News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
It's almost like there's a marathon or something and they have to go to bed early so they don't stay up to the watch fireworks. :)
At that time, Ratatouille was 110 minutes , Guardians' VQ wrapped around the building and almost into Connections, and Magic Kingdom stayed slammed until close 2 hours later...

Can we stop playing the game of either knocking the show or defending it and just... get back on topic of discussing how this plays out?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wait isn’t harmonious the new one that they hyped up as part of the Epcot renovations? The brand new one?

glad it flopped. Stop shoving IP into every nook and cranny these parks weren’t meant to be malls
Yes, this was supposed to be part of the newly permanent up-do of EPCOT as occasioned by the 50th Anniversary. The end of the 50th and the beginning of the 100th will be the face-saving reason to replace it.

The new show will have IP also. If you think that Disney will not be making 95% of new stuff full of franchisable IP, then you're in for perpetual grief.

You'll have to find a different theme park that uses only generic themes -- and no IP that they own or license -- for your theme park experience.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
The new show will have IP also. If you think that Disney will not be making 95% of new stuff full of franchisable IP, then you're in for perpetual grief..
I've heard that D100 is another temporary show, and that the show after that in '24 will be permanent. Very interesting to see if they decide to keep the D100 show around after it's expiration date.

jrhwdw

Yes, this was supposed to be part of the newly permanent up-do of EPCOT as occasioned by the 50th Anniversary. The end of the 50th and the beginning of the 100th will be the face-saving reason to replace it.

The new show will have IP also. If you think that Disney will not be making 95% of new stuff full of franchisable IP, then you're in for perpetual grief.

You'll have to find a different theme park that uses only generic themes -- and no IP that they own or license -- for your theme park experience.
So we are getting IP after EF 2023....... will it be done in a better way than Harm?

So.....is Daytime Sightlines the only thing canceling Harm if we're not moving away from IP?

As for now: all we know that Harm s going for a New show. Nothing Official that I've seen about EF 2023. Also, that 2023 or D100 WSL Show is just till 2024

Last edited:

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
So we are getting IP after EF 2023....... will it be done in a better way than Harm?

So.....is Daytime Sightlines the only thing canceling Harm if we're not moving away from IP?

As for now: all we know that Harm s going for a New show. Nothing Official that I've seen about EF 2023. Also, that 2023 or D100 WSL Show is just till 2024
I mean here's just a small list of issues Disney faced with the show:
-Low Revenue for F&B outlets around WSL, both third party and Disney owned.
- Maintenence costs
- Low guest retention into the evenings.
- Low guest satisfaction scores.
- Show inconsistencies, from pyro to effects.
- Infrastructure damage due to malfunctions.
- The show can only be properly viewed from 2 locations.
- East Friendship Ferry route disrupted.

Most trusted insiders confirmed EF returning, I heard the same thing from people I know as well. Just waiting for the EF announcement. D100 is anyone's guess. All I know is that there is already a group associated with its development.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
We hope so.

There are good IP shows which it seems most people like (HEA, Fantasmic!) and IP shows which it seems the public isn't into (Harmonious, DE).

We'll see how DL does with their 100th Anniversary shows shortly.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I thought People didn't want IP in WSL period.
Those people, unfortunately, aren't going to get what they want, while some will like it.

Hopefully WDW has been chastened and now understands that IP, by itself, isn't enough to make it 'good.'

Disone

At that time, Ratatouille was 110 minutes , Guardians' VQ wrapped around the building and almost into Connections, and Magic Kingdom stayed slammed until close 2 hours later...

Can we stop playing the game of either knocking the show or defending it and just... get back on topic of discussing how this plays out?
Maybe We can.... when we stop making up facts to support our narrative. Through a friend who is a Tomorrowland attractions manager, I have access to the in-park numbers. Mk was not slammed that evening. It's in park was also low.

Guardians and Ratatouille are always busy, especially if they have any significant downtime during the day. And in the case of guardians, even without the downtime during the day.

I'll meet you halfway. Harmonious was not the grand slam they wanted it to be. It is also not universally hated like we try to portray it here on this website. I'll leave it at that.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Through a friend who is a Tomorrowland attractions manager, I have access to the in-park numbers. Mk was not slammed that evening.
Word of warning, when you're speaking with anyone who genuinely knows the company, be careful with how you say things.

1. A load of garbage is always detectable.
2. Anyone who genuinely has information knows not to share job titles and locations of sources.

Just my thoughts, from someone who knows the numbers from that evening =)

Disone

Those people, unfortunately, aren't going to get what they want, while some will like it.

Hopefully WDW has been chastened and now understands that IP, by itself, isn't enough to make it 'good.'
I hope you are right. Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain railroad, illuminations reflections of Earth, I would love to see some attractions. Having said that, I'm also not against the use of IP. Disney has a rich and glorious library of intellectual property and I don't mind them using it. It's more of how they use it than whether or not if they use it. The how matters.

Disone

Word of warning, when you're speaking with anyone who genuinely knows the company, be careful with how you say things.

1. A load of garbage is always detectable.
2. Anyone who genuinely has information knows not to share job titles and locations of sources.

Just my thoughts, from someone who knows the numbers from that evening =)
No warning needed. I didn't make up anything. There is zero reason he would lie to me.

There's nothing wrong with sharing that I have a friend who is an attractions manager at Tomorrowland. That's not name dropping. I didn't tell you who he was or what attractions. Let's not make this a bigger deal than it is. You clearly hate harmonious and you've been on a harmonious sucks drum beat that is overwhelming for quite some time now.

WDW is busy, It's nowhere near the busiest time of the year. The entire reason for the marathon is to compensate for what used to be a very traditionally low time of the year.

TTA94

As RoE and HEA show, temporary shows that guests love will stay long-term. As Harm, DE, and Light Magic show, permanent offerings that are panned by guests will depart quickly.

Don’t forget Rivers of Light to, sadly IMO. Worse that there has yet to be a replacement. Another is Paint the Night, but not sure where that fits in as far as meant to be temporary or permanent, though seasonal? It was definitely loved by fans, but it would seem turned out a casualty of the pandemic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom