News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Brian

The lyricist for 'Heartbeat Symphony' has stated in a TikTok that he was told Luminous will run through 2050...

View attachment 758849

Surely Disney doesn't expect to keep the same show playing for 26 years?!
I don't believe that a lyricist for the show would be explicitly told that it would run through 2050 from anyone with the authority to make such a grand statement.

Disney's entertainment strategy of late does not allow for things to get stale, and at the very minimum, the show will be updated with new IP within 5-10 years.

jrhwdw

I could absolutely see them intending to keep the main barges through 2050…the actual show content, not so much.
If Luminous' Scores are stable enough for at least a few years. I would like to see Epcot spend the money on having Oct 1st (Epcot's Birthday) & POE Tags every year!

Vinnie Mac

The lyricist for 'Heartbeat Symphony' has stated in a TikTok that he was told Luminous will run through 2050...

View attachment 758849

Yeah no only show that's ever going to do that is Fantasmic 😭

I was thinking 10 years maximum for this show and thats with occasional changes until a new one replaces it entirely with similar infrastructure. I could definitely see the current infrastructure remaining for 15-20 years

TheMaxRebo

View attachment 758849

I suspect that is how long they went he rights to the song or something like that .... Not that the show will actually run that long but the agreement with the composer is probably for longer than needed just to cover themselves

Epcot82Guy

Just back from Epcot to see World Celebration and Luminous. Overall, I enjoyed it. Unlike most shows, I was surprised that Luminous was as good on video for me than in person (though for different reasons). But, it still feels like a huge step in the right direction. It was in B mode (quite windy), so the pyro felt lighter, But, that's to be expected. The park was surprisingly busy, and the whole lagoon seemed 3-4 deep.

-I think the music works pretty well. I actually was pretty emotional at a number of spots. The original score continues to be great.
-The intro with the country lights is A+. It rivals the country lighting in Illuminations: ROE for me (albeit very different).
-The middle needs work. That's the slow part. The song choices aren't bad. But, I wish there were a few more songs added via medley, and they could shorten some. Friend Like Me is the biggest offender to me. And, See the Light should be in that part, not where it is. (Though I applaud the creative interpretation.)
-I don't hate the narration. I think it feels better in the park than on video. I think it's just too much. If they rewrote a fe and combined some of the sections (especially the idea of Play, Friends and Love, for example) into one larger section, I think it would work well.
-The reflective aspects worked well. (It made me think of my last trip with my dad before he died, which I appreciated.) I think the issue is it needed something livelier before. I think if you moved See the Light before, it would work wonders.
-The crowd seemed to enjoy it. There were cheers at higher spots. Applause was pretty good. The interesting thing was, listening, I heard a lot of people saying they loved it. It was just a quieter response.
-The show does feel safe and budget cut. And, I see why after Harmonious. But, I think this definitely will be better received.
-The fireworks felt a little repetitive at times. But, I think that's more budget than show design.
-This show could easily be reworked or expanded, ala Fantasmic. And, it sets itself up perfectly for tags, new fireworks/tricks, etc.
-This show had artistry and theme. It wasn't the best use, but it is something different and a bit quirky. And, that works in Epcot.

In many ways, this feels kind of how Once Upon a Time felt at MK (noting that was the first projection mapping). It has some cool tricks and a lot of heart (no pun intended). It fits the park well. And, it feels like it may be setting up whatever is next to be something wonderful. (Be that a Luminous 2.0 or a new I:ROE or something else.)

To use a theater analogy - Harmonious:Luminous:I:ROE as Vegas:West End:Broadway

waltography

Having sat on this show for a bit to stew on my thoughts and watched it again, I really am glad this is the direction they went with and am optimistic for the future as they tweak and update the show.

Luminous digs into some really interesting, personal themes of loss and isolation, which I didn't expect. It's not like HEA/WoC/WJ where the sadness comes from witnessing other fictional characters' sadness, but about the shared human experience of grief. I was surprised in my second watch how moved I was by the show that I'd probably need a nice quiet walk back to World Celebration to gather myself (and I suspect that's why audience reaction is a bit quieter at the end than expected).

It's heavy enough that I feel I was spared slightly by the IP mandate, as the reminder of Disney music kept things light and grounded; this show would absolutely be a home run if they ever decided to compose original orchestrations though, and I feel like I'd be an inconsolable wreck if they did 😂.

Some other random thoughts:
  • The Epcot Anthem tags that ended the Birth and Family segments were my favorite accents. More of that please.
  • The narration doesn't annoy me as much as before, but I think they're still one or two rounds of copy editing away from the perfect balance. (Do we need to say "inevitably"?)
  • The Loss segment into Into the Unknown segment is my least favorite part of the show. I get what they're trying to convey here (community can pull us out of grief), but Into the Unknown is not the song they should use here. Vuelie (Frozen II version) would work better (or better yet, Sara Bareilles did a fantastic cover of When You Wish Upon A Star that uses the first four notes as a motif that I think would be a beautiful call and response: see 1:04 below and then 2:57 for more voices).

• "How miraculous that we exist on this planet at the same time! And yet, it's the human connection that unifies us... in the great symphony of us." 🥹 Thesis and heart of the show right there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom