News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I am not yet sure it's a home run.

HEA was a home run, and this definitely not that level.

HEA did not have to grow on me.

For me personally : Out of the gate, this show had a better first impression on me than Harmonious. While Harmonious absolutely grew on me with subsequent viewings I really wanted to love my first viewing of Harmonious and I really just didn't. I had a bad view, too easy to do with the set up for Harmonious, and more then that the show just bored me. I felt the only reason why it had "more fireworks" was it was much longer. But it's firepower per minute definitely, in my opinion, was very weak. Even during big numbers like Dig a Little Deeper and it's finale the firepower in both just underwhelmed. I walked away kind of scratching my head wondering what snoozefest did I just see?

Now my first viewing of Luminous I absolutely enjoyed it. I thought the finale was fantastic, the best of out of Reflections of Earth, Harmonious and Luminous.

Having said that I also like to listen to the crowd's reactions. This entails listening to the final reaction of applause/cheers and also actively listening to what people are saying about around me post show.

Having seen the show a few times now I don't feel the post show Luminous crowds are as energetic as Harmonious. That's a head scratcher for me because this show absolutely out fire powers Harmonious especially during the finale yet the post show buzz seems more tempered.

I do enjoy reading all the love Luminous is getting on this forum. It's nice to read positive things about EPCOT, nice change indeed.

I think Harmonious had the cards stacked against it. It was the rebound relationship if you will. No matter how great it was it was never going to be better than Reflections of Earth, because well, Reflections of Earth 🙂. And for that reason alone Harmonious was doomed to fail. Now with that failure out of the way a new show can come in, expectations have been reset, understanding that reflections of Earth is now gone has definitely taken root, and as long as it was better than EPCOT Fornow;), it will be accepted. Luminous checks all that and a lot more. But I would still stop shy of calling it a home run.
Great reply! I really shouldn't be offering any opinions since I've only seen the show via Steve's videos. I'll be seeing it in person for the first time Sunday night, so we'll see how it translates.

Animaniac93-98

The opening and closing of the show is proof that Disney could produce a wholly original show if they wanted to.

The IP medley that makes up the middle, feels like a concession to upper management and where the pacing and blending of the songs becomes choppy.

It would be interesting to see an alternative version where the movie songs were replaced with EPCOT specific music.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The opening and closing of the show is proof that Disney could produce a wholly original show if they wanted to.

The IP medley that makes up the middle, feels like a concession to upper management and where the pacing and blending of the songs becomes choppy.

It would be interesting to see an alternative version where the movie songs were replaced with EPCOT specific music.
Remember that the creatives are only doing what they have been briefed to do, and that brief was to include IP.

Disone

So EPCOT Forever sans Whole New World in the middle?

No thank you.

I could get behind maybe a new version of One Little Spark replacing "You Got a Friend Like Me" piece. But even that part in growing on me. It's actually quite short but has some really good pow in the fireworks design. So it kind of delivers the goods and gets rewarded with some mid show applause from the crowd.

UNCgolf

This. The only improvement I felt was the mariachi cover of Proud Corazon/EPCOT Anthem.

The original version of So Close is so good that it's kind of hard to top it, so I kind of expected that one.

I'm not a big fan of their use of covers in general -- people typically want to hear the version they know; not a new, alternate rendition -- but I know it's sometimes unavoidable when doing medleys etc. as part of shows.

I don't think the two original songs are good either, though. They're just generic pop.

UNCgolf

No thank you.

I could get behind maybe a new version of One Little Spark replacing "You Got a Friend Like Me" piece. But even that part in growing on me. It's actually quite short but has some really good pow in the fireworks design. So it kind of delivers the goods and gets rewarded with some mid show applause from the crowd.

I don't think he meant EPCOT Forever style -- I think he meant new original music.

Disney Analyst

No thank you.

I agree that the play section is actually quite good, I think people immediately turned the nose up at it, but frankly it's a quick section, the musical arrangement takes you almost until the midway point until you realize it's "You've Got a Friend in Me", and then "Friend Like Me" is super brief, and the pyro design is fun!

I've watched various videos, over various nights, and that section seems to illicit a pretty loud audience response.

Disone

I don't think he meant EPCOT Forever style -- I think he meant new original music.
I considered that but he still said EPCOT specific music and it doesn't get any more EPCOT specific than Veggie Fruit Fruit, Tomorrow's Child, It's Fun to be Free, Universe of Energy, Imagination....

I do love the inclusion of Toprak's new EPCOT music through out Luminous. :)

Ok maybe I can be swayed:). lol

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

IP? Pacing? All the cards shown too soon?

Its overall better than Humungous so that’s a plus.
I think it does an ok job holding back a few elements - notably the two elements Steve wrote the post about. The big early giveaway is the perimeter shots. Maybe they should have used the b-mode shots from the barges at the intro and saved the perims for a little extra in the finale?

But certainly a better job hiding tricks that harm. Giving away the trick that the arms shoot fireworks in the first act was a joke.

doctornick

I think the choppiness is more due to the narration than an intrinsic issue with the songs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom