EPCOT -- What could we do to improve it?

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
While EPCOT is a firm second favorite in my book (magic kingdom is my fave), I believe A LOT could be done to help it.

First of all Future World is basically an excuse to put in a bunch of unrelated rides. Let me ask you this: What does the entire Land pavillion have to do with the future? I love that area, just saying that EPCOT needs to think if it really is looking into the Future.

Test Track may seem futuristic, and it is. But it's essentially a modernized Go Karts ride with scenery. Really, that's the truth.

Anyway I was wondering how does anyone think that EPCOT could be changed to "fix" Future World?

One thing I'd begin with is an E Ticket on the WOrld SHowcase Lagoon (boaded in Future World).

SirNim

Put the emphasis back on inspiration.

This is what modern Epcot has been lacking in recent years. Yes, TT and MS entertain and partially educate/give a glimpse into their respective industries/sciences... but there has been a lack of true inspiration, which is the core essence of Epcot, as so stated in the dedication. MS does not inspire you to become an astronaut. It doesn't. TT doesn't inspire you to take up car design as a hobby. It doesn't. But Wonders of Life inspires you to lead a healthier lifestyle, Spaceship Earth inspires you to dream about the future, and future technology, The Living Seas inspires you to be concerned about our oceans, The Land inspires you to take symbiotic, ecological precautions in your own environment (running the gamut from no littering to planting sustainable crops in your backyard), The old JIImagination inspired you to simply dream and imagine future possibilities, Universe of Energy to be a smart and aware energy consumer, etc. There's a pattern there. It's all about inspiring the Guest to make the Future World a better place through the various industries and concepts presented in the course of a day at Epcot. Modern Epcot is putting more of an emphasis on thrills and fun fun fun and irrelevant education (e.g. the process by which cars are put through to test how well they will hold up on the road). So what?

To reintroduce inspiration:Epcot::to breathe new life:unfocused project.

"Pure and Simple..." ( :lookaroun )

It can be done while retaining the "fun."

General Grizz

Spaceship Earth: Update the entire attraction. If possible, redo riding system. Make show scenes even MORE elaborate! And finally, give the finale a new update (using AAs, of course), with action in every direction. There could be a lot of stuff done in the "earth" scene.

Innoventions: It needs a new image. Mix in the Future World Gardens idea with bridges, etc. in Future World Central. . . but keep the general fountain/industrial atmosphere. Redo the inside with *memorable*, *Disneyesque* attractions, ala Timekeeper. If Disney is desperate, this area is ideal for the Carousel of Progress; however, that would disrupt the open "plaza" atmosphere, as well as the view of the fountain.

Wonders of Life: Keep the Cranium Command (reshoot all video footage and modernize the setting, and make the queue more "recruitment"-style and elaborate), take out Body Wars and add a new Chemistry/molecule-related thrill ride which could extend behind the pavilion and into Mission Space's backstage, add new, original characters to enhance the shows, and retheme the area, while keeping the atmosphere and area music. Even adding Toy Story to SENSORY FUNHOUSE - AND SENSORY FUNHOUSE ONLY - would be a huge draw for the kids. Perhaps have a working pharmacy lab at the pavilion.

Mission Space: Make this a dual pavilion. Add something more for families. If necessary, a new post-show. Make this big, with giant walkthroughs of elaborate scenes of space, ala Horizons, and unique areas. Rework the queue area to be vast and expansive. Add a MEMORABLE, CLASSIC theme song.

Test Track: Gut the current post-show and retheme it to, first, a walkthrough story of the progress of motion from the ride exit, into a future city: the entrance to the main post show. Add Disney shows regarding motion (ala Bird and Robot), and bring a theme song to the exit: "Fun to be Free" would be appropriate. In other words, make it GOOD!!

Journey into Imagination: Gut the ride. Gut the queue. Redo it. Figment and Dreamfinder are absolutely necessary and add the NEWEST TECHNOLOGY AND SPECIAL EFFECTS . . . as well as a decent, all around admirable story. Make it BREATHTAKING. Make it fun. Reopen the upstairs. This place needs the most help.

The Land: Changes undergoing. Keep the spirit of the Land. . .retheme California to Soarin' over the Land - landscapes, etc. not! landmarks! GUT ANY AIRPORT/CRUISE LINE THEME SHOULD IT SHOW UP NEXT YEAR.

The Living Seas: Reopen Sea Cabs and utilize Finding Nemo only slightly more. Do NOT overdo it! General retheming. General modernization.

You know, Epcot doesn't need all that much - a few refurbishments in every pavilion, and two more new "E-Ticket" rides: thrill (WoL - but it would NOT! affect the rest of the pavilion) and family (JII - something that any guest at Epcot would say "Wow!" to). Otherwise, retheme post shows, making them Disney quality. . . and bring back symbols, songs, and the united feel that would strengthen the "Future World" one again!

General Grizz

SirNim said:
Put the emphasis back on inspiration.

This is what modern Epcot has been lacking in recent years. Yes, TT and MS entertain and partially educate/give a glimpse into their respective industries/sciences... but there has been a lack of true inspiration, which is the core essence of Epcot, as so stated in the dedication. MS does not inspire you to become an astronaut. It doesn't. TT doesn't inspire you to take up car design as a hobby. It doesn't. But Wonders of Life inspires you to lead a healthier lifestyle, Spaceship Earth inspires you to dream about the future, and future technology, The Living Seas inspires you to be concerned about our oceans, The Land inspires you to take symbiotic, ecological precautions in your own environment (running the gamut from no littering to planting sustainable crops in your backyard), The old JIImagination inspired you to simply dream and imagine future possibilities, Universe of Energy to be a smart and aware energy consumer, etc. There's a pattern there. It's all about inspiring the Guest to make the Future World a better place through the various industries and concepts presented in the course of a day at Epcot. Modern Epcot is putting more of an emphasis on thrills and fun fun fun and irrelevant education (e.g. the process by which cars are put through to test how well they will hold up on the road). So what?

To reintroduce inspiration:Epcot::to breathe new life:unfocused project.

"Pure and Simple..." ( :lookaroun )

It can be done while retaining the "fun."
Beautiful (!!) :D

(P.S. PM me when work is done, no rush. :) )

Legacy

Get rid of the stupid wand, first off.

Generally though, the pavillion themes in Future World are still very relevant. However, their presentation is beginning to become far too lackluster to be appealing. Even Test Track and Mission: Space are poor excuses for replacements considering how little they deal with the message of Epcot. Future needs to return to its core roots of showcasing the future, which the Land and Living Seas still do, but are both being changed. Imagination doesn't inspire anymore, Wonders of Life and Universe of Energy are both outdated, Test Track teaches very little and Mission: Space sacrifices magic for thrills. Spaceship Earth is the only attraction that is still true to the message of Epcot, and as long as they keep updating the descent it will stay that way.

World Showcase is still amazingly relevant, however aside from two rides it isn't overly appealing to those who are not music/show or food fans. A good dark ride and another thrill ride opposite Norway would really do a lot to move more people into this part of Epcot. Has Grizz and Nim have both said, Epcot is no longer true to its message. If it is possible for Epcot to return to it's magically educational roots, while still being modern, I think the park could become bigger than it ever was.

Jajo

Looking down from the satelite image, it looks like World Showcase could take 5 more countries (maybe less). Get some life into WS. Excitement can be both entertaining and informative. Think of what they could do with a Caribean pavilion, or India, or Australia, or Switzerland. Remember all E ticket attractions don't have to be roller coasters (Jungle Cruise, PotC, Haunted Mansion are all E ticket). I know that the host country has to have some interest (and financial backing) but I think it's in Disney's interest to build up WS.

EpcotGrl

My favorite park! Definitely definitely add a big e-ticket in to the WS, because right now alot of guests consider that the "boring" section...anything to get people moving along from Future World would be a plus!! DEFINITELY update WoL--I *lurve* Cranium Command...Hanz & Franz, Norm, Charles Grodin...friggin' classic! Innoventions definitely needs a bit of an update--it currently serves as "the air conditioned hallway to get from pt. A to pt. B" for a lot of guests. Spaceship Earth needs an update like nobody's business!! :) There could be so much more done in there, darnit!!

That's all I can think of at the moment, but rest assured that about midnight I'll sit straight up in bed with more brilliant ideas to share ;)

imagineer boy

One of the things that has bothered me about Future World is that one time I spent my whole day here, and didn't have enough time to go to World Showcase. World Showcase has little to do which Future World has too much to do. Some things should be minimalized so that people can do everything in one day.

Rotel1026

imagineer boy said:
Some things should be minimalized so that people can do everything in one day.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone say they wanted less and not more.

I'd have to agree that World Showcase needs more. And I don't necessarily mean more countries because the ones they got could use more rides. And no need for coasters, I don't think having a coaster stick up behind the buildings of World Showcase would look all that great. But better dark/boat rides. Maybe something along the lines of Maelstrom but with a bigger drop.

Main Street USA

Mickeyrulz said:
Test Track...but it's essentially a modernized Go Karts ride with scenery. Really, that's the truth.

I realize that this was not the gist of your post, but this sentence of yours ranks pretty high on the list of MOST RIDICULOUS things I've ever read on these boards.....and I've been here a while.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
I'd suggest keeping the Innoventions Look to Future World. No, not Innoventions, but the look. The fiber optics in the ground, the rubber neon in the ground around the planters, the colored lights, all that adds to the atmosphere in that area.

Second, Move CoP there, and extend the Southern portion of Innoventions West out towards Imagination, which would be the building for CoP. Some of you will say that will totally waste space around that area... well, no, it won't. I suggest CoP be housed in a building that doesn't look round, and has a futuristic waterfall coming down off the side of the building facing the upward waterfall of Imagination. The water would go down, underneath the pathways, and finally hit the lake at the bottom.

Imagination lf course would be re-done, as well as updating the Living Seas. The Seas should be updated with new films, and I would open both theaters once again. As much as I like "The Sea" I think it should be updated, something with a little more humor, along the lines of the Energy rehab back in 95. I'm not saying to bring Bill Nye in, but they could do so much there... Dory would be perfect in the movie... along with... Jean-Michel Cousteau I'd actually keep the preshow scientific with Jean-Michel Cousteau, and have Dory work her way in druing the main movie. I'd love to extend the Sea Cabs, but that's not do-able, so adding Nemo background music there would work, with Nemo elements as well. As for the seabase theme, I think that would work. Though, for the entire attraction, Jean-Michel Cousteau and Dory and Marlin would have to appear. (On a side note, if you don't know the relation between Jean-Michel Cousteau and Finding Nemo, you need to watch "Exploring the Reef" on the Finding Nemo DVD.)

Now, The Land has problems of its own. I suggest changing the Circle of Life to a dark ride. WHAT? What are you saying? You think I'm mad? Well, let's look at what you could build there... the show building is gigantic, a 3 story dark ride would be no problem, and to tell you the truth, I think it would fit in rather well...

What kind of dark ride you ask? Well, nothing like Dinosaur or Indy, more of a Fantasyland Dark ride taken to the next level. How? Imagine a Fantasyland dark ride that speeds up and slows down, ranging from 0 to 20 mph... the sets would be 3 Dimentional. The sets of what? Well, the land of course. (anyone who says it should be an airport will be shot LOL) There is so much potential, and it would be an interesting change. And since the land includes volcanoes... some Journey to the Center of the Earth elements could fit in pretty well.

Weather could be added as well. Storm Rider, although I'm against clones, does belong in Epcot between The Living Seas and the Land. This of course wouldn't be done as part of the first phase, but I think it would work.

Imagination needs a total re-work, and making it a real dark ride would add in so much. Imagination isn't an onmi-mover now, and I don't see it coming back as one. But, the entire pavilion's first floor would be gutted and expanded. HISTA would be closed and would be... umm, changed into a Post Ride Attraction... Imagination would become a very different attraction. Figment and Dreamfinder would play important roles in everything... along with new characters made for the attraction, to create a real solid story-line. Now, the main attraction would use technology that is currently used in The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman at Universal's Islands of Adventure. Well, Imagine a story developed like that for the pavilion. Now that's IMAGINATION. Spiderman is fun for all types of families and people, and Imagination would be the same. The ride cars would actually be based on the EMVs of Indy, plus the ability to spin and have in car effects. The 3-D movie would be an extension of the attraction, as would the New Image Works upstairs.

Test Track I'd say to agree 100% with General Grizz.

Wonders of Life needs to have some changes, but I'm too tired to think of what they would be right now, but again, I like Grizz's Ideas, as well for Spaceship Earth.

That's my Future World Plan, but Innoventions would also have to be turned into new attractions, keeping maybe only one side of Innoventions.

Well, that's all for now. Later...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Epcot needs to head back towards a 21st century EPCOT Center. Back to the impact of 82-83. Cutting edge rides with state of the art ride systems and effects. Emotion. Storytelling. I hate to say it, but in 2004 people wouldn`t want to spend vacation time learning about Fossil fuels and hydroponics, but today people expect so much more. When I first visited IOA it hit me like my first EPCOT Center visit - the majority of the attractions blew me away. Technically, Spiderman, The Hulk, Posseiddon, Dudley, Popeye, duelling Dragons and Jurrasic Park all in one park were just ahead of anything I had seen before. The same as a travelling theatre, a ride in a Geosphere, choosing my own return to Futureport, seeing Imagination come to life, going beneath the seas and riding through the human body were 15 years ago. It all boils down to one thing. Money. This isn`t Eisner bashing, but Disney have become too complacent with the parks. Mission Space may be good but could have been so much more. Test Track is good, but where is its follow up (ok, maybe in Tokyo)? Futureworld wasn`t just about the future. It presented its themes in a futuristic way.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
General Grizz to replace eisner in 06. his assistance...... marni1971. good job guys. i totally agree with what was said and it was exciting to think about those possibilities. wish it could happen.

Lauriebar

Mickeyrulz said:
First of all Future World is basically an excuse to put in a bunch of unrelated rides. Let me ask you this: What does the entire Land pavillion have to do with the future?
Have you ever experienced The Land? And if you have, did you listen to any part of it?

The future is not defined by only futuristic, sci-fi type ideas and attractions. What pavillions like The Land are trying to convey are the ideas that can take us into the future without destroying the earth. They help us to understand our planet and how to make it better for our children.

A Future World attraction doesn't have to be E-ticket to get its point across. The reason I love EPCOT is because it teaches as it entertains.

I do think that some improvements could be made...but not if it means moving away from the original premise of EPCOT. Just because some people think it is boring is no reason to turn it into just any other thrill park. I prefer EPCOT as it is.

General Grizz

On the note of the Land, it may not be set in 2036, but the ACTUAL technology created for the pavilion's Listen to the Land greenhouses in 1982 were far ahead of their time.

It's this forward focus that has benefitted the Disney company; Living with the Land to this day still receives as many guests as Test Track or Mission Space.

Lauriebar

General Grizz said:
On the note of the Land, it may not be set in 2036, but the ACTUAL technology created for the pavilion's Listen to the Land greenhouses in 1982 were far ahead of their time.

It's this forward focus that has benefitted the Disney company; Living with the Land to this day still receives as many guests as Test Track or Mission Space.

This is why The Land is still relevant today...the future creeps up on us, it doesn't just show up one morning in a fancy rocketship. The original pavillions not only showed us what our future could be like, they showed us how we could take a part in shaping it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom