News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

ToTBellHop

Something about that rumor from the other place doesn’t check out for me: there’s no way this show would be ready to run today even if the soundtrack was ready.

It may be true that the management want rewrites but that’s hardly atypical and time would be budgeted for that.

I presume they are confident it can run 12/5 come hell or high water.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Something about that rumor from the other place doesn’t check out for me: there’s no way this show would be ready to run today even if the soundtrack was ready.

It may be true that the management want rewrites but that’s hardly atypical and time would be budgeted for that.

I presume they are confident it can run 12/5 come hell or high water.
correct, its a major new show being produced on a VERY tight timeline. Mid September was never in the plans.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Is it true they didn’t like the soundtrack and wanted it redone?
Not that I am aware of, but changes to shows are very common during the development and would not be all that unusual if that happened. It isn't like the show was performed for execs and declared to be no good and reworked from that point.

TheMaxRebo

Lol gotcha, I thought someone said it was completed.

saw a report going around that it was completed but Disney wasn't happy with it and 70% of it is being redone

who knows ... maybe just something they are sprinkling out there to give them an out if they can't meet the Dec 5th date

ToTBellHop

saw a report going around that it was completed but Disney wasn't happy with it and 70% of it is being redone

who knows ... maybe just something they are sprinkling out there to give them an out if they can't meet the Dec 5th date
I cannot imagine they announced a specific date a week ago that they didn’t expect to meet. And I struggle to believe that such a change could occur in a week. The only things that could do that would be a significant equipment failure/damage or the execs hating the final show. They haven’t tested the show yet, so Bob hasn’t seen it. And we aren’t hearing of any tech failures.

If I were guessing, the composer made the music and the show-writers wanted changes. Nothing unusual about that. It’s a collaborative process.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Disney wouldn't announce a specific date if unsure it'll start on that date. That might mean scrambling to finish and smoothing out kinks after opening, but that's the tale of many Disney openings.

jrhwdw

A Taste of Luminous CONFIRMED for December 5!
I'd be Happy with EF and a Taste of Luminous if it had to come down to that.

Although, I'm sure TDO wants the full Luminous on Dec 5 since that's what was announced last weekend.

I'm a little confused on the article as well. If most of the Soundtrack bombed(which looks to be the reason why Luminous is Dec 5 and not this Friday if I'm reading correctly), is the same Guy still working on it now?

jrhwdw

What a perfect reason to have the Peace on Earth tag on standby. Lol I still keep hoping!
Why Epcot had to end that along with Major Oct 1st Anniversaries Tags when ROE ended, I'll never understand.

At least the Epcot Tag still exists for DVC Moonlight Magic.......

TheMaxRebo

I'd be Happy with EF and a Taste of Luminous if it had to come down to that.

Although, I'm sure TDO wants the full Luminous on Dec 5 since that's what was announced last weekend.

I'm a little confused on the article as well. If most of the Soundtrack bombed(which looks to be the reason why Luminous is Dec 5 and not this Friday if I'm reading correctly), is the same Guy still working on it now?

It's a gal working on it, Pinar Toprak, who did the Epcot anthem that is used in the 40th SSE show

TTA94

I'm a little confused on the article as well.

Yeah “That Site” is wrong more often then not. They also were the ones that posted earlier in the year about MSEP returning to MK in either 2023 or 2024 and that doesn’t appear to be happening.

They also just posted about Wonderous Journey not returning in 2024. Not sure I believe that one either.

cjkeating

I do worry that we'll have last minute exec meddling to make it more sanitised and less conceptual like has happened with many flagship nighttime shows.

Also the other site says people loved the Harmonious soundtrack. Really? Yes I didn't mind some of the remixes of the songs but it seemed to have no main theme, was weirdly paced and didn't know when it wanted to end. In my opinion.

Vinnie Mac

I'm tempted to somewhat believe the rumor from the other site.

- It's strange that Luminous is debuting in December because when has Disney debuted a non-holiday show in December? It's especially weird for Epcot considering the fact that Illuminations, Epcot Forever, and Harmonious all debuted Sept-October.

-Was originally described as a 100th anniversary show but it is debuting at the very end of the celebration?

- If the reports from people on the boards about Harmonious GSAT scores being low are true, surely the soundtrack plays a part in guest satisfaction and we know Disney would do anything possible to not repeat the failures of the 50th shows.

-Would explain why Disney has been tight-lipped about details up until recently and would also explain why we have seen no behind the scenes promotional videos like they do with literally EVERY other show (with Harmonious they were posting those a whole year out)

If it is true it gives me a lot of hope that Disney is trying to get this show right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom