Trip Report Everything Is Just So Peachy Keen! *COMPLETED*

It certainly was for us Georgia peaches this last week! For those who may be new here, let us introduce ourselves. We are Tuvalu and Em, a mother-daughter duo who love traveling together to Walt Disney World. We take multiple trips per year (this was our third for 2022) and for us, time spent at our resort is just as important to us as time spent in the parks. Slow-paced relaxation is vital to us!

I’m sure this laid-back vibe is what draws people to cruises: pools, bars, a variety of restaurants and activities from which to choose . I can’t do ships. But I can happily “land cruise” at WDW!

Hope you decide to follow along and learn about the surprises on our most recent voyage.

When: July 20-27, 2022
Where: Disney’s Yacht Club and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Resorts

7E160415-7A3A-4F3E-864F-F9C0094A947D.jpeg

Nothing can stop us now!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our table was a great people-watching spot.

I saw a person wearing the perfect tee for all you introverts ~
I Want To Be
Where The People Aren’t

Our server came by to check on us. She knew we were only having drinks (no food) and asked if we were ready for the bill. Of course we were. Em had 3 margaritas and y’all know what a lightweight I am! 🤣

We perused the shops on Hollywood Blvd. on our way out of the park. There was also a Donald sighting.

DF86BC99-3B59-45AA-B0AB-04BD52014BD6.jpeg

We got to the dock as a boat was pulling in.

E7B62A3A-EE5D-4131-A304-05D671E17EE3.jpeg

It was a slow, long, HOT ride. All the windows were closed and there was no air circulation. It was worse than riding in a monorail cab with the notoriously poor a/c.

AC275732-9EA4-4794-AE82-E0C0B94A2716.jpeg

Melting people.

All remnants of the former ESPN Club on the Boardwalk were now gone.
63F8DF6A-FD1C-43CA-94EB-AE7BCED765A5.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I were so ready for pool time!

It was mid-afternoon and we figured Stormalong Bay would be packed. We decided to take a peek at the quiet pool (to assess crowd level) before going back to our room.

It was a LONG walk from the boat. And did I mention it was HOT? I wasn’t sure of the exact location for the quiet pool, but as soon as we could enter a side door and walk through interior hallways, we did.

I bet this looks familiar, @Swissmiss!

A74FA6B9-22A4-4E1E-B9BB-147747F8F76E.jpeg

Nope, not crowded at all. But it was a hike to our room from here and one we’d have to make again after we put our swimsuits on.

Stormalong Bay was much closer. And the relaxation grotto was calling us.

C333AE5B-00A3-4FBF-AE18-B767E69B958C.jpeg

6B0ADCE4-EDD7-48E9-82F1-4B69282FF5D7.jpeg

Ninety minutes in the water on a steamy summer day. Perfect!

joshsprincess921

Not sure if anyone is familiar with Molly from Allears on YouTube but she recently left the company and started her own channel with her husband and friend. I was watching the first video today which was Food and Wine when suddenly I believe I see a Shirley sighting! I rewind and yep! Look right over Molly’s shoulder. @Tuvalu and Em!
A0C81E7C-6589-4038-B4F5-EC2511B184AD.jpeg

If anyone is interested in seeing the sighting in action, her new channel is called Mammoth Club and it was at minute 11.22 to be exact!

Spash007

Thursday, con't

While at lunch Em mentioned that there was something else she wanted to do at DHS.

"It doesn't have to be today, but I'd like to do it this trip."

There's no time like the present, I thought.

"I'm game now!" I replied enthusiastically.

(But I'll make you stop for pictures first, muwahaha!)

You may remember my darling daughter has a fondness for margaritas. She'd read there was a margarita flight available in the park and she was intrigued.

She was even willing to sit outdoors to partake.

View attachment 658928

View attachment 658932

While we have dined at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant several times, this would be our first experience at the lounge. The walk up list was not available through MDE so we thought we'd give it a try in person.

View attachment 658927

Em went to find someone who could help us.

Another Chatty Cathy found me.

“Phew it’s SO HOT!” CC exclaimed loudly, clearly wanting to engage me in conversation.

I nodded. She continued speaking.

“I shouldn’t have worn black. It’s too hot. I didn’t bother showering today.”

Well thanks for letting me know!

She was continuing with her stream of consciousness when Em approached with a host, who said there was a table for us (thank goodness!) if we didn’t mind partial sun.

We took the table.

I don’t care for tequila so my libation of choice was a Magical Star. (Is that what you like @Minthorne?) I could do without the glow cube, but I took it home to add to my collection. The Tuva-tinys think the cubes are fun!

View attachment 658930

Em with her margarita flight ~ pomegranate, classic and blood orange. Her favorite was the blood orange. She said the classic was the strongest. It had a floater on top.

View attachment 658929

Before our drinks had arrived a party sat down at an adjacent table.

View attachment 658931

It was CC and her family. When Em’s margarita flight went past her, she craned her neck to see “what those interesting drinks are!” She then ordered the flight for herself (you can see it in the picture.)

Note that the rest of the family had their heads buried in their phones. 😉
So the question is, does the lady chat because her family doesn’t listen, or do they use the phones to get out of her chatting?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

For dinner we thought we’d try a walk up to Beaches and Cream.

We knew a few things:
Eating early or at non-peak dining hours increases likelihood of walk up availability here
A party of 1 or 2 has increased odds of success
Walk-ups typically must sit at the counter

What we didn’t know:
You cannot inquire about availability at the check in desk
You will be told to go into MDE to check walk-up availability (You must be at the restaurant for this feature to work)
You add your party to the virtual “list” and are given an approximate wait time.

I put Em in charge of this task and we were given a wait time of 45 minutes. No biggie. We had nowhere to be.

2DDDD717-90CA-4D94-8B0E-F62A9216E79D.jpeg

And only in Disney “world” can 45 minutes = 10 minutes.

Our first time at the counter. “Dinner AND a show!” declared Em.

0E7122EF-1D8A-45E7-B293-D1F0B398AB3C.jpeg

65D1C4D4-C846-4DDD-9A89-CDD3A5C408AC.jpeg

I liked the bar-height stools. A little bit of #ShirleyStatus as the others were below me. 🤣

032EB152-E8B2-4308-9D9A-E0E9BEBC76A0.jpeg

We were so happy to have 25-year B&C vet B as our server. He has waited on us for years (most recently the month prior) and is familiar with our likes. He could easily compete with any server at a signature restaurant. When we asked him if there was any other location where he would like to work he answered, “Only Hoop Dee Doo.”

“So you wanna do the Strawberry Shortcake song and dance?” Em teased.

This led to a conversation about another long-term B&C server but more on that later.

We placed our order and watched the “show”. One of us more carefully than the other.

“I don’t think he used a whole can of whipped cream,” Em commented after watching a Kitchen Sink creation from scratch. “It did not spray all the way out at the end.”

Were guests being duped? Was a WHOLE CAN of whipped cream really not being used?

We had the opportunity to investigate for ourselves as another Kitchen Sink was being made before our eyes.

14BBBD82-BB0B-4DFF-AB8E-673947F218CF.jpeg

C8F67631-A501-4118-AECF-20889129215F.jpeg

I’m fairly confident this CM overheard Em’s earlier comment. She indeed used a whole can of whipped cream and then looked at us and smiled.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our food arrived. Cheeseburger and fries for Em.

52C35B6E-8728-441E-B733-74CFA84C816C.jpeg

Grilled chicken sandwich (my way) for me.

B879A3DD-02C7-4566-95D8-E78A6B0A608C.jpeg

We saved room for dessert. Em was prepared to order her mock (smaller) version of the No Way José since she could not attempt the regular size on her own. (And I don’t do peanut butter on ice cream.) When B arrived to take our order, he informed her that a key ingredient of the No Way José had been MIA for 3 weeks (supply chain problem) and there was (in his and Em’s opinion) a lesser substitute being used. Em thanked him for the heads up.

2F828CA3-DC7B-4726-9D7B-0998A3D61D8E.jpeg

We also talked about the Kitchen Sink, as one was being ceremoniously presented as B brought us our sundaes. I told him about the most incredible Kitchen Sink experience we’d witnessed years ago. Two slim teenage girls had ordered….and finished….a Kitchen Sink.

But wait, there’s more.

Then they ordered milkshakes. And fries. And proceeded to nibble on the fries while drinking the shakes. (My intestinal system is quivering just writing about all that dairy!)

B smiled and then shared it is VERY COMMON for British guests to order Kitchen Sinks with milkshakes! (No food.)

So to my friends from across the pond ~ do you not have good ice cream/shakes over there?!!?

fractal

Thursday, con’t

For dinner we thought we’d try a walk up to Beaches and Cream.

We knew a few things:
Eating early or at non-peak dining hours increases likelihood of walk up availability here
A party of 1 or 2 has increased odds of success
Walk-ups typically must sit at the counter

What we didn’t know:
You will be told to go into MDE to check walk-up availability (You must be at the restaurant for this feature to work)
You add your party to the virtual “list” and are given an approximate wait time.

I put Em in charge of this task and we were given a wait time of 45 minutes. No biggie. We had nowhere to be.

View attachment 659062

And only in Disney “world” can 45 minutes = 10 minutes.

Our first time at the counter. “Dinner AND a show!” declared Em.

View attachment 659063

View attachment 659065

I liked the bar-height stools. A little bit of #ShirleyStatus as the others were below me. 🤣

View attachment 659064

We were so happy to have 25-year B&C vet B as our server. He has waited on us for years (most recently the month prior) and is familiar with our likes. He could easily compete with any server at a signature restaurant. When we asked him if there was any other location where he would like to work he answered, “Only Hoop Dee Doo.”

“So you wanna do the Strawberry Shortcake song and dance?” Em teased.

This led to a conversation about another long-term B&C server but more on that later.

We placed our order and watched the “show”. One of us more carefully than the other.

“I don’t think he used a whole can of whipped cream,” Em commented after watching a Kitchen Sink creation from scratch. “It did not spray all the way out at the end.”

Were guests being duped? Was a WHOLE CAN of whipped cream really not being used?

We had the opportunity to investigate for ourselves as another Kitchen Sink was being made before our eyes.

View attachment 659066

View attachment 659067

I’m fairly confident this CM overheard Em’s earlier comment. She indeed used a whole can of whipped cream and then looked at us and smiled.

I love that you are keeping them honest about the kitchen sink!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I were just about finished when we received a surprise.

I had asked B earlier the whereabouts of another Beaches and Cream old timer (and fave server of @Loco_driver), Herlina. I hadn’t seen her on my last several visits and wondered if she had cut back her shifts. B said she had left to go work at Be Our Guest.

Well B unexpectedly ran into Herlina backstage and sent her over to see us! She happened to be there for a B&C supervisor’s last day party.

6A2B3861-B4D1-470E-BD24-1502DAB43CA8.jpeg

It was such fun to catch up with her! Herlina told us it was on her Bucket List to someday work in a park. When the BOG opportunity presented itself, she jumped on it. She works the lunch shift and loves it. Fun fact: there are 75 Cast Members per shift to serve Be Our Guest’s 3200-3500 guests per day.

While I am happy for her, I am very sad that BOG’s quick service lunch….which we LOVED….is never to return. :cry:

BwlrBry212

Em with her margarita flight ~ pomegranate, classic and blood orange. Her favorite was the blood orange. She said the classic was the strongest. It had a floater on top.
LOVE the margarita flight at Brown Derby Lounge. That and a cobb salad makes for a perfect lunch!

muddyrivers

What we didn’t know:
Not to be sour grapes, but it makes no sense to me why Disney forces you to use the mobile app when the person who told you you can't inquire about availability at the check in desk could have added your party to the waitlist and explained what you should do in the future. That is, if you could put your name on the list without actually having to be at the restaurant.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works but it feels sort of like a Catch 22. You can't put your name on the list without using the app but you can't use the feature of the app without being at the restaurant

GIF by Achievement Hunter

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not to be sour grapes, but it makes no sense to me why Disney forces you to use the mobile app when the person who told you you can't inquire about availability at the check in desk could have added your party to the waitlist and explained what you should do in the future. That is, if you could put your name on the list without actually having to be at the restaurant.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works but it feels sort of like a Catch 22. You can't put your name on the list without using the app but you can't use the feature of the app without being at the restaurant

GIF by Achievement Hunter
Yep GIF by The Pozek Group

I miss the BOG lunch as well. Such a bummer it's not coming back!
I Agree You And Me Both GIF by Kim's Convenience

Minthorne

I don’t care for tequila so my libation of choice was a Magical Star. (Is that what you like @Minthorne?) I could do without the glow cube, but I took it home to add to my collection. The Tuva-tinys think the cubes are fun!

View attachment 658930
Yes indeed that's the one. Although at Brown Derby I'd be following Em's lead with the margarita flight!

I take the cubes home and give them out with candy to the best costumes from Halloween trick-or-treaters.

Loco_driver

When B arrived to take our order, he informed her that a key ingredient of the No Way José had been MIA for 3 weeks (supply chain problem) and there was (in his and Em’s opinion) a lesser substitute being used.
What’s the ingredient?
Confused What Is It GIF by Kim's Convenience

I won’t be back to WDW until December, so I hope they sort it out by then!

Also I’m already sad thinking about going to B&C and not getting to see my “Disney Mom” as she so proudly called herself. I know many people have special connections with certain CMs and she was ours. She always remembered us and went out of her way to visit with us and catch us up on news of her son who she was always bragging on, even if we weren’t seated at her table. If anyone could get me to go back to be our guest it would be Herlina!

slipperalwaysfits

We were so happy to have 25-year B&C vet B as our server. He has waited on us for years (most recently the month prior) and is familiar with our likes.
We have had B twice before and LOVE him!! You are so lucky! I hope we get B when we go at Thanksgiving!!!
Well B unexpectedly ran into Herlina backstage and sent her over to see us! She happened to be there for a B&C supervisor’s last day party.
Talk about DISNEY Magic and great timing! What a wonderful story!! I know some people would have looked at that BOG uniform at Beaches and been confused. How great that you got to talk to her!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom