News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

SoFloMagic

Really? I all seem to hear is people complaining that it’s not as good as the original (which it isn’t) and that show is ALL IP.
I mean if the new epcot show is Disney 100, it'll be 100% IP either way. At least woc has a good theme song. I'm sure they can do better, but not sure they will.

seabreezept813

I know the barges are just awful, but I really like the Harmonious soundtrack (not better than Illuminations) but I think it would cool if they could play something like this at Disney Springs with a few water effects or lights.

MrPromey

California seems to like the new world of color. Just bring that over with fireworks instead of projections

They can't.

World of Color takes place in a 3.5 acre pool which is needed for the systems that raise and lower the fountain platforms.

The world showcase lagoon has a "natural bottom" and is classified in the state of Florida as a 38 acre private lake. It connects to a series of waterways that in turn connect to other man-made and natural water bodies across property and beyond. (Disney calls itself home to the tributaries that start the fresh-water source of the Florida Everglades though a lot of places could make that claim)

While being man-made, part of the bottom is not entirely stable and it apparently has a maximum depth of over 14 feet.

Long story short, it's not like they can just drain it (killing most of the natural life in it, in the process) pave it, and install that system which would need to be many times larger to cover the area.

I guess they could bring over the audio and build an entirely different show around that but who want's that sort of half-handed copy of anything?

Last edited:

JoeCamel

. (Disney calls itself home to the tributaries that start the fresh-water source of the Florida Everglades though a lot of places could make that claim)

?
I'll accept that Disney property contributes to the water but Shingle Creek is generally accepted as the headwater

lazyboy97o

They can't.

World of Color takes place in 3.5 acre pool which is needed for the systems that raise and lower the fountain platforms.

The world showcase lagoon has a "natural bottom" and is classified in the state of Florida as a 38 acre private lake. It connects to a series of waterways that in tern connect to other man-made and natural water bodies across property and beyond. (Disney calls itself home to the tributaries that start the fresh-water source of the Florida Everglades though a lot of places could make that claim)

While being man-made, part of the bottom is not entirely stable and it apparently has a maximum depth of over 14 feet.

Long story short, it's not like they can just drain it (killing most of the natural life in it, in the process) pave it, and install that system which would need to be many times larger to cover the area.

I guess they could bring over the audio and build an entirely different show around that but who want's that sort of half-handed copy of anything?
You don’t need that specific raising platform to have the same effects. Even the quality of the water itself would be fine as equipment capable of using seawater exists. The bigger issue would probably be the size of World Showcase Lagoon, making it harder to properly stage and see the show as it exists.
I'll accept that Disney property contributes to the water but Shingle Creek is generally accepted as the headwater
Reedy Creek is one of the northernmost sources of water that flows to the Everglades. It’s part of why the South Florida Water Management District noddles up the center of the state.

Last edited:

bcoachable

They can't.

World of Color takes place in 3.5 acre pool which is needed for the systems that raise and lower the fountain platforms.

The world showcase lagoon has a "natural bottom" and is classified in the state of Florida as a 38 acre private lake. It connects to a series of waterways that in tern connect to other man-made and natural water bodies across property and beyond. (Disney calls itself home to the tributaries that start the fresh-water source of the Florida Everglades though a lot of places could make that claim)

I can se Walt’s eyebrow lifting as you type….

MrPromey

You don’t need that specific raising platform to have the same effects.

So how would they do that?

Tow all that equipment out daily or just pull a Harmonious and leave it all out there permanently anchored?

Even the quality of the water itself would be fine as equipment capable of using seawater exists. The bigger issue would probably be the size of World Showcase Lagoon, making it harder to properly stage and see the show as it exists.

Like I said, from 3.5 acres to 38.

Last edited:

MrPromey

I can se Walt’s eyebrow lifting as you type….
No you can't.

He hasn't been involved in decision making since... Well, before anything at WDW opened.

It would be nice to think that the company is still run by folks who think it's "fun to do the impossible" but I think young Eisner was the last one in charge to feel that way. Certainly, by the time he became old Eisner, he'd had it beat out of him.

Last edited:

bcoachable

No you can't.

He hasn't been involved in decision making since... Well, before anything at WDW opened.

It would be nice to think that the company is still run by folks who think it's "fun to do the impossible" but I think young Eisner was the last one in charge to feel that way. Certainly, by the time he became old Eisner, he'd had it beat out of him.
Cmon man..seriously? My response was meant to incite a tiny smile- that’s all…
Have a great day!

jrhwdw

Given the 2023 opening, I'm now expecting a life size Bob Iger statue gets hauled out to sing "How Far I'll Go" in 5 languages, holding sparklers.
Maybe we should stick with Pre COVID HEA returning and EF....... :) :)

Or if WDW really wants to go back before Oct 2019.........

Drdcm

I remember riding on magical express where they interviewed the lead imagineer who created some of the old fireworks shows - probably (HEA or Wishes). They talked about a formula that consistently works to create a good show. It involved suspense/awe and then a crescendo to finale. It seems they changed said formula. It feels like everything is just flat in both current shows, pretty to watch, but otherwise just flat and not impactful or memorable.

Epcot82Guy

I remember riding on magical express where they interviewed the lead imagineer who created some of the old fireworks shows - probably (HEA or Wishes). They talked about a formula that consistently works to create a good show. It involved suspense/awe and then a crescendo to finale. It seems they changed said formula. It feels like everything is just flat in both current shows, pretty to watch, but otherwise just flat and not impactful or memorable.

"Blow out all the stops before they get out their phones and start scrolling... You have 48 seconds..."

+ Moana

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom