News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

vikescaper

I like the giant floating Fountain of Nations and did not expect it to be as good. This show felt allot like a cross between Tapestry of Nations Illuminations 25 and ROE with a hint of IP and a bit like wishes. The great gathering scene was pretty much the tapestry intro and I think that concept was heinous for this show. I could have lived without the IP music and would love to hear something more mesmerizing like tapestry with this kind of show but for someone who likes a good firework and fountain display this show is pleasing to the eye, I think the choreography was real sloppy but maybe they’ll tune it up in time they were rushed. I think this shows here to stay but I do expect changes besides that I liked it, it’s not ROE but visually and the sound whether I liked the song selection or not it is an enjoyable show.
While I was getting ready for work this morning, I realized that for some odd reason, that I was expecting Tapestry of Nations to start playing after the countries welcomed you.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some quick thoughts.

Fantastic pyro design. The fireworks are spread throughout the show very effectively, no dead patches like EF, and it doesn't feel lacking. The seawall perimeters are used very effectively.

Runtime- 17 minutes - very nice.

The center barge produces a never before seen launch effect which is really quite something. It needs a closeup video to really appreciate this one. (watch this space)

The heart beat launches are spectacular - another great custom pyro launch.

Lighting is really well done. I think this show makes better use of the lights than Harmonious, which is saying something.

It wasn't the best night for lasers (no humidity), but from what we saw, looks really good.

The fountains look good, the added width of the show with the new mini barges really adds to the fountain look.

The music. The intro and finale are A+. The middle is the issue, which was expected. Disney has to stop forcing IP on the designers, and let them create an entirely original show without the constraint of incorporating Disney songs. It is a tired formula that we have all seen before countless times. It forces the design into a clip show. Reflections of Earth was so good because it all fitted together perfectly as a single continuous piece.

Overall I think it is a very solid show. Some are going to fall on either side, but the majority are going to enjoy it. At the very least, it's a technically well done show, and the best firework design you're going to see in a theme park currently. And if you vibe with the music and IP, it is likely going to be a favorite.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Some quick thoughts.

Fantastic pyro design. The fireworks are spread throughout the show very effectively, no dead patches like EF, and it doesn't feel lacking. The seawall perimeters are used very effectively.

The center barge produces a never before seen launch effect which is really quite something. It needs a closeup video to really appreciate this one. (watch this space)

Lighting is really well done. I think this shows makes better use of the lights than Harmonious, which is saying something.

It wasn't the best night for lasers (no humidity), but from what we saw, looks really good.

The fountains look good, the added width of the show with the new mini barges really adds to the fountain look.

The music. The intro and finale are A+. The middle is the issue, which was expected. Disney has to stop forcing IP on the designers, and let them create an entirely original show without the constraint of incorporating Disney songs. It is a tired formula that we have all seen before countless times. It forces the design into a clip show. Reflections of Earth was so good because it all fitted together perfectly as a single continuous piece.

Overall I think it is a very solid show. Some are going to fall on either side, but the majority are going to enjoy it. At the very least, it's a technically well done show, and the best firework design you're going to see in a theme park currently. And if you vibe with the music and IP, it is likely going to be a favorite.
Great observations. Since seeing the comments ive trued to start thinking about it from what a guest who doesnt live/breath WDW. I think the younger generation guest who visits periodically is going to love this show. Thise who remember past shows without IP may or may not love it. As someone who came to Epcot first shortly after it opened while I was in highschool and has realized Disney must make sure its providing a product that hooks its future paying guests, I think this show is a success and is very rewatchable. I do hope they tweak it, but the fact that its much less abrasive to the view of the lagoon is a huge improvement.

lentesta

Premium Member

Lighting is really well done. I think this shows makes better use of the lights than Harmonious, which is saying something.

The music. The intro and finale are A+. The middle is the issue, which was expected.

Spot on review.

The narrative at the 10-minute mark that's essentially reminding guests "You're going to die. Alone." is weird. I half expected a Lana Del Rey song to follow.

Pyro, color, and lighting are very good. Whoever's doing that for EPCOT has been the MVP of the last couple of shows.

Overall it's solid. Maybe a little too safe, but if it is, it's understandable. I don't think it's going to have a 20-year run like Illuminations, but it's fine for now.

Cliff

Saw it live. I liked the show much better then Harmonious in general. I LOVED the fireworks...I mean REALLY love them but I was not a fan of the music choices. The music didn't feel like "Epcot" at all but the fireworks did. This would have been a great show for the Studios if that park had a big lagoon.

If you dump the music and call Gavin Greenaway (Reflections of Earth composer) to make an original new score?....than you have an absolute KILLER "Epcot" show! Keep everything else visually but re-score it with NO movie songs.

Great show!...but wrong park.

Last edited:

KevinPage

I think the narration is very heavy handed. The way it is done takes the emotion out of the scenes rather than adding. There is always room for narration, especially in Epcot shows, but this was too much.
Agreed, it’s a weird mix of heavy handed corporate Pom Pom rah rah and this stiff emotionless spiel that they are just trying to “get through”.

Nothing about this feels organic or genuine. Trying to manufacture “feelings” are worse than ignoring them completely, hence why I felt Harmonious was more “honest”, it didn’t pretend to be something it was not.

But I’ll say this again, I do hope I warm up to this and soften over time and go “damn I was a negative nelly initially”. One of those times in life I’ll gladly take the L 🤩😂🤩

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
If you dump the music and call Gavin Greenaway (Reflections of Earth composer) to make an original new score?
Nothing says "innovative" like recycling the same composer over and over again. It's just like singers who continue to use the same producer over and over again because they refuse to evolve their sound. Pinar Toprak's score is beautiful within the confines of what she was allowed to work with.

jrhwdw

Some quick thoughts.

Actually I was pleased to see that! From Testing outside of Epcot. it looked like there were more dead areas. Also, it looked like World Welcome went faster outside Epcot than last Night. Last Night was the right pace for World Welcome.

Do you think this show will keep WS full Steve?

pigglewiggle

Spot on review.

The narrative at the 10-minute mark that's essentially reminding guests "You're going to die. Alone." is weird. I half expected a Lana Del Rey song to follow.

Pyro, color, and lighting are very good. Whoever's doing that for EPCOT has been the MVP of the last couple of shows.

Overall it's solid. Maybe a little too safe, but if it is, it's understandable. I don't think it's going to have a 20-year run like Illuminations, but it's fine for now.

This is funny. We said that at home too, although not in those exact words.

ToTBellHop

Spot on review.

I didn’t read the middle segment as that. I read it as, “it is a universal truth that we all experience grief.” It’s a mature theme many of us would rather ignore, but also a theme Disney has never shied away from in its films. I find it a poignant and beautiful section that highlights the overuse of narration. She needs to speak less as the music carries the emotion well right through “I See the Light”. I think they need to tell us how to feel about something less and let us just experience. I think anyone who has experienced true loss (so…all of us eventually) can feel the flow of emotion here without being told how to feel.

I am honestly happy to see Epcot dealing with mature themes here. They’ve eschewed it recently.

It seems we all agree that the tech team understood the assignment and knocked it out of the park. The tech will work for many years to come even if the show is updated over time (and it should be. We shouldn’t have a show for 20 years).

Epcot is once again a delight for the eyes at night.

The Haunted Mansion has reminded us we are going to die for decades, and it’s even more heavy-handed. But, Walt wanted it so it’s fine I guess. We are literally told we can make final arrangements for ourselves in 8 minutes…

Last edited:

jrhwdw

I didn’t read the middle segment as that. I read it as, “it is a universal truth that we all experience grief.” It’s a mature theme many of us would rather ignore, but also a theme Disney has never shied away from in its films. I find it a poignant and beautiful section that highlights the overuse of narration. She needs to speak less as the music carries the emotion well right through “I See the Light”. I think they need to tell us how to feel about something less and let us just experience. I think anyone who has experienced true loss (so…all of us eventually) can feel the flow of emotion here without being told how to feel.

I am honestly happy to see Epcot dealing with mature themes here. They’ve eschewed it recently.

It seems we all agree that the tech team understood the assignment and knocked it out of the park.

Epcot is once again a delight for the eyes at night.
I also don't understand the hate in the Topic. Luminous is not the first Show to deal with this. Mufasa'a Death in WOC anyone?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Agreed, but what I love about this show is that it has brought a new launch platform that is sustainable and can be used for different shows in the coming years. No daytime intrusion, plenty of pyro capacity, and a layout that is very flexible.

Disney has some incredible pyro designers, and given some freedom, we could see some really good shows come to EPCOT using this new platform.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Do you think this show will keep WS full Steve?
It is going to be interesting to see how the typical guests like the show. I think here we appreciate a lot of the design aspects and hardware that regular guests may not.

I would say for sure it is a must see for anyone on a WDW vacation, which certainly was not the case for EF. That has to help WS.

ToTBellHop

I also don't understand the hate in the Topic. Luminous is not the first Show to deal with this. Mufasa'a Death in WOC anyone?
If anything, I think a criticism many of have Disney, in the whole, is an unwillingness to grapple with tough issues like death. The classics we love dealt with serious issues and then Wish dealt with…not much at all. And bombed.

trainplane3

You can partially see the launch structure for that effect. It looks like a birdhouse that comes up out of the middle barge. After it is used, it retracts back down. It is a very good effect and they get bonus points for hiding it during and after the show.

Like I said a while back and everyone is saying now, great infrastructure but iffy content.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom