! We will always have the best of all possible WDWs!!!

WDW cannot fail, it can only be failed!!!

dazzer68

Original Poster
glad im not the only one that thinks this.
one poster mention people and the bags they were carrying, thats a thing we did notice not many people were carrying bags of stuff bought in the parks, even at the end of the day when getting on the buses, there werent many bags fighting for space!
bring back more exclusive park merchandise, and keep it to the relevant park and area. everything in the park seems to be available at the world of disney store, so you dont even need to go into the park to get park stuff. and your right about the amount of times you see something , you eventually get sick of seeing the same item in every store every day, and end up not purchasing it.id rather see something and know i probably couldnt get it any where else unless i bought it there and then.

JustPlainBill

Are you really comparing the merchandise over a 17 year span?
Not in and of itself.
I was showing an exaggerated example of the OPs issue from the perspective of someone who hadn't been to Epcot in 17 years.
Someone who goes to Epcot more often may not have picked up on it as quickly if it was something that happened gradually over time, not being sure myself if it did happen that way.
I thought it was an interesting thing to notice.

SirGoofy

I have to disagree with the QS dining though. This has vastly improved since I was a kid. It used to be all burgers. I remember going to Stargate for the first time and being amazed that they served pizza. As far as finding a grilled chicken sandwich, I just did a quick search and found at least four places in different parks that have them.:shrug:

Ah, but there was a period about 7-10 years ago when the choices for QS were spectacular. Sure there were the burgers and chicken nuggets, but then there were places like Electric Umbrella, that had some of the best sandwhiches I've ever had in a theme park. Same with Cosmic Ray's. Now all you get is pretty much the same slop everywhere with a "unique" choice at each location.

Dragonrider1227

I think it's a cost effective thing. The only part that annoys me really are the merchandise. I AM sick of seeing the same swirly light toys in every store.
Mind you, I don't really mind the idea of being able to get the same stuff from Epcot and Magic Kingdom at Downtown Disney. I loved the idea of being able to buy Disney World stuff without having to pay Disney World admission on top of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom