Epcot wand?

gsimpson

What the heck, might as well add my 2 cents. The wand does diminish SSE, in part because it makes it look smaller, in part because they chose a unique (and kindergardenish) font for the Epcot (does anyone know where else this script font is used at Epcot), and in part because it slopped those stars about the top of SSE. The hat is just plane tacky on every level and it seems to be in the way when they are having their various special events. I think the tombstones are there because someone at Epcot heard they were making money by selling named bricks over around MK, of course the folks at MK had the respect not to fling them about the castle.

Thanks to the person who said they liked the Cakstle, my faith in the universe is restored, the "for every rule there is an exception" rule is valid once again. I knew there had to be someone who liked it. (please note this is not meant as a slight in any way, everyone's taste are different and that is a good thing)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When I was there in December I recall hearing a CM say the Imagineers were looking into taking it down. I believe the delay is that putting it up was alot easier than taking it down. They were still trying to decide how to do it..
C-4 on the north east pylons :D

comics101

I have a couple questions about the wand at Epcot and the hat at D/MGM.
For the hat, why was it put up? I don't understand why anyone would want to put a pin shop in front of the Chinese Theater. It just doesn't make sense to me. For the wand, why was it decided to leave it up on top of SSE. They took down a couple of pieces of it, so why would TWDC decide to spend more money by adding extra to it. Could the Imaginears and Disney Executives really not see SSE looks better without it. I was also wondering why on all the park planning videos SSE is shown without the wand? Have Execs seen they've made a mistake? Thanks,
Comics101

FantasMickeyM

...and bird droppings all over one side of a brand new car does not ruin the beauty of the car, it just adds something to wherever on the car the bird droppings landed? :rolleyes:

Walt Disney World has provided guests over the years with different degrees of "magic". Even Walt Disney himself branched out from disney animated characters,etc when he was making EPCOT/Progress City the main focus of "Disney World" much more than the Magic Kingdom.

The magic to me is walking down a very well themed Hollywood Blvd and seeing the Chinese Theatre at the end....something you can't do in hollywood. Or seeing the world's first geosphere standing tall with graceful palm trees leading up to it, while rows of flowers and smaller trees lead up to it as well. Something unique only to WDW.

The "magic" became too commericialized and too stereotypical when the mysterious Godzilla Mickey was killed and they placed his hat in front of the chinese theatre and placed his arm still holding the wand next to spaceship earth. :lol:

And yes the wand does detract from the beauty of SSE when you have tacky glittery stars dotting parts of it, it also makes SSE look smaller, and throws the geometric layout of the entrance and plaza off with the wand off centering the view. It also clashes with the SSE area.

To really enjoy the beauty of SSE, one must go to the wandless side, where the last of the palm trees are from opening day, and can sit on the benches there and look up and see how colossal SSE looks and how modern simplicity works better than a second rate las vegas sign.

You do present your opinion as the "truth" though, although your opinion is no more (or less) valid than anyone elses on this forum.

Calling it "tacky" and "second rate las vegas sign" is not fair or very nice to all of those who find it "magical" and really like it. I might find Spaceship Earth boring without the wand and stars, but I don't see the point in writing something as destructive as that, when there are people here who think's it's beautiful and "magical". Putting other people's opinions down is not a good way of getting your own points across. It just makes it sound childish.

The actual truth is that it really is all a matter of opinions, all in the eye of the beholder.

You go see it from the wandless side, I'll see it from the other, and everyone's happy.

Waldo.Pepper

Call me a purist...

Call me a purist...but I don't like the wand. I comparedd photos taken of SSE clear back in '88 to ones I took in '05 from virtually the same spot. The old pictures look better...the way that SSE was meant to be, it is the icon of EPCOT, such as the hat creates a iconic image for MGM. The sphere just seems to be meant to be on its own.

As a side note...The photos I compared were taken with the same camera, I can't give up my 35mm Mamiya (that's as old as I am) for digital...like I mentioned, I am purist, or maybe just reactionary.

goofyfan13

I have been convinced that Siemens wants the Wand to go and it will be gone by the beginning of next year.

As much as I want to believe you, I'll believe it when I see it. I have been let down too many times when supposed dates for the wand to come down just fly by and nothing happens.

FantasMickeyM

So? Just cause Epcot is in WDW doesn't mean they need to slap character crap all over the park.

Some of us like the Disney characters and don't think it's crap. That's why some of us go to Disney World and not to just any other theme park.:king:

Being nice and friendly, and respecting other people's opinions wouldn't hurt either. Have a great day :)

goofyfan13

Some of us like the Disney characters and don't think it's crap. That's why some of us go to Disney World and not to just any other theme park.:king:

Being nice and friendly, and respecting other people's opinions wouldn't hurt either. Have a great day :)

I wasn't bashing your opinion, so sorry if you took it that way. I too like the Disney characters, but we don't need to turn Epcot into another MK. Mickey's hand has nothing to do with the purpose of Epcot. :wave:

FantasMickeyM

I wasn't bashing your opinion, so sorry if you took it that way. I too like the Disney characters, but we don't need to turn Epcot into another MK. Mickey's hand has nothing to do with the purpose of Epcot. :wave:

Good, thanks for that:wave:

Personally I'd prefer even more Disney Character stuff in Epcot, and in the other parks too, and I know my hubby agrees. And yeah, I know that a lot of people would disagree with us. :)

goofyfan13

Good, thanks for that:wave:

Personally I'd prefer even more Disney Character stuff in Epcot, and in the other parks too, and I know my hubby agrees. And yeah, I know that a lot of people would disagree with us. :)

Point taken, for me, I love to go to MK, but for me, Epcot is the, "mature" park. Walking around the WS at night with a pastry from France and a cup of coffee is among my favorite things to do. I just like to get away from the characters and all the little kids every once in a while. :)

donaldfan

No, it doesn't. But Epcot is in Disney World, and Mickey Mouse's hand has EVERYTHING to do with Disney. It was all started by a mouse etc..

Would you feel the same if there was a gigantic Mickey arm over Cinderella Castle? Explain to me what it has to do with Future World. I have no problem with the characters, I don't think anyone on this board really does. Most classic Disney attractions don't really have anything to do with the animated characters though.

I think most "pro-wand" fans are missing the point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom