News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

wdwfan22

If the infrastructure weren't a major problem, they would have simply re-programmed the very expensive existing barges for a new show. It was both unsightly and costly to maintain, and promised features like the fountains never materialized because they didn't function as advertised. That they scrapped everything means the barges themselves were seen as a massive misfire.
The infrastructure was already becoming expensive to maintain, so since a new show was being developed it had to go. I’m not saying it didn’t play a part in the shows removal I’m just stating Disney was most likely ready to pull the trigger on a new show because of the revenue lost from dining and alcohol sales.

James Alucobond

The infrastructure was already becoming expensive to maintain, so since a new show was being developed it had to go. I’m not saying it didn’t play a part in the shows removal I’m just stating Disney was most likely ready to pull the trigger on a new show because of the revenue lost from dining and alcohol sales.
Chicken or egg, I suppose. The infrastructure is a large part of why the show was unsuccessful, and the daytime views gave it a bigger hurdle to surmount than it needed when impressing at night. Again, the infrastructure was new and expensive. If the Harmonious program were the only problem, we would have ordinarily seen them take another shot with a different show on the same hardware.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
the infrastructure contributed that too though, as the angles you saw the show from the dining locations, from the private viewing areas, from the firework cruise locations, etc. weren't once you could see the center barge well

I think it is a combination of things - while I enjoyed the show quite a bit I know it wasn't everyone's favorite and clearly wasn't so unbelievably amazing and universally loved that it overcame the infrastructure challenges ... but I think those infrastructure challenges are why the totally scrapped it vs reworking it and taking at least a 2nd try

I hated it until I saw it in person. Then I loved the show, but hated everything that had to be in place to enjoy the show.

I think it had to do a lot with infrastructure, sight lines, maintenance, falling sales, and the biggest issue to me was that it wasn’t a theatre in the round show so there were only two places where you could truly see it in full.

Disney Glimpses

I don’t buy that one bit. the show couldn’t keep guests in the park and dining in the restaurants till 9pm. yes Guest did complain about sight lines but that is not the main reason for the show being replaced.
As much as people here love Illuminations, it was not considered a "must see" for first time Disney guests. Those folks expect fireworks and are pretty easily pleased. For example, I have been told that the scores for Enchantment amongst those who had never seen Happily Ever After were actually quite high.

In reality though, executive leadership touring EPCOT solidified the decision regarding the barges and Harmonious.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
As much as people here love Illuminations, it was not considered a "must see" for first time Disney guests. Those folks expect fireworks and are pretty easily pleased. For example, I have been told that the scores for Enchantment amongst those who had never seen Happily Ever After were actually quite high.

I believe that. You don’t know what you don’t know and those that hadn’t seen HEA didn’t know anything different so enchantment was probably 💯 to them.

I can understand how Illuminations wasn’t a “must see” for first time guests especially with the slow parts, but it was such an amazing show overall. My wife on the other hand despised it and only stayed to watch it because I loved it so much.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
As much as people here love Illuminations, it was not considered a "must see" for first time Disney guests
Unfortunately, I can vouch for that. My best friend and her husband visited WDW for the first time in 2019. She was left pretty unimpressed with IllumiNations (while I just stared at her with my mouth agape thing, what the heck is wrong with you?!? lol). Compare that to the fact she was literally crying at the end of Happily Ever After and said "That was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life!", which made up for the fact she didn't like IllumiNations.

Vinnie Mac

Unfortunately, I can vouch for that. My best friend and her husband visited WDW for the first time in 2019. She was left pretty unimpressed with IllumiNations (while I just stared at her with my mouth agape thing, what the heck is wrong with you?!? lol). Compare that to the fact she was literally crying at the end of Happily Ever After and said "That was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life!", which made up for the fact she didn't like IllumiNations.
I doubt a lot of non Disney park fans would really understand the narrative and sentimental genius behind that show. To most people it was just cool fireworks, some flame throwers, and a globe. That's okay but it definitely makes me wonder if Disney will attempt to do something so story driven again or if they'll try to better balance wow-factor with storytelling. Perhaps with this show they will?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Couldn't they fit between the "forks" of these new larger barges that we are seeing? That space has to be open in the center of these larger barges for some reason. 🤔

Yeah, that shape is unusual. Maybe these will be permanently docked in the lagoon and barges with the pyro will be brought out each day and inserted into the forks.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Look at these new toys Epcot has, yes they’re gigantic but look at those beautiful outboard motors on the back, that’s what I want to see!!!!!! Despite rumors of fountains being cut I’m assuming those will be the Maxi Barges 2.0
I’m very curious to see what purpose they serve, what the front is and the back. I assuming pyro and fountain. What really baffles me is the shape of them, the platform in front and the long set of stairs leading up to it. Then we have 22 burneys which would make up what we see in the concept art. These 2 will probably be among the 5-6 fountain barges we see in the concept.
IMG_0231.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpeg
    IMG_0233.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

SoFloMagic

pic.twitter.com/XJ52kK89zK</a></p>&mdash; Scott Gustin (@ScottGustin) <a href="

Maybe nothing going in the forks. Forks may just be a way of making it go around in a circle without adding more barges.

But we're getting a 360 show again!

aladdin2007

what irks me is most of us could see that coming as soon as they were introduced, and Disney didn't well in advance during construction and production? They blew millions. Lets hope there is better management teams in place for this new show, so far from what were seeing being created its looking like it.

mattpeto

I don’t buy that one bit. the show couldn’t keep guests in the park and dining in the restaurants till 9pm. yes Guest did complain about sight lines but that is not the main reason for the show being replaced.
Here we go with this argument again, pull up the ratings posted here numerous times. It surpassed RoE and EF in many of the age demographics.

Harmonious died primarily because of the daytime views. If it was just “Harmonious was a lousy show”, it could have been revised, like many other shows.

TTA94

Look at these new toys Epcot has, yes they’re gigantic but look at those beautiful outboard motors on the back, that’s what I want to see!!!!!! Despite rumors of fountains being cut I’m assuming those will be the Maxi Barges 2.0
I’m very curious to see what purpose they serve, what the front is and the back. I assuming pyro and fountain. What really baffles me is the shape of them, the platform in front and the long set of stairs leading up to it. Then we have 22 burneys which would make up what we see in the concept art. These 2 will probably be among the 5-6 fountain barges we see in the concept.
View attachment 734337

I’d does seem like these might have moving fountains like Harmonious had, but @wdwmagic kinda said otherwise. 🤷‍♂️

TTA94

I’m curious how the lighting and spot lights will be compared to Harmonious. It is possible if these large barges and small barges will all have spots on them, it may be equal if not more than Harmonious had. Which will be a good thing.

Epcot82Guy

Here we go with this argument again, pull up the ratings posted here numerous times. It surpassed RoE and EF in many of the age demographics.

Harmonious died primarily because of the daytime views. If it was just “Harmonious was a lousy show”, it could have been revised, like many other shows.

The issue is that argument is also not fleshed out. Harmonious, one of the largest, must expensive shows in Disney Parks history with massive new tech polled moderately better with younger demographics and worse with older demographics than (1) a show with 20 year old technology that had been running nightly that whole time, and (2) a smaller temporary show that focused on music from the park that had been gone for years.

The apples to apples comparison would have been Harmonious vs I:ROE with reworked tech and possible update to the globe section (the part people complained most about).

I'm not saying that's possible. Rather, comparing polls for a show at the end of it's life against a brand new one isn't a very good comparison. It should be blowing the previous show's numbers out of the park for that cost.

stuart

I wonder what will be on the small platform at the front of these barges.

For a mundane take on the shape of the barges, if space in marina was to be a concern, the gap looks like it could fit the crew boats.

Or even one inside the other if they turned them in the marina, but that would likely be more of a hindrance than a help to turn three of them to do that.
20230731_075421.jpg

Touchdown

I still am a little bit surprised they didn’t keep the tacos. They, unlike stargate, were not restricting on angles. I visited Epcot with those installed and before stargate and they weren’t nearly as bad (and my main complaint was due to them not being off center of the lagoon.) I think maintenance costs killed them not the other objections listed here.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I’d does seem like these might have moving fountains like Harmonious had, but @wdwmagic kinda said otherwise. 🤷‍♂️
I think they said no significant fountain effects, why else would they need those barges. Moving fountains were those arms, I take it these fountains will be more like ROE which is fine. I think the top of the fountains are going to be the front, I wouldn’t be surprised if the barges were long like that to house projection for water images. I’m speculating and going by how some of these effects Disney has used work I know nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom