Ernesto

SpongeScott

Don't like that last forcast turn.
Guess I'll quit my house fix-up chores for a few days just in case I'm wasting
my time.:brick:
Can't keep all the names straight but when the one cat3 was heading right over us I decided to make the drive from Tampa area over to Disney.Had 2 elderly relatives along so didn't think we should ride it out here.
Long story short didn't have radio on for the trip and in just 3hr time forcast changed and storm heads for Orlando,go fiqure.
Disney nice enough to refund money and we headed back to find no rain or wind at all at our house.
Never know for sure where they're going I guess.
No wish for anyone else to have trouble but I hope something similar will happen.

rich
in my opinion, look for it to push even further east on its landfall. Every update gets moved to the east. As much time as possible over Cuba is a good thing.

CatLady

Seriously! We're supposed to be arriving, by car, at ASMovies, Thursday afternoon around 4pm.

Depending on what the storm is doing, they may hold you at the Florida border. They did that during Frances (or was it Jeanne?) to people I knew who couldn't get home to thier families and property.

Mr. Bill, that's a nice-looking Charley graphic. Where did you find it?

This is really bad timing for the tourism industry here in Orlando. I suspect it will cost a lot of visitors for the holiday weekend.

pinkrose

Original Poster
in my opinion, look for it to push even further east on its landfall. Every update gets moved to the east. As much time as possible over Cuba is a good thing.

The storm keeps making little westward jogs. *shrugs* lol Who knows... these things always seem to have a mind of their own.

haveyoumetmark

Hurricanes are fun up to cat. 3 after that they are devastating. We were supposed to get by Charlie, it was mass chaos, we got evacuated and everything. Then, he veered south. Clearwater Beach and all of Pinellas County for that matter is a realy cool place to live, not only are we 90 miles from WDW (1 - 1 1/2 hour drive) but our position is in the middle of Florida, and every hurricane strikes above or below us, so we get the fun experience while everyone else gets a devastating one. I am exteremly sympathetic to where ever those storms hit. We had a couple of signs and trees get knocked down, but all houses were still standing, although the exteriors were pretty messed up. I hope one doesn't come our way anytime soon, or even better, anytime at all.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
I won't trust Ernesto until it gets closer to land...I remember last year on the Friday before Katrina hit. My friend called me up and told me we were in the path of it. It was originally supposed to hit the Florida panhandle. You go from calm to panic. I had planned on taking that Monday off for my birthday...well needless to say I had the day of because of a major Hurricane! My birthday is going to suck every year now...oh well...
I can't handle another hurricane...:(

supapampam

I was just on a good hurricane website www.flhurricane.com hopes it ok to post there address.

They seem to be seeing a weaking in the system. But, then again once it goes over Cuba it could gain strength again.

Let's hope it doesn't

pinkrose

Original Poster
...ERNESTO WEAKENS TO A TROPICAL STORM BUT STILL BRINGING TORRENTIAL
RAINS TO HAITI AND THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC...

AT 5 PM...2100 UTC...A HURRICANE WATCH IS ISSUED FOR ALL OF THE
FLORIDA KEYS FROM OCEAN REEF TO THE DRY TORTUGAS. A HURRICANE
WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH
AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

AT 500 PM EDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ERNESTO WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 18.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 74.5 WEST. THIS
POSITION IS VERY NEAR THE SOUTHWESTERN TIP OF HAITI...ABOUT 150
MILES...240 KM...WEST-SOUTHWEST OF PORT AU PRINCE HAITI AND ABOUT
160 MILES...255 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF GUANTANAMO CUBA.

REPEATING THE 500 PM EDT POSITION...18.0 N...74.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1004 MB.

URNT12 KNHC 272032
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 27/20:19:20Z
B. 17 deg 40 min N
074 deg 06 min W
C. 850 mb 1465 m
D. 20 kt
E. 131 deg 018 nm
F. 195 deg 033 kt
G. 131 deg 062 nm
H. EXTRAP 1004 mb
I. 17 C/ 1523 m
J. 23 C/ 1523 m
K. 13 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 1 345/ 8
O. 0.02 / 3 nm
P. AF302 0605A ERNESTO OB 16
MAX FL WIND 33 KT E QUAD 20:00:40 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 850 MB

scorp111

...ERNESTO WEAKENS TO A TROPICAL STORM BUT STILL BRINGING TORRENTIAL
RAINS TO HAITI AND THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC...

AT 5 PM...2100 UTC...A HURRICANE WATCH IS ISSUED FOR ALL OF THE
FLORIDA KEYS FROM OCEAN REEF TO THE DRY TORTUGAS. A HURRICANE
WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH
AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

AT 500 PM EDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ERNESTO WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 18.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 74.5 WEST. THIS
POSITION IS VERY NEAR THE SOUTHWESTERN TIP OF HAITI...ABOUT 150
MILES...240 KM...WEST-SOUTHWEST OF PORT AU PRINCE HAITI AND ABOUT
160 MILES...255 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF GUANTANAMO CUBA.

REPEATING THE 500 PM EDT POSITION...18.0 N...74.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1004 MB.

URNT12 KNHC 272032
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 27/20:19:20Z
B. 17 deg 40 min N
074 deg 06 min W
C. 850 mb 1465 m
D. 20 kt
E. 131 deg 018 nm
F. 195 deg 033 kt
G. 131 deg 062 nm
H. EXTRAP 1004 mb
I. 17 C/ 1523 m
J. 23 C/ 1523 m
K. 13 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 1 345/ 8
O. 0.02 / 3 nm
P. AF302 0605A ERNESTO OB 16
MAX FL WIND 33 KT E QUAD 20:00:40 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 850 MB

Thats a start!

Maybe it can sit on Cuba for 48 hours too. The rainfall is still a problem, but still better than a stronger hurricane.

supapampam

Maybe it can sit on Cuba for 48 hours too. The rainfall is still a problem, but still better than a stronger hurricane.

That would be nice. We've had bad thunder & lightening every day this week (South Florida) which I will take any day over another hurricane.

The Mom

Premium Member
you make hurricanes sound fun :lol:

i have to go flashlight shopping

anything special i should do with my car?

Flashlights are good, but so are those little lanterns. I have a camp flashlight that can be turned into a lantern.

Bottled water is a must, as are snacks, peanut butter and bread, and chocolate...tootsie rolls are good, because they don't melt easily.

Damp rid and air freshener spray are handy, as are wet wipes, etc. You don't realize how often you turn on the water every day until you don't have any.

Oh yes, a small battery powered radio, and extra batteries.

This is the minimum. Check for the old hurricane preparedness thread. Several people who went through them have posted lots of tips.

Woody13

Don’t forget last year that 5 days out, the weather service had Katrina heading for Tallahassee. I won’t count Ernesto out until he’s in the history books. Some of these storms change direction and loop back. I’ve been hit twice by two different hurricanes in the past.

I topped off all my emergency gas cans 2 days ago and I bought a fresh box of crackers (when I buy crackers, I’m serious about the storm). My emergency generator is ready to supply power for up to 10 days (240 hours) with my current gas stockpile. Also, I bought a new computer with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I can show all of my Disney DVD’s in widescreen now using one, two or three screens and I’ll have A/C for comfort. I gave up drinking beer so now I just have to keep the diet Pepsi cold in the refrigerator (I have 36 diet Pepsi 12 packs in storage).

My freezer is full of food and as I remove food items to eat I replace them with 2 liter soda bottles filled with water. If my generator fails or I run out of gas, my refrigerator/freezer will keep my food safe for three additional days. We have enough food, water and medicine to last for months.

I noticed that the run on gas started last night at all the local Wal-Mart gas stations. People were filling up multiple 5 gallon gas cans and each gas pump had a small line. I checked at the local Lowe’s and Home Depot and they still had plenty of generators and gas cans. Therefore, most people are not taking this hurricane too seriously in my area. A lot can happen in the next 3 or 4 days so we’re in standby mode right now.

I’m looking forward to seeing the first strike scene in the Disney movie Pearl Harbor. I bet that’s going to look great using the new software!

Everyone take care. I bet that Scott is watching the Little League World Series! :wave:

cmatt

worst comes to worst scenario.... im arriving (hopefully) on the thursday at 4:30pm... now if i actually get there and ernesto takes a hold on the friday what do i need provisions wise? im staying at a hotel so im guessing they will provide for me......?

Nemo14

worst comes to worst scenario.... im arriving (hopefully) on the thursday at 4:30pm... now if i actually get there and ernesto takes a hold on the friday what do i need provisions wise? im staying at a hotel so im guessing they will provide for me......?
More than likely, they will provide a gift shop for you to purchase suppleis...

cmatt

More than likely, they will provide a gift shop for you to purchase suppleis...

great...:dazzle: i was suppossed to be at universal that day! :brick:

i dont mind the rain - used to it living in scotland :lol: :rolleyes: so if it blows out and its just torrential down pour thats fine by me! :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom