News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

In the Parks
No
I also agree that the narration is far too much here. But I also don't know that the show would work as well without it. I think it's telling that RoE didn't need one and this one actually does. If we didn't have the narration, it would just be HEA.

So I think that actually pinpoints one of the major issues with this show. In order to make it Epcot-friendly, it requires a big voice explaining everything.

Royal Purple Pigment

They had a slow paced, kinda sleepy, version of One Little Spark playing in the post show music. I hadn't heard it before. It was nice but made me a little tired instead of inspiring me to walk back to my car at the back of the parking lot.

In the Parks
No
Did we all forget about Wishes???
And the fact that Jiminy Cricket's narration was part of the show, and no-one seemed to care?
No, I didn't forget. Wishes was a very similar show to Luminous, now that I think about it. But the difference is where it was located. Magic Kingdom can do whatever it wants—it didn't need the narration. Epcot on the other hand needs this narration to make the show fit in the park.

Edit: Wishes is my personal favorite nighttime spectacular of all time. I wish they'd bring it back. Better than HEA [runs and hides].

Tom Morrow

Most of the negative comments are from folks lamenting that it's not Illuminations. Some said it's unlikely they'll enjoy it in person, and viewing with such mindset going in creates an uphill climb making it difficult to ever enjoy anything but an updated Illuminations.
It’s true, I want another Illuminations, not another segmented, disjointed Disney hits singalong.

In the Parks
No
They had a slow paced, kinda sleepy, version of One Little Spark playing in the post show music. I hadn't heard it before. It was nice but made me a little tired instead of inspiring me to walk back to my car at the back of the parking lot.
So in other words, your avatar describes how you felt as you left.

doctornick

I also agree that the narration is far too much here. But I also don't know that the show would work as well without it. I think it's telling that RoE didn't need one and this one actually does. If we didn't have the narration, it would just be HEA.

So I think that actually pinpoints one of the major issues with this show. In order to make it Epcot-friendly, it requires a big voice explaining everything.

I feel like the narration does well adding context and is good for a new viewer of the show, but will might be grating over time for frequent viewers. But at the same does feel necessary.

I wonder is a better option would have been narration in the beginning describing the show and all the parts and then just letting they flow right after another. With maybe then just some ending narration. I dunno, just something to make it a little less choppy.

Vegas Disney Fan

I can’t wait to see this in person, my favorite part of the parks are the nighttime spectaculars and this one looks amazing. I love the spectacle but find the emotional pull equally as important and this had both, the lack of emotion was my biggest complaint with Mickeys mix magic, Harmonious, and Enchantment. Glad to see they still have someone who knows how to pace a show and pull at heartstrings.

Epcot82Guy

I feel like the narration does well adding context and is good for a new viewer of the show, but will might be grating over time for frequent viewers. But at the same does feel necessary.

I wonder is a better option would have been narration in the beginning describing the show and all the parts and then just letting they flow right after another. With maybe then just some ending narration. I dunno, just something to make it a little less choppy.

I actually think having the same idea - but a bit more finesse in the narration, fewer segments and then medleys of songs on the particular theme. Something like, "we all come from somewhere"... "Life is about the connections we make, and sometimes lose, to each other"... "We create together.". "We are one song.".

Not saying those specifically. But having fewer and just using the main theme to transition without words could have been a way to do it with less chop.

hpyhnt 1000

I guess it's... OK? Maybe a dribbly double that snuck past the infield if you're into baseball metaphors; it's definitely not the home run EPCOT needed.

Positives: The opening chorus of welcomes makes a good first impression; I generally like how Toprak's Anthem is sprinkled throughout; the show's theme is a good one and worthy of the park; the preshow music and announcements are solid; and the center barge pyro is a neat effect.

But otherwise, the bulk of the show is lackluster. The narration is a bit too heavy handed for me. While I appreciate remixing the various IP songs, they're still a poor match for the show - the "Friend in/Like Me" section is particularly out of place, and the sadness portion is just plain dull. And the finale doesn't really come together, trying to achieve a powerful crescendo but never quite getting there.

Other hot takes: I don't find the fountains all that impressive; signing at times is too screechy or breathless; still too many blinding spotlights going in all directions; the pyro design is average at best; and World Showcase itself remains underutilized as a show stage.

Overall, I can't help but think what this show would look like if mid-90s Disney designed it, when Imagineering was confident in its storytelling and not shackled by a misguided IP mandate. Instead of remixed songs from movies, there might be a sweeping waltz for the partnership section, a mournful ballad for loss and sadness, and an upbeat jazzy composition for playtime, all culminating in a thunderous orchestral finale. That's the unique show EPCOT deserves.

Is Luminous better than Harmonious? I think so, and it probably sticks around a bit longer, too. But it comes nowhere close to grandeur that was IllumiNations.

Cmdr_Crimson

Positives: The opening chorus of welcomes makes a good first impression; I generally like how Toprak's Anthem is sprinkled throughout; the show's theme is a good one and worthy of the park; the preshow music and announcements are solid; and the center barge pyro is a neat effect.
They have done this before for WDW's 25th anniversary...Where they sprinkle Remember the magic in the opening..

nickf456

Thoughts from someone who was there in person tonight:
  • The opening segment was so emotional to me. I never saw any variation of Illuminations, so that country intro was amazing to see! Also loved the drumbeat from the preshow leading directly into the main show
  • The original music in the opening segment and the finale is very strong!
  • The IP songs felt much more tastefully integrated here than they were with Harmonious, it actually felt like they were woven into a story
  • The show was visually STUNNING, I cannot explain how many times I was wowed by the pyro, especially the pyro from the middle barge. Loved the lighting and sound design as well.
  • I didn’t find the narration too overbearing, felt like it was just fine where it was
  • Felt like the show actually moved a little too quickly in some places, like the finale felt like it came up a bit abruptly. Also felt a little slow in places, like the play segment felt like it could’ve easily been cut.
Overall I think the show is MUCH better than Harmonious. I have many more thoughts and I’d like to answer questions and give some insight for people that weren’t there to see it tonight!

SplashJacket

Really want to watch again, but reiterating what I said early, the pyro, wow.

For the songs, the walk-out and finale songs felt too much pop and not sufficiently grandiose.

I need to watch it again, but notably I want to watch it again, unlike some recent Epcot shows.

Not a fan of the Toy Story segment, really not a fan of the Red, Blue, Yellow color combo they use for Toy Story, it’s very overbearing and very ugly. Didn’t mind Friend Like Me.

The illuminations globe also worked so well because of its dimensionality. The physical movement and buildup of the globe bolstered the performance. The center barge was very cool, but outside of a vomiting firework gimmick (which again was very cool) didn’t provide the dimensionality that World Showcase lagoon demands (and no, I don’t think drones are the answer).

I do think fire could contribute a lot. On either side of death, a conflict scene that includes fire could bolster it. Either fire leads to death leads to new growth or death leads to the fire of new life and opportunity.

I do need to rewatch the show, because I felt the heart beat needed more audible punchiness, but I feel it likely was just a byproduct of the viewing location.

To make the show truly spectacular a couple modifications
  • Add 3 Dimensional movement (likely least realistic)
  • Replace pop song's
  • Include center barge in grand finale
  • Add fire
I cannot reiterate enough regarding the caliber and composition of pyro. Truly spectacular. Fountains very good as well, so despite my critiques for the show, the infrastructure is there for spectacles in World Showcase. Illuminations wasn’t perfect the first few circles around the sun, this doesn’t need to be either, it’s certainly no mistake on the lake.

Some of the scenes, like the Tangled music scene were just unbelievably gorgeous.

The only scene in Harmonious that left me in awe visually was Mulan, but Luminious has several.

Unlike Wonderous Journey in Disneyland, I didn’t establish an immediate emotional connection, so I’m curious if that was a byproduct of expectations or how my brain was primed going in. Regardless, I really want to see this show again.

zemmyz

Reiterating what others have said, it has some quality bones. Which feels like a mini-miracle after these last few years. I do worry about if/when there will be future changes to the show, it pushes farther away from *the Epcot Spectacular* I hope for. It feels close. I can sense actual pride and heart that was put into this, which seems like a small feat sure, but gives me some revitalized hope and joy. Trying to not let the most recent disaster of Harmonious cloud my opinion and thoughts, but it's close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom