Ethics / Loopholes

crxbrett

Gawd I got so picked on by my own family (more so bullied :cautious:) because I was a goodytwoshoes, school nerd and all with no rule breaking and such. Well, apparently being a goodytwoshoes gave me the honor of being the first in my family (and extended family) with a 4 year college degree.

I'd like to see them..
tumblr_m1v5coLCQ91qb9pa3o1_500.gif

Good job! That's a nice story.

Is that Teen Witch?

HwdStudio

I listen to a lot of Disney podcasts and read a lot of articles and feel like I'm pretty in-the-know. Lately I've come across a podcast that seems to primarily look for ways to get over on Disney and not get caught. I'm wondering what the community here thinks about this. Things like:

Pushing up your reservation dates to make FP reservations, then backing back the trip to your actual dates.
Making fake MDE accounts and linking them up to get extra FPs.
Making and holding a bunch of dining reservations that you know you won't use but cancelling at the last moment to allow flexibility. As I planned our upcoming trip I made more reservations that I knew we'd use, but I've cancelled the extras now and we're still over a month out.
I'm sure we can come up with more.

I'm a pretty frugal person and love to get the most I can for the $$. And frankly I do love a situation where planning and research puts me into an advantageous position compared to someone who hasn't taken the time to plan. Things like what I mentioned above are why rules get changed to make things even more restrictive.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The things you mentioned end up hurting those of us who do things the right way. I absolutely can’t stand it when people constantly try to game the system.

HwdStudio

This may be a decent place to post this then:

Was at Universal one time, approaching the ticket line. To the left there is a queue with about 30 people in line, however the right side queue is completely clear, and a person in the office. I assume maybe the other side is all one group, or has some special needs (this was true in a way) so wife and I walk up to the open side. Well JoeJimMAGABob in the other side comes up and tells us that they have all been waiting, and I need to get back in line. I tell him that both sides were open, the signs explicitly stated both aisles were open, and it wasnt my fault he couldn't read. Guy stands between us and the booth, lady inside says nothing, and I guess to avoid argument my wife decides to walk over to guest relations. I yell to BubbaEarl and his group that it wasn't my fault that this guy and his "dumb illiterate redneck family can't F-ing read"

Was I wrong? Not my problem that an entire group can't read, and that I opt out of stupidity.
Are you sure the 2 opened windows weren’t both serving 1 line with whichever window became available taking the next guest in line? It happens all of the time at UO and so many other places. 1 line of people to several opened windows. The attendant at the window you walked up to may not have been ready for the next guest. They will usually say next guest when they are ready. You are probably lucking that a few if not all of those 30 people ahead of you didn’t get more physical with you after yelling at them.

Phonedave

Are you sure the 2 opened windows weren’t both serving 1 line with whichever window became available taking the next guest in line? It happens all of the time at UO and so many other places. 1 line of people to several opened windows. The attendant at the window you walked up to may not have been ready for the next guest. They will usually say next guest when they are ready. You are probably lucking that a few if not all of those 30 people ahead of you didn’t get more physical with you after yelling at them.

This happens all of the time at my local grocery store. If you use self scanning as you go (in other worlds you scan your stuff with your cell phone and bag it as you go around the store) you have to check out through the self check out lanes.

There are 6 self check outs, and a sign that clearly says "The line for self check out starts here". There is one line, and as each register opens, the next person in line goes.

Invariably, somebody comes breezing in, and jumps right onto the first open self check out. The 5 or so people in line then have to point out that the line starts back there.

Honestly, I have never seen anybody get rowdy over it. It is because they legitimately did not notice the line, and they apologize, and are more embarrassed than anything else, and they go to the back of the line.

-dave

danyoung56

I fully expect to walk in a public bathroom one day to find a Starbucks in there for people to enjoy while they update their facebook statuses in the stalls while some poor schmuck waits in agony on the outside.

A couple of weeks ago I actually saw a guy in the men's room standing at the urinal, doing his business while he was reading off of his cell phone!

There are 6 self check outs, and a sign that clearly says "The line for self check out starts here". There is one line, and as each register opens, the next person in line goes.

My grocery store has 6 self checkouts too, but they're kinda unspecific about the lines. If there's no line, I just stand sorta in the middle and take the first of 4 machines that opens up. But sometimes a line has formed in front of machines 1 & 2, and another line for machines 3 & 4. You just have to have some situational awareness, and go with the flow.

jaklgreen

This may be a decent place to post this then:

Was at Universal one time, approaching the ticket line. To the left there is a queue with about 30 people in line, however the right side queue is completely clear, and a person in the office. I assume maybe the other side is all one group, or has some special needs (this was true in a way) so wife and I walk up to the open side. Well JoeJimMAGABob in the other side comes up and tells us that they have all been waiting, and I need to get back in line. I tell him that both sides were open, the signs explicitly stated both aisles were open, and it wasnt my fault he couldn't read. Guy stands between us and the booth, lady inside says nothing, and I guess to avoid argument my wife decides to walk over to guest relations. I yell to BubbaEarl and his group that it wasn't my fault that this guy and his "dumb illiterate redneck family can't F-ing read"

Was I wrong? Not my problem that an entire group can't read, and that I opt out of stupidity.

You know how at the counter service restaurants at WDW they help you on both sides. Well it says that both sides are open so I usually go to the shortest line, which had no one in it. For some reason people are sheep and just get behind a person and do not pay attention that both sides are open. I have received some nasty looks and snide comments because I just followed the signs. Not my fault people can't read. LOL

DfromATX

There's a girl in my office who has gone to Disney most of her life. (She's Colombian and from Florida, but now lives in Texas.) Anyway, she actually admitted to me that when they go there's usually so many of them that they create a ruckus and some sneak into the fast pass line. She even prefaced it by saying, "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but..." :cautious:

I think Disney is getting more strict about it. We noticed in June they were double checking people's fast passes, at least in the hot rides like FOP. She's going in November and I think she'll be in for a surprise if she tries it again.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

A couple of weeks ago I actually saw a guy in the men's room standing at the urinal, doing his business while he was reading off of his cell phone!

My grocery store has 6 self checkouts too, but they're kinda unspecific about the lines. If there's no line, I just stand sorta in the middle and take the first of 4 machines that opens up. But sometimes a line has formed in front of machines 1 & 2, and another line for machines 3 & 4. You just have to have some situational awareness, and go with the flow.
There is absolutely zero sense of surprise in my body right now. I would say that cell phones have been used in some VERY unorthodox places but it's almost like they've became an extension of people's beings and they just don't even think of how there's supposed to be a time and a place for everything.

crxbrett

I see this all too often now, including at work! And some people actually answer their phones while urinating or sitting on the toilet! Just wow. lol

crxbrett

There's a girl in my office who has gone to Disney most of her life. (She's Colombian and from Florida, but now lives in Texas.) Anyway, she actually admitted to me that when they go there's usually so many of them that they create a ruckus and some sneak into the fast pass line. She even prefaced it by saying, "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but..." :cautious:

I think Disney is getting more strict about it. We noticed in June they were double checking people's fast passes, at least in the hot rides like FOP. She's going in November and I think she'll be in for a surprise if she tries it again.

I don't know about WDW, but I was just at DL the past two weekends and on three separate occasions saw heard CMs call people back that didn't have a FP/MP in the Fastpass line after they tried breezing past the scanner. All three did not have one and were essentially 'busted' and told to either get a Maxpass/Fastpass or go to the standby line. I was glad to see Disney is enforcing the rules.

HansGruber

FPs can be abused to no end.
Just go to the front desk, make up a story and they'll usually be happy to issue you a "master" FP for any park.

Or if anything should go wrong, complaints to the front desk will usually be compensated with extra FPs.

World_Showcase_Lover007

I’m all for ppl using hacks if that’s what they want to do. I don’t like that some of these could inconvenience other ppl, but that aside, this all seems like too much extra work for this purpose.

I will plan and research Disney everyday, all day for things like FPs, discounts, restaurant reviews, itineraries, crowd calendars and a ton more... but putting so much time and effort toward something so negative and callous would just drag me down. Disney is my happy place, not a place to scheme.

Nick Pappagiorgio

"Making fake MDE accounts and linking them up to get extra FPs."

I don't understand how that would even work??

I listen to said podcast here is basically how it would work: Lets assume I a single person am going to the Magic Kingdom for one day just to make things easy.

To do this you need your primary account with a linked ticket. You book three fastpasses the normal way for early in the day. You then have a 2nd profile. You don't need another account just another person with a ticket or annual pass.

I make a Splash, Space and BTM FP on my main account preferably for reasonably early in the day.

I make a SDMT, Pirates, and HM FP on a made up profile that has an old non-expiring ticket on it.

I enter the park on my own and use the three legit fastpasses. I then load the mobile website on my phone and use the change party feature to move the SDMT fastpass over to my main profile. I use that Fastpass. I then repeat the process two more times to use up the other two FPs.

Thats generally how it works. I've never tried it, too much to manage and to much work for vacation.

DfromATX

I listen to said podcast here is basically how it would work: Lets assume I a single person am going to the Magic Kingdom for one day just to make things easy.

To do this you need your primary account with a linked ticket. You book three fastpasses the normal way for early in the day. You then have a 2nd profile. You don't need another account just another person with a ticket or annual pass.

I make a Splash, Space and BTM FP on my main account preferably for reasonably early in the day.

I make a SDMT, Pirates, and HM FP on a made up profile that has an old non-expiring ticket on it.

I enter the park on my own and use the three legit fastpasses. I then load the mobile website on my phone and use the change party feature to move the SDMT fastpass over to my main profile. I use that Fastpass. I then repeat the process two more times to use up the other two FPs.

Thats generally how it works. I've never tried it, too much to manage and to much work for vacation.

That's too complicated for me lol. Seems to me if the 2nd profile has a ticket or annual pass then it's not really scamming? Thanks for trying to explain it to me.

DfromATX

I don't know about WDW, but I was just at DL the past two weekends and on three separate occasions saw heard CMs call people back that didn't have a FP/MP in the Fastpass line after they tried breezing past the scanner. All three did not have one and were essentially 'busted' and told to either get a Maxpass/Fastpass or go to the standby line. I was glad to see Disney is enforcing the rules.

Good!

DisAl

Haven't they cracked down on that by not allowing FP transfers, and only allowing FPs to be used on a "ticket" that was used to enter the park?

philbrody

Ethics themselves are not exactly cut and dry in many cases. I make multiple ADR's since I dont know when closing will be and I like to have the reservation starting 4 hours prior to closing. Get out, do three FP's, and leave the park. Ethical? I think so, but the OP probably doesn't. I can also say without hesitation I don't push to the front of the line, but I have no patience either for people who are milling about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom