News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

If so there should be 4 of these barges?
From what I'm seeing in the concept art, 6? Maybe more? Hard to tell exactly but definitely feel like it's more than 4 from what I can see in the concept art that's been released.

img_2908-1068x384.jpg

trainplane3

Are these going to be permanent or brought backstage during the day like Illuminations?
Backstage. @wdwmagic mentioned a few times we should have a mostly clear lagoon during the daytime like RoE.

I'm sure the pyro and show teams are glad they can work on the barges without needing a goofy looking lift that's been strapped to a oversized barge while in the middle of the lagoon.

Vegas Disney Fan

Backstage. @wdwmagic mentioned a few times we should have a mostly clear lagoon during the daytime like RoE.

I'm sure the pyro and show teams are glad they can work on the barges without needing a goofy looking lift that's been strapped to a oversized barge while in the middle of the lagoon.
Thanks, I thought I’d read that earlier but was
expecting small fireworks barges and when I saw how big these were I was afraid they may be permanent. Happy to hear they learned from the Harmonious mistakes.

trainplane3

Someone drew up a possible layout:

Which does match up nicely with:

Edit: Just realized something. The small black barges look like they'll nest themselves within the new blue barges. When they move the blue barges out, the black ones will come out with them. Then once blues are docked, they can hook up to the black ones and pull them out like how they move them before and after Epcot Forever. If that's the case, that should be pretty nice for ops.

Squishy

They must need a heck of a team to get 6 barges & 24(?) mini barges(some of which aren't ready or in the marina yet) fitted with leds, spotlights, pyro launchers, maybe some fountains then calibrated, tested, operations training & show ready within 3 months unless they delay it of course..

Last edited:

jrhwdw

Edit: Just realized something. The small black barges look like they'll nest themselves within the new blue barges. When they move the blue barges out, the black ones will come out with them. Then once blues are docked, they can hook up to the black ones and pull them out like how they move them before and after Epcot Forever. If that's the case, that should be pretty nice for ops.

With so little Information on this, I expected a copy of EF's Barges......not this! If every single Barge has Pyro,,,Could this be Epcot's biggest Fireworks show ever??? Not counting Tags of course!
Looks like a familiar pattern from above....🤔
780w_463h_103017_fanniversary-epcot-logo-concept-to-now-4.jpg
Maybe some EPCOT CENTER Music will be in the show?

Tichina Arnold Reaction GIF by CBS

It does look possible. Would also make sense for ease in transporting such a layout on and off stage if they are being moved every day.

wdwfan22

The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. Yes, if the show was overwhelmingly amazing, they probably would not have removed it. But the primary complaint was absolutely the abhorrent sight lines. If those barges were brought in temporarily each night, we'd still have Harmonious today.
I don’t buy that one bit. the show couldn’t keep guests in the park and dining in the restaurants till 9pm. yes Guest did complain about sight lines but that is not the main reason for the show being replaced.

James Alucobond

I don’t buy that one bit. the show couldn’t keep guests in the park and dining in the restaurants till 9pm. yes Guest did complain about sight lines but that is not the main reason for the show being replaced.
If the infrastructure weren't a major problem, they would have simply re-programmed the very expensive existing barges for a new show. It was both unsightly and costly to maintain, and promised features like the fountains never materialized because they didn't function as advertised. That they scrapped everything means the barges themselves were seen as a massive misfire.

TheMaxRebo

the infrastructure contributed that too though, as the angles you saw the show from the dining locations, from the private viewing areas, from the firework cruise locations, etc. weren't once you could see the center barge well

I think it is a combination of things - while I enjoyed the show quite a bit I know it wasn't everyone's favorite and clearly wasn't so unbelievably amazing and universally loved that it overcame the infrastructure challenges ... but I think those infrastructure challenges are why the totally scrapped it vs reworking it and taking at least a 2nd try

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom