News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Epcot82Guy

I don't know... that feels like it's underselling West End. I don't think there's much (if any) difference between them, other than personal preferences.

I would agree they are similar. From a tech and boundary pushing perspective, I would say Broadway wins. Broadway also tends to have a lot more money to play with in set design, theatrical tricks, etc. That lets it push those things more than happens in the West End generally. (West End often adopts the ideas, but only after Broadway has pushed the envelope.). Vegas has the same funding for shows, but it often lacks the finesse and can overdo things. That was more my point.

With that, to say the West End and Broadway are far closer together than Vegas is to either of the others would be spot on. I also could swap Chicago or LA (theater side) out for West End to a similar effect.

ToTBellHop

I would agree they are similar. From a tech and boundary pushing perspective, I would say Broadway wins. Broadway also tends to have a lot more money to play with in set design, theatrical tricks, etc. That lets it push those things more than happens in the West End generally. (West End often adopts the ideas, but only after Broadway has pushed the envelope.). Vegas has the same funding for shows, but it often lacks the finesse and can overdo things. That was more my point.

With that, to say the West End and Broadway are far closer together than Vegas is to either of the others would be spot on. I also could swap Chicago or LA (theater side) out for West End to a similar effect.
I found Harm about as enjoyable as I imagine I’d find Thunder from Down Under so this checks out.

Epcot82Guy

I found Harm about as enjoyable as I imagine I’d find Thunder from Down Under so this checks out.

I would LOVE Thunder from Down Under. But, from these posts, I'm guessing we are playing for different teams. But, regardless, you are a part of me... and I am a part of you.

SplashJacket

Watched for the third time tonight.

B-mode perimeters due to very high wind. USF’s Christmas parade balloons were not flown, so a very very windy night.

Luninious is honestly a masterpiece.

Is it the best Disney firework show ever made? Probably not. Could it be second? I might make that argument. Art, is obviously very subjective, but what’s important here, is that’s what Luminious is, art. It’s a return to form after Harmonious which disregarded an overall artistic vision and just slotted in whatever it desired.

I’m not going to make the “best” argument here or now, but IRoE was infinitely powerful to me.

Hugging my cousin goodbye hours before his morning deployment as “We Go On” echoed around world showcase, not knowing if I would ever see him again. Seeing my uncle for the at the border of World Showcase lagoon, not knowing it would be the last time, I’m no fool to the power of this park.

A couple days ago, I very unexpectedly lost a close family member. Since then, I’ve had a pre-planned change of housing, and a planned change of employment that’s having to wrap up a lot quicker and frantically than originally intended, so I haven’t had much time to process.

Tonight was my first time back in the parks since I got the news. Entered the park 10 minutes before Luminous and found a very crowded world showcase. Easily 10 rows back in most places. Scurried my way to a sparse spot only about 5 rows that gave a peep at the fountains, but primarily a fireworks spot.

IRoE and Luminious tell very different stories, but both tell their stories beautifully and elegantly. In three viewings, I’ve gone from initially positive with some complaints, to wow, this is a really good show, to this is the show that belongs in World Showcase.

The show spoke to me tonight in ways that IRoE did for years. The themes, the grace, the flow, the choreography all took me on this emotional and moving journey. Tonight’s viewing will similarly live within me for many years as IRoE had achieved many years before, and I’m certain this show will breathe new life into world showcase and all who visit it for years to come. Luminious filled the lagoon with warm embrace between families, tears, and love, amongst literally everyone around me.

What made IRoE so special is you took something home with it, other than a good show. Luminious is no different. Really glad Epcot has a deserving show back within such a special park and place. A park that carries much greater weight than many times the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

FigmentForever96

Watched for the third time tonight.

B-mode perimeters due to very high wind. USF’s Christmas parade balloons were not flown, so very very windy.

Luninious is honestly a masterpiece.

Is it the best Disney firework show ever made? Probably not. Could it be second? I might make that argument. Art, is obviously very subjective, but what’s important here, is that’s what Luminious is, art. It’s a return to form after Harmonious which disregarded an overall artistic vision and just slotted in whatever it desired.

I’m not going to make that argument here or now, but IRoE was infinitely powerful to me.

Hugging my cousin goodbye hours before his morning deployment as “We Go On” echoed around world showcase, not knowing if I would ever see him again. Seeing my uncle for the last time at the border of World Showcase lagoon, I’m no fool to the power of this park.

A couple days ago, I very unexpectedly lost a close family member. Since then, I’ve had a pre-planned change of housing, and a planned change of employment that’s having to wrap up a lot quicker and frantically than originally intended, so I haven’t had much time to process.

Tonight was my first time back in the parks since I got the news. Entered the park 10 minutes before Luminous and found a very crowded world showcase. Easily 10 rows back in most places. Scurried my way to a sparse spot only about 5 rows that gave a peep at the mountains, but primarily a spot for the fireworks.

IRoE and Luminious tell very different stories, but both tell their stories beautifully and elegantly. In three viewings, I’ve gone from initially positive with some complaints, to wow, this is a really good show, to this is the show that belongs in World Showcase.

The show spoke to me tonight in ways that IRoE did for years. The themes, the grace, the flow, the choreography all took me on this emotional and moving journey. Tonight’s viewing will similarly live within me for many years as IRoE had achieved many years before, and I’m certain this show will breathe new life into world showcase and all who visit it for years to come. Luminious filled the lagoon with warm embrace between families, tears, and love, amongst literally everyone around me.

What made IRoE so special is you took something home with it, other than a good show. Luminious is no different. Really glad Epcot has a deserving show back within such a special park and place. A park that carries much greater weight than many times the sum of its parts.
I think you’ve summed up a lot of my thoughts. Luminous does what ROE did so well which closes out the overall story of EPCOT that we experienced throughout our day. It’s a kiss goodnight to the unspoken overall message of “we’re here together as one people, on one planet”. Whether it was “We are gathered here tonight, around the fire” or now being “Welcome to the great gathering”, it’s a reminder that the spirit of Epcot still rings true in that the human spirit is something we all share.

We all could sit and argue all day about the direction of the park, right or wrong, likes and dislikes but this show certainly helps tie back all they’ve done to showcase a park that they want to be a celebration of the human spirit. There are still parts that are neglected, misused or not even used, and that will still be an issue. But how lucky are we to have a show that breaths the ultimate message of Epcot right back into the park.

vikescaper

Are we sure that there aren’t any projections used during the show? There were a couple times last night where I could have sworn that I saw projections on the fountains. Again, I may be crazy and could have been seeing things.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Are we sure that there aren’t any projections used during the show? There were a couple times last night where I could have sworn that I saw projections on the fountains. Again, I may be crazy and could have been seeing things.
I think those are different patterns they use in the lights and then they shine those through the fountains, cool effect but not projections.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I really like seeing all the praise for this show, it's very deserved. I haven't seen the show in person but the first time I watched it I didn't really like it at all but I watched a couple more times I now I just love it. It's great show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom