Epcot's 40th Anniversary

gerarar

Premium Member
40th Special Beacons of Magic still being played tonight:
(I've timestamp'd the linked livestream on my favorite part, We Go On...)

There does seem to be an issue with the floodlights with their timing.

wdwfan22

And now come to find out that the original EPCOT Center loop from 1982 was not so original after all. It appears it to borrowed music.

JoeCamel

Funny, weren't people complaining about the new loop not being original music too?

Hm

Think this just goes to show that a soundtrack doesn't always have to be 100% original to be good.
Music is used to set a mood, in this case does it matter if it is original or something created before exactly like what would have been created to fit the moment?
Its all good it just has to do the function not the form

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Music is used to set a mood, in this case does it matter if it is original or something created before exactly like what would have been created to fit the moment?
Well, at they never went the top 40 list route like in other parks...

Epcot82Guy

It's also about placesetting. If a song is familiar, then it doesn't feel like it belongs to the space. If it's lesser known, it gives the song a new life. I agree, it doesn't matter if it is truly original. But, using a well known song that has a significant following outside the entry usage would make it feel less special. And, that would change the effectiveness - since it would make you think of the song source, not Epcot.

ToTBellHop

Given that Epcot has numerous attractions with their own music, I would just rather have entrance music made up of attraction music there. Of course, nowadays that would include Pixar music, Frozen, and “September”…

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A lot of the 'new loop' is from TV series and movies and albums dedicated to artists attempting to encapsulate abstract themes like "nature" and "the ocean" and "modern progress" and "hope."

As WDW is commissioning artists to create new music for EPCOT, the artist's will ask, "What kind of music do you want." And WDW say, "we need music that represents the themes of "nature" and "the ocean" and "modern progress" and "hope."

So...

Vinnie Mac

As WDW is commissioning artists to create new music for EPCOT, the artist's will ask, "What kind of music do you want." And WDW say, "we need music that represents the themes of "nature" and "the ocean" and "modern progress" and "hope."

So...
Now if they just do this same exact thing but for the new nighttime spectacular we're set

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And now come to find out that the original EPCOT Center loop from 1982 was not so original after all. It appears it to borrowed music.

Correct. There is also another needle drop piece but I forget the original at the moment.
Funny, weren't people complaining about the new loop not being original music too?

Hm

Think this just goes to show that a soundtrack doesn't always have to be 100% original to be good.
Correct. The current Land interior loop invokes memories and that’s completely needledrop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom