Ernesto

The Mom

Premium Member
Unless the projection changes in the next 24 hours, I'm going to guess that The Son will not have school on Thursday, as the eye should hit around 8AM. There are areas of town that flood in heavy rains, so students in those areas will not be able to get out of their neighborhoods. Add in AM rush hour after raining overnight, and I suspect it'll be a mess.

There are still a lot of old, rotten, trees that withstood the last few storms, but many of them will be falling and bringing power lines down with them.

Time to make another stop to the used book store...we have an incredible one a few miles away.

Nemo14

Unless the projection changes in the next 24 hours, I'm going to guess that The Son will not have school on Thursday, as the eye should hit around 8AM. There are areas of town that flood in heavy rains, so students in those areas will not be able to get out of their neighborhoods. Add in AM rush hour after raining overnight, and I suspect it'll be a mess.

There are still a lot of old, rotten, trees that withstood the last few storms, but many of them will be falling and bringing power lines down with them.

Time to make another stop to the used book store...we have an incredible one a few miles away.
Where's The Son in school?

The Mom

Premium Member
Where's The Son in school?

Episcopal High School of Jacksonville. Next to the river, downhill, and under a bridge. I have to drive over the I-95 bridge to get there and back, through rush hour traffic. Even if school isn't officially cancelled, if we get heavy rain and winds, I suspect a lot of students will still be missing...including mine.

Interestingly, the largest Catholic High School, along with almost all of the other private High Schools, are next to a river or lake. Pretty until a storm comes along. :lol:

Nemo14

Episcopal High School of Jacksonville. Next to the river, downhill, and under a bridge. I have to drive over the I-95 bridge to get there and back, through rush hour traffic. Even if school isn't officially cancelled, if we get heavy rain and winds, I suspect a lot of students will still be missing...including mine.

Interestingly, the largest Catholic High School, along with almost all of the other private High Schools, are next to a river or lake. Pretty until a storm comes along. :lol:
I hate I-95 through Jacksonville - we try to avoid it!

Wilt Dasney

I hate I-95 through Jacksonville - we try to avoid it!

That's always the most exciting part of any drive down to Disney. :animwink:

I'll usually take 95 if it's late at night or in the middle of the workday. If it's rush hour, I usually take 295.

Edit: I just remembered you're a good bit north of me, so I'm sure you see more excitement than Jax on any Disney drive. :lol:

Nemo14

That's always the most exciting part of any drive down to Disney. :animwink:

I'll usually take 95 if it's late at night or in the middle of the workday. If it's rush hour, I usually take 295.

Edit: I just remembered you're a good bit north of me, so I'm sure you see more excitement than Jax on any Disney drive. :lol:
Yes, when we do drive (which is not very often lately) the stretch from RI to DC is the worst, then it's basically smooth sailing til we get to Jacksonville. The only good part about it is that at least we know we're in FL then!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Tell me about it. People are fighting at gas stations. :rolleyes:
Drove by the Sunoco on corner of Summit Blvd. and Military Trail yesterday....road was so backed up you would've though a major accident had just happen. :hammer: Then I see the photos of empty grocery store shelves, and all I can do is.... :brick: :lol:

Thankfully I will be out of this mess and in Orlando on Friday. :sohappy: :lol:

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes, when we do drive (which is not very often lately) the stretch from RI to DC is the worst, then it's basically smooth sailing til we get to Jacksonville. The only good part about it is that at least we know we're in FL then!

THE BELTWAY!!!!

The Daughter now lives just inside The Beltway, and I'm a wreck anytime I visit. I just found out that it's perfectly legal to pass on the right there; no wonder they were coming at me from all sides. And it was the first time I had ever seen an almost 90 degree lane change. :eek:

The Daughter says she was "born to drive the Beltway" and after riding with her, I believe it. :lol:

Nemo14

THE BELTWAY!!!!

The Daughter now lives just inside The Beltway, and I'm a wreck anytime I visit. I just found out that it's perfectly legal to pass on the right there; no wonder they were coming at me from all sides. And it was the first time I had ever seen an almost 90 degree lane change. :eek:

:
...and the use of directionals is strictly prohibited!

Valawen9

Drove by the Sunoco on corner of Summit Blvd. and Military Trail yesterday....road was so backed up you would've though a major accident had just happen. :hammer: Then I see the photos of empty grocery store shelves, and all I can do is.... :brick: :lol:

Thankfully I will be out of this mess and in Orlando on Friday. :sohappy: :lol:

I got gas yesterday at the BP on Military and Community and there was no wait at all...you drive a couple miles down Military to 45th St. and the line at Sam's Club for gas was wrapped up and down the parking lot aisles!

Grocery store shelves are empy??:eek: People are overreacting I think. :lol:

The Mom

Premium Member
Seen any price gouging going on?

Not sure about gouging, but yesterday morning the gas at the station across from The Son's school was 2.70. When I went to pick him up, it was 2.77. It was the same today, but I wonder what it will be tomorrow morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom