"Escape from Tomorrow" guerilla film shot inside WDW

Next Big Thing

Considering how much the actor talks about the film being about the lead's struggles - I have a hard time buying into the theory the film will be protected under fair-use. The parks are the setting and irony..
Disney will undergo a lot of bad press if they decide to go after this film. Not only that, but the fact that the director stated he doesn't expect to release the film helps him big time in any possible legal battle.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney will undergo a lot of bad press if they decide to go after this film. Not only that, but the fact that the director stated he doesn't expect to release the film helps him big time in any possible legal battle.

It doesn't help him at all really - the purpose of the film is already well established. It's a commercial film created for exposition. He can't undo that portion. Stating the film won't be distributed only stands to keep Disney at bay.. with the idea of 'it will go away if you just let it die..' and ultimately limits damages Disney could seek. But the guy doesn't have to release the film to keep showing it at other festivals or events.

For Disney it's a PR balance.. balancing protecting their image.. vs avoiding looking like the bad guy while trying to protect their image.

Pixiedustmaker

Actually the majority of animation already is. And a lot of effects work is,weta. But as far as editing a finished product the only way it will happen is if accompanied by the director. Do you honestly think a skilled director is going to let his filmed be edited by a person with little or no experience. Post production on a film very seldom lay goes bargain basement and it probably never will. Family guy, the Simpsons yes but a multi million dollar feature film it won't happen and it shouldnt

The director did go to South Korea, there is video of him in a south Korean market somewhere.

Obviously, a director doesn't cede his/her creative choices when doing post-production work overseas . . . which has been happening for a while in Hollywood. Post production work overseas is cheap, and is frequently done on many films.

If you haven't worked in the biz then you might not know this . . .

"The "Kill Bill" films relied heavily on the labor of offshore workers and overseas locations. Yet outsourcing is nothing new to Hollywood. Previous generations of Hollywood films have sent animation, visual effects, and post-production work to companies overseas. There is a new sense of crisis among American film industry workers, however, over "runaway productions" - films and TV shows that for economic reasons are shot wholly or almost wholly outside the U.S."

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/hollowing-out-hollywood

"According to a 1999 study commissioned by the Directors Guild of America and the Screen Actors Guild, runaways have increased from 14 percent of total US film and television productions in 1990 to 27 percent in 1998. They have a total negative economic impact of over $10 billion a year. Today the practice has reached what the Los Angeles Times calls "epidemic" levels and involves many big-budget, high-profile pictures like the Academy-Award winning "Chicago"."

This article is about ten years old, and the problem of run-aways has gotten worse, IMHO. And yes, big budget films have post-production work done overseas all the time.

Welcome to Hollywood.

M.rudolf

The director did go to South Korea, there is video of him in a south Korean market somewhere.

Obviously, a director doesn't cede his/her creative choices when doing post-production work overseas . . . which has been happening for a while in Hollywood. Post production work overseas is cheap, and is frequently done on many films.

If you haven't worked in the biz then you might not know this . . .

"The "Kill Bill" films relied heavily on the labor of offshore workers and overseas locations. Yet outsourcing is nothing new to Hollywood. Previous generations of Hollywood films have sent animation, visual effects, and post-production work to companies overseas. There is a new sense of crisis among American film industry workers, however, over "runaway productions" - films and TV shows that for economic reasons are shot wholly or almost wholly outside the U.S."

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/hollowing-out-hollywood

"According to a 1999 study commissioned by the Directors Guild of America and the Screen Actors Guild, runaways have increased from 14 percent of total US film and television productions in 1990 to 27 percent in 1998. They have a total negative economic impact of over $10 billion a year. Today the practice has reached what the Los Angeles Times calls "epidemic" levels and involves many big-budget, high-profile pictures like the Academy-Award winning "Chicago"."

This article is about ten years old, and the problem of run-aways has gotten worse, IMHO.
Yes that is all filming they are referring too not post production work. Also before you consider kill bill a blockbuster maybe you look at the numbers. Of course they've been running to Australia, Vancouver and numerous other locations. But I promise you that
All post on bill was done in the states as for not knowing about the biz I grew up on started on superman and have been there thru the majority of my life. In the past 10 years ca has given many incentives but now places like New Orleans are also giving a lot of incentives. But the work is coming back to the states I find it funny patty's gone and you start where her conversation left off.

Pixiedustmaker

They don't need to - so this is superfluous.

Apparently legal experts disagree with you by saying that under satire, parody, fair use, . . . the guy might be in the clear with what he did. If so, Disney might well add conditions to people entering the parks, nothing illegal about doing that.

If you put a guitar playing, cowboy hat and boot wearing, half naked built guy in your shot walking around.. even if you never saw his face.. you'd be getting a call because you are infringing on the unquie, identifiable likeness established by the Naked Cowboy and he'd claim you are trying to use his likeness w/o permission.

Are you saying that somebody can't videotape the Naked Cowboy as part of a documentary/movie about New York? Seems to me that if you're walking around NYC in underwear and with a guitar you're just asking to be photographed/videotaped. If you're walking around in your underwear . . . you don't seem to care about your privacy at all. I know about the M&M case, but I can still ask Naked Cowboy some questions and put it in a film.

Given that you aren't a lawyer Flynn, (but an electrician/electrical engineer I believe), it might be that there are legal nuances that you don't know about. You can, of course, comment on your gut instinct about what is fair and proper, but that doesn't necessarily have any relation to the law.

Pixiedustmaker

Yes that is all filming they are referring too not post production work. Also before you consider kill bill a blockbuster maybe you look at the numbers. Of course they've been running to Australia, Vancouver and numerous other locations. But I promise you that
All post on bill was done in the states as for not knowing about the biz I grew up on started on superman and have been there thru the majority of my life. In the past 10 years ca has given many incentives but now places like New Orleans are also giving a lot of incentives. But the work is coming back to the states I find it funny patty's gone and you start where her conversation left off.

The article also talks about post-production work,

"Previous generations of Hollywood films have sent animation, visual effects, and post-production work to companies overseas."

It is no secret that Hollywood also utilizes post-production facilities outside of the U.S., and that with digital film, the trend will only accelerate.

Pixiedustmaker

He didn't go there to save money he went there for secrecy

How do you know that?

The film had finished filming, and he likely needed a place where he could cheaply complete post-production work. Seems like a cheap film and that he decided to use much cheaper facilities in South Korea to finish the project. He could have used non-disclosure agreements with facilities in the U.S..

M.rudolf

The article also talks about post-production work,

"Previous generations of Hollywood films have sent animation, visual effects, and post-production work to companies overseas."

It is no secret that Hollywood also utilizes post-production facilities outside of the U.S., and that with digital film, the trend will only accelerate.

Yes but you were directly commenting about editing, which doesn't usually take place outside of the us, unless its animation, I don't disagree if a director is on hand then it's possible for editing to tale place out of country, but not normal. Kill bill as you used was filmed out of country but digital effects were done in house in the USA as was editing. Other than New Zealand the majority of effects houses are here. And yes your ninja turtles,Simpsons family guy are all done overseas, Hell even planes is. But the majority of live action is still done here in the states, filming may be in china but post is usually here.

M.rudolf

How do you know that?

The film had finished filming, and he likely needed a place where he could cheaply complete post-production work. Seems like a cheap film and that he decided to use much cheaper facilities in South Korea to finish the project. He could have used non-disclosure agreements with facilities in the U.S..
He said it in an interview he left the country die to secrecy. Also using the canon all he needed was Final Cut Pro and he's do no need for an editing room

Pixiedustmaker

Yes but you were directly commenting about editing, which doesn't usually take place outside of the us, unless its animation, I don't disagree if a director is on hand then it's possible for editing to tale place out of country, but not normal. Kill bill as you used was filmed out of country but digital effects were done in house in the USA as was editing. Other than New Zealand the majority of effects houses are here. And yes your ninja turtles,Simpsons family guy are all done overseas, Hell even planes is. But the majority of live action is still done here in the states, filming may be in china but post is usually here.

Ah, directors are doing a lot of editing online these days, whether it is between facilities in the U.S., or outside the U.S. where editing/subtitles, and other post-production work is being done. In some cases it is cheaper to fly out to South Korea, or another country, if the post-production period will last for months, involve a relatively large number of people . . . the amount of money saved can be substantial.

Pixiedustmaker

He said it in an interview he left the country die to secrecy. Also using the canon all he needed was Final Cut Pro and he's do no need for an editing room

Doesn't make sense . . . he doesn't need an editing room, he can do it on a computer, but he leaves the country. Must be paranoid on a psychiatric level.

M.rudolf

Doesn't make sense . . . he doesn't need an editing room, he can do it on a computer, but he leaves the country. Must be paranoid on a psychiatric level.
He seemed like it in the interview he really seemed scared of being shut down. He talked about all the secrecy he went thru. He wanted it off us soil

Jimmy Thick

Exactly. The film has been very well received and Disney surely knows this. They will have to choose their moves very wisely.
Lol, why?

Why does Disney have to choose their moves carefully?

See, its hiliarious people are coming to the conclusion Disney will hand this guy a check to make this go away. I highly doubt Disney will do anything of the sort. I would expect them to put lawyers on this, and drag it out until the filmmaker runs out of money. Disney did not get into the position they are in by giving people hand outs. Look at the thousands upon thousands of people who try to sue Disney when they get hurt at their parks. How many are successful? 1%, maybe 1.2%? Even that number could be too high.

Disney is a billion dollar corporation with the best lawyers money can buy. Seriously, its amusing people think they are aloof.

Jimmy Thick- Genius?

Next Big Thing

Lol, why?

Why does Disney have to choose their moves carefully?

See, its hiliarious people are coming to the conclusion Disney will hand this guy a check to make this go away. I highly doubt Disney will do anything of the sort. I would expect them to put lawyers on this, and drag it out until the filmmaker runs out of money. Disney did not get into the position they are in by giving people hand outs. Look at the thousands upon thousands of people who try to sue Disney when they get hurt at their parks. How many are successful? 1%, maybe 1.2%? Even that number could be too high.

Disney is a billion dollar corporation with the best lawyers money can buy. Seriously, its amusing people think they are aloof.

Jimmy Thick- Genius?
Who said anything about handouts? I say that they need to choose their moves carefully because of exactly what I said: It is a well received film, so fighting to keep people from being allowed to see it could easily cause backlash/bad PR for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom