News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm fully convinced this show is about to be a downgrade at this point
There are some very talented people working on it, and I am sure it will be a great firework show. However, it is not going to be the massive and complex spectacle that Harmonious was. It will be interested to see how it is received and how it will shape things going forward.

Incomudro

There are some very talented people working on it, and I am sure it will be a great firework show. However, it is not going to be the massive and complex spectacle that Harmonious was. It will be interested to see how it is received and how it will shape things going forward.
This is good news as far as I'm concerned.
Massive and complex is not always better.
Better is better.

TestTrack

This is good news as far as I'm concerned.
Massive and complex is not always better.
Better is better.
Agreed!

ROE was not exactly complex and neither was illuminations '88...but both were light years ahead of harmonious. Not just for the blocked daytime views...but also for the music and fitting the park. I LOVED in the original illuminations where each country would light up individually when classical music from that country played. ROE still is an Epic soundtrack. Adding "tentacles" surrounded by tacos doesn't make a show better :)

Incomudro

Agreed!

ROE was not exactly complex and neither was illuminations '88...but both were light years ahead of harmonious. Not just for the blocked daytime views...but also for the music and fitting the park. I LOVED in the original illuminations where each country would light up individually when classical music from that country played. ROE still is an Epic soundtrack. Adding "tentacles" surrounded by tacos doesn't make a show better :)
Thank you.
Yes, this is a lot like the way I feel about movies.
That trend to make the sequel bigger, and more.
Sometimes keeping things more basic is better.
Now, we are talking fireworks here so - of course there is a level of spectacular that's needed and expected.
But like you said, the lighting up of each country during Illuminations was very moving.
Good show is good show.

Epcot82Guy

I'm sure you have to be silent in a lot of ways, but is there any high level indication of whether criticisms of "fit" for Epcot are even being considered?

gerarar

Premium Member
I agree, they wouldn't. But I thought there were technical issues with the kites, which is why they didn't return to the EF show pre-Harmodious.
The kites (and jetskis and associated staffing) were contracted out. They were then moved to Kitetails at AK for the 50th

Once Kitetails ended, presumably the contract along with it ended.

Kiteman Productions are the geniuses behind the kites at Disney's shows worldwide:

One of our specialties include especially developed kite shows for the world’s most famous theme parks including, Walt Disney World (EPCOT), Tokyo Disney Sea (9 years and going flying Kiteman Kites), Tokyo Disneyland, Disney Cruse Line, Universal Studios Florida, Japan and Spain, Sea World Florida, Cypress Gardens Florida and Hard Rock Park!

Screenshot_20230517_111119_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230517_111131_Chrome.jpg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The kites (and jetskis and associated staffing) were contracted out. They were then moved to Kitetails at AK for the 50th

Once Kitetails ended, presumably the contract along with it ended.

Kiteman Productions are the geniuses behind the kites at Disney's shows:

Honestly, those were the most enjoyable part of EF for me (I only saw the original version). I never cared for the audio clips that are never allowed to breathe for more than 10 seconds before going on to the next one. I've heard from a trustworthy source that the pyro in 2.0 was better than in 1.0.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Less is more in my book but my main concern is the soundtrack/musical aspect of the new show. Will it be on par with RoE or Epcot Forever/Harmonious?

gerarar

Premium Member
Honestly, those were the most enjoyable part of EF for me (I only saw the original version). I never cared for the audio clips that are never allowed to breathe for more than 10 seconds before going on to the next one. I've heard from a trustworthy source that the pyro in 2.0 was better than in 1.0.
Totally agree. I remember being awestruck by those kites, especially the ones during Flying High when they lit up with pyro.

Pyro did improve with 2.0 since they substituted the kites for more shells.
imo, 2.0 > 3.0 (current) > 1.0 in terms of pyro and usage.

trainplane3

I agree, they wouldn't. But I thought there were technical issues with the kites, which is why they didn't return to the EF show pre-Harmodious.
The kites had issues on the debut show and continued to have issues throughout the run. It seemed pretty obvious they wouldn't last long.

I'm fine with this. Harmonious had too much happening at once or not enough. There was no balance. You didn't know where to look because you would miss something. Fireworks? Maybe the screens? But what about the arms? The lighting on barges? No balance, total visual overload of a show which isn't good in my opinion. Nothing had it's moment to shine except for the opening and closing sections.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

Honestly this is okay. I enjoyed Harmonious for what it was (it was a technological wonder and even it’s worst critics have to admit that) but the views during the day spoiled the entire thing and the show was too IP heavy.

I’m sure that the new show will have a ton of IP unfortunately but sometimes less is more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom