News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

TheMaxRebo

Ok, I rewatched Luminous this morning with a much better video and view - found a great one, very still video from one spot/one angle (no zooming in and out or anything) - was from Italy and can see SSE in the background, etc. - really made a big difference

On second view I liked it much more - there are a ton of really subtle and exacting lighting cues matching the audio that I picked up this time - really impressive.

Think my favorite part is the You'll Be in My Heart segment - I thought the multiple languages in harmony worked really, really well... in contrast I found it very distracting in When She Loved Me - that part just didn't work for me. (granted, I am not the biggest Toy Story 2 fan)

The Toy Story/Play section also felt like it doesn't fit - other options to exhibit "friend love" than those choices

That said, from Into the Unknown until the end is pretty spectacular and really well done. Love the "echo" part with the countries lighting up for the echo and all the pyro

Still think I need to see it in person to fully appreciate but am way more excited to see it on our next trip now than I was last night

ToTBellHop

The way they use the powerful fountains in the finale to cloak the centerpiece rising upward is outstanding. Harm wishes its fountains could hide machinery that well. And, unlike Harm, they actually hid the centerpiece away until the end. It definitely excited the crowd.

And the heart effect was depicted in the concept art but somehow came out better than I imagined. And everyone in World Showcase can see it!

Many important lessons were actually learned from Harm.

This emotional flow with an entirely original score would be incredible. Maybe the next CEO will allow it.

splah

i enjoyed the recording i watched. It's amazing how removing the video content makes a visual show more grand. i think that's a lesson all imagineering departments could use. restraint can and often is more, and leaves more to the imagination.

the mandate to use disney songs was executed better than i anticipated, but still unnecessary and maybe out of place. the only time that it really took me out from watching was the into the unknown vocals. other than that they were utilized well

narration overall good, but sometimes the metaphor gets stretched to fit the songs.

really enjoyable, impressive visuals, look forward to seeing it in february.

Last edited:

jinx8402

Ok, I rewatched Luminous this morning with a much better video and view - found a great one, very still video from one spot/one angle (no zooming in and out or anything) - was from Italy and can see SSE in the background, etc. - really made a big difference

On second view I liked it much more - there are a ton of really subtle and exacting lighting cues matching the audio that I picked up this time - really impressive.

Think my favorite part is the You'll Be in My Heart segment - I thought the multiple languages in harmony worked really, really well... in contrast I found it very distracting in When She Loved Me - that part just didn't work for me. (granted, I am not the biggest Toy Story 2 fan)

The Toy Story/Play section also felt like it doesn't fit - other options to exhibit "friend love" than those choices

That said, from Into the Unknown until the end is pretty spectacular and really well done. Love the "echo" part with the countries lighting up for the echo and all the pyro

Still think I need to see it in person to fully appreciate but am way more excited to see it on our next trip now than I was last night
link to video? (if permissible)

ToTBellHop

As someone who just lost a family member it was a powerful moment in the show, but I wonder if it's just a little to dark for Disney show?
And yet, I’m not sure you can tell “Circle of Life” in fireworks without it. The fact that they can use their own songs to deal with the subject of grief suggests they already force fans to think about it. But, perhaps it’s more comfortable to be crying in a dark theater than a dark theme park?

I know I’ve teared up during many of Disney’s best films.

Do we all remember how Up started? I was bawling.

montyz81

The on-water display looks fantastic. I wish they would stop using IP so much. The entire show felt forced. That said, I bet I would love it if RoE never existed. The idea of telling a story from front to back with an original score is what made RoE so great. Using IP to do the same thing is where I get the feeling that the show is forced.

Disone

Spot on review.

The narrative at the 10-minute mark that's essentially reminding guests "You're going to die. Alone." is weird.
It is not reminding you that you're going to die alone.

It is saying there will be dark moments in your life, such as the death of loved ones, where you will feel alone.
Nothing says "innovative" like recycling the same composer over and over again. It's just like singers who continue to use the same producer over and over again because they refuse to evolve their sound. Pinar Toprak's score is beautiful within the confines of what she was allowed to work with.
Imo recycling the same composer is more innovative than recycling the same music. And it is the same music as other shows. Agree on pinars score that is lovely I do like it's use in the show.

Disney has such a huge music library I'm not sure why they choose to continue using the same songs that many are just down the road at the Magic kingdom's happily ever after.

The next person in show design that suggests a fun new rendition of:
Friend like me
You got a friend in me
You'll be in my heart
Let it go
Etc....

Needs to be let go!

pigglewiggle

I just played it on the large tv in the conference room here at the office, I'm the boss, I can do these things. About 7 of us watched it.
On re-watch, I enjoyed it even more. The colors deserve an award.
The group really enjoyed it as well and I will say the biggest reaction came during the Frozen piece and the ending with the hearts. One person cried, but they cry at happy birthday.

Great show Epcot.

Mediachi

Okay, here are my thoughts after giving it a 2nd watch with a better recording:

-The visuals are amazing. I didn't know how they could top Harmonious' visuals without the LED screens and center projections but they somehow did. The timing and style of the fireworks, lighting, lasers, and fountains are perfect. The center barge is jaw-dropping.

-The music choices are really good. I am 1000% in love with the original music they made for this show. I think most of the IP songs blend in well with the narrative, with the only ones bothering me are You've Got a Friend in Me, Friend Like Me, and maybe I See The Light (might be because of its placement before the finale) as they feel more Magic Kingdom than EPCOT. I would've brought back Hakuna Matata and Someday as they fit in more with the theme of the park. I also feel like there should be more multi-language versions of some of the songs chosen here.

-The narration was a welcome addition, but I feel like they could've removed some of it as that would make some parts more emotionally powerful (especially after the 'Loss' section).

-I feel like the runtime could've been a tad bit longer, but for what they have in the current length, it's good enough.

Overall, while it isn't perfect; Luminous is a beautiful show and is the true spiritual successor to Illuminations than Harmonious was (and I still like Harmonious, but mostly for the finale). I'm certain they'll tool it around after listening to the reception, but the show we got now is spectacular. I'm just so glad we got a show that is much more worthy of the EPCOT name.

trainplane3

The way they use the powerful fountains in the finale to cloak the centerpiece rising upward is outstanding. Harm wishes its fountains could hide machinery that well. And, unlike Harm, they actually hid the centerpiece away until the end. It definitely excited the crowd.

And the heart effect was depicted in the concept art but somehow came out better than I imagined. And everyone in World Showcase can see it!

Many important lessons were actually learned from Harm.

This emotional flow with an entirely original score would be incredible. Maybe the next CEO will allow it.
This. As the show was running I was constantly thinking "where is the centerpiece?". When it was used there was a collective "oh shoot" moment because it just happens with no hint that it's up.

The hearts were so well done too. This show feels like it'll be ran for 3 years before they update it in some way. But I want the hearts to stay or have something similar replace them.

It was a great move to have no projections or media in it either. You can enjoy real effects without having some screen shine at you which then reduces the impact of the fountains and lasers.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Is it just me, or is that Walt’s voice saying the final “Welcome” from the Disneyland opening in the opening sequence? I’m not sure if it is, or it’s just me wanting it to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom