News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Richie248

Well, I listened to the soundtrack (avoiding the full show until I see it this weekend). Based on the score alone, it's a weak castle show. Harmonious soundtrack was light years better (Harmonious fan so I'm biased). Overall it's a downer. I'm sure I'll feel different once I see it in person (Harmonious took a bit to grow on me). The finale song felt more like exit music. Pros - Love the country intros, narration drives things but goodness don't need to be reminded of loss...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Finally watched the full video. It has its moments, but it just doesn’t have all the feel and wows it needs in a place like Epcot. The ending felt a little flat to me as well but it may take some time I don’t know. Some fire effects would have been a really nice addition to it

I was really wanting and hoping to like this a lot more. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either. Maybe it’ll grow on me, but I really was wanting to be more excited about it after seeing it than I am right now.

Last edited:

KevinPage

Watched from Italy (in park) and here are my initial thoughts:

- for context, Illuminations was my favorite thing Disney has done. Promise is our wedding song, nothing will top that nor do I expect anything to or judge it against that. I was also OK with it being replaced as it had a 20yr run and allows me to miss it now and think of it fondly.

- I saw Harmonious opening night and about 7-8x. I didn’t love or adore it. Felt it was OK, overall. I disliked the inclusion of typical Disney movie music the most, yet the way it was used felt like the best way possible by giving it an EPCOT flair. I did love the few bits of original music and the fireworks themselves. From a technical perspective it was super impressive and the arms shooting fireworks out was my favorite part along with the finale. I didn’t mind nearly as much as everyone else about the barges and ring messing up views on the lagoon. Didn’t love that part but it wasn’t a sore point or deal breaker for me.

- I went in with an open mind to Luminous thinking “OK Disney heard the criticisms and spent the $ to make a change”, no small feat indeed. Yet when it was announced there was Disney music AGAIN my 1st thought was, “they think the barges/ring were the biggest problem?” (It wasn’t for me).

- Show starts and right from the get-go things feel off. Everyone saying “Welcome” sounded robotic, stiff and forced. Narrator was boring, reading from a dry script. The whole thing came across as cold, calculated and corporate. Yeah they are trying to tell a message about unity between all people, which in theory I like and 100% fits the theme/ethos of EPCOT, but manner in which it was done did not “land” with me.

- The bits of Disney movie music they used fit the story they are trying to tell and sometimes used sparingly, other times went on way too long. It came across like they are trying to serve two masters at the same time: Disney corporate, who desperately requires IP in it but also trying to make you not realize they are doing that. It felt sneaky and trying to pull the wool over my eyes, dare I say it felt insulting. Like a bunch of PR people trying to shovel some phony “hug your neighbor moments”.

- say what you will about Harmonious (Jungle book & Tiana sections did NOT work well at all), but it was not trying to be something it was NOT. I appreciated its honesty even though I didn’t care for that direction. It was a Disney music concert with cool fireworks and something NEW/DIFFERENT.

- Luminous tries to appease everyone and fails on all counts. It really needs to pick a lane and decide what it wants to be. Trying to be a sappy weepy feel good presentation run up the chain through multiple corporate suits signing off on it feels sterile. There are ZERO “wow” moments in the show. Nothing unique about the fireworks themselves (yeah yeah they did ❤️ , color me unimpressed). The 2 new songs also sound like something you’d hear on the radio and overall fairly “lifeless”.

- To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I want nothing more than EPCOT to have a great show as that park is my favorite to close out the night in.

- I will give this more viewings in the coming weeks/months and hope I learn to love it and have that eureka moment where I’m like “OK I get it now”, certainly not ruling that out and would be glad to be dead wrong. But these are my feelings after tonight. On a more positive note, I did enjoy the new spine of EPCOT, it’s a vast improvement over what was there 4 years ago (though I do miss the Fountain of Nations) but understand why it was removed.

Last edited:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Lol, I knew it wouldn’t take long for the Bitter Betty’s to come crawling out of the woodworks with their “expert opinions” 😂

All of you moaned and complained about that crap we had for two years and when they finally give us something light years better, you flakes switch up and are like “omg harmonious was the best thing ever!! proving once again that Disney is right to continue ignoring you’re measly cries and demands for the type show needed in the park.

Long live Luminous!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Lol, I knew it wouldn’t take long for the Bitter Betty’s to come crawling out of the woodworks with their “expert opinions” 😂

All of you moaned and complained about that crap we had for two years and when they finally give us something light years better, you flakes switch up and are like “omg harmonious was the best thing ever!! proving once again that Disney is right to continue ignoring you’re measly cries and demands for the type show needed in the park.

Long live Luminous!
Light years better?
Is that really your “expert opinion”

Don’t take our word for it. Go on other social media postings and look at the comments. The majority thinking is meh and just ok but not great

Time will tell but I think a lot of wanted more feel and wow and it’s not much of a step up from Harmonious

Last edited:

pdude81

I finally saw EF in person and I was massively disappointed. We were in EPCOT twice over our six day trip and outside of one main spot outside of the American Gardens theatre where everyone congregated as the 8:30 CP let out, WS was empty.
Sadly you missed the kites... Although they only had all the lights on my first view.

OSUPhantom

Don’t take our word for it. Go on other social media postings and look at the comments. The majority thinking is meh and just ok but not great
Not my perception at all; most of what I see on social media is pretty positive; praising the score, story, and effects.

You’re likely seeing what you want to see; people agreeing with you. Confirmation bias.

jrhwdw

Watched it again this morning with Fresh Eyes(I think) and still think it's a better show than Harm. My only new complaint is not really tied to Luminous itself but It would be nice of Epcot ended a show with all the Countries' Lighting and kept them on for a while!

The Countries Look Stunning in every Show! I don't get why Epcot won't use that Lighting more when WSL is quiet!

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
Light years better?
Is that really your “expert opinion”

Time will tell but I think a lot of wanted more feel and wow and it’s not much of a step up from Harmonious
It’s all cope for a mediocre show.

If the stans are saying you have to go back and see the show again to form an opinion, then the show wasn’t effective at capturing audience interest.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Everything I've seen is overwhelmingly positive. It's easy to search social media for the comments that support your negative view of the show; just like it was easy to look for those that overwhelmingly praised Harmonious and shockingly Epcot Forever.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
Everything I've seen is overwhelmingly positive. It's easy to search social media for the comments that support your negative view of the show; just like it was easy to look for those that overwhelmingly praised Harmonious and shockingly Epcot Forever.
Spock Encerio GIF

jrhwdw

Maybe I'm too picky but, I would like to see confirmation that SSE actually Plays along with Luminous before we give too much Praise for SSE being in Luminous last night.

Fido Chuckwagon

Another snoozer singalong made for the Disney Adults, Disney Lifestylers, influencers, and vloggers.

The average person today also can't enjoy classic films anymore and need bombastic CGI superhero slogs of endless, boring action.
This isn’t true at all. If it were true, then the biggest hits of this year wouldn’t be Oppenheimer and Barbie. The bigger problem is that all movies are now made for an international audience to maximize box office returns, and action sequences are the only things that always translate well across language and cultural barriers.

FutureCEO

There is way too much narration - also IMO, show lacks multiculturalism. They had various languages in You’ll be in my heart and then it was gone?

Harmonious felt much more multicultural and ethnic in its soundtrack.

Granted it's Epcot but Illuminations never had multiculturism either. You don't really need it in everything.

jrhwdw

Granted it's Epcot but Illuminations never had multiculturism either. You don't really need it in everything.
ROE never had it. However I25 had the World Welcome(A better Version but Last night's was still good) Also, IllumiNations 1988 Highlighted each of the Countries in a Main Segment.

Fido Chuckwagon

Probably? What percentage of Disney visitors actually visit more than once in a 2 year period? Seems like it would be significantly less than 50% of guests.
Yup, most Disney visitors these days are probably one and done, or once every 5 or 10 years. The ones who are coming more than once every 2 years are the unfavorable attendance mix anyway.

Disone

ROE never had it. However I25 had the World Welcome(A better Version but Last night's was still good) Also, IllumiNations 1988 Highlighted each of the Countries in a Main Segment.
This. The original IllumiNATIONS very much highlighted the nations. They were a major feature of the show. Today, The only time that happens now is in New Year's Eve version.

Last edited:

Earlie the Pearlie

There is way too much narration - also IMO, show lacks multiculturalism. They had various languages in You’ll be in my heart and then it was gone?

Harmonious felt much more multicultural and ethnic in its soundtrack.
Personally, I don’t think that having singers singing Disney songs in different languages isn’t all that multicultural. You do you though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom