Epcot wand?

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
I too liked it for the Millnm Celebration...It fit very well into the celebration and the over all theme of Epcot.

But now, to me - it's just tacky. It's outlived it's useful life and needs to go. I don't want, or need for that matter, a huge billboard exclaiming this is Epcot.

Please please please please
Give us back our "clean" Spaceship Earth!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
in 3 more years is MGM's 20th birthday, and the hat is really famous
so is the wand, it stamps out boredom at Epcot
No, the park is really famous. The park is nearly 20 (in 2 years), the hat is only 5. The hat is a store. The tower is a replica of what every Hollywood movie studio originally had for fire fighting, and thus a symbol of a movie studio and movie related park. The hat is at best a small part of a costume from a small part of one film, or part of a symbol of a department at TWDC.

The wand is just.... I won`t bring it up again but what enhancement does it give to the guest? Nothing. Unless they thought they were at the MK :lol: One thing is for sure - the wand will go before the Geosphere :D

IMHO of course.

goofyfan13

in 3 more years is MGM's 20th birthday, and the hat is really famous
so is the wand, it stamps out boredom at Epcot

Your joking right? The wand stamps out boredom at Epcot? How can a single structure accomplish such a thing...? Last I checked, people don't spend 71 bucks to look at a crappy structure, when there are numerous other attractions to enjoy. You want to know what stamped out boredom at Epcot here ya go, Test Track, Mission:Space, Soarin', Turtle Talk with Crush, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Illuminations...the list can go on depending on what your preference is, but those are the most popular attractions at the park, and that IMO is a pretty good list.

Epcot82Guy

Yep. Actually, the years immediately after the switch from the 2000 wand to the Epcot wand were Epcot's lowest attendance in recent years. So, I somehow think the wand has NOTHING to do with Epcot's boredom.

I would love to see SSE get a new lighting package. Have it actually appear to rotate at night as originally intended. It would look simple and impressive during the day. Then take a whole new element at night (much like Cinderella Castle).

lpet11984

I would love to see SSE get a new lighting package. Have it actually appear to rotate at night as originally intended. It would look simple and impressive during the day. Then take a whole new element at night (much like Cinderella Castle).

That sounds incredible! I had no idea it was intended to look as though it was rotating...How would something like that operate?

iheartdisney91

i love the wand its pretty... i dont remember the celebration of 2003 but if someone shows me a pic i'll remember cuz knowing me and my family we were prolly there. lol

Epcot82Guy

That sounds incredible! I had no idea it was intended to look as though it was rotating...How would something like that operate?

It's been a long time since I came across the specs on how it was allegedly going to work. But, basically, the surface was going to be smoother and gold. There would be a projection system that allowed it to be "dimensional" in some way so that the continents slowly rotated and clouds sat on the outside. As far as the physics, I am not sure. I do know that the surface does take projections fairly well, so they can crudely "rotate" it now. I think there are lighting packages that could work, though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Though I have no specs on the rotation system, Spaceship Earth was gold until around early `79; and with a smoother (though not smooth) surface. This was the version that first grew legs, after the black glass, Geodisic dome finale building was enhanced and lifted off the ground. It was also the inspiration for Spacestation Earth at Disneylands WESTCot. Just another trivia FYI :D

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I heard that Siemens is going to take the wand out of mickeys hand... and replace it with a big PocketPC Phone instead.

:lookaroun

(Siemens makes PocketPC phones)

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Though I have no specs on the rotation system, Spaceship Earth was gold until around early `79; and with a smoother (though not smooth) surface. This was the version that first grew legs, after the black glass, Geodisic dome finale building was enhanced and lifted off the ground. It was also the inspiration for Spacestation Earth at Disneylands WESTCot. Just another trivia FYI :D
Does anybody have pictures of when it was gold?

Texas84

The wand and the hat must go. But I kind of like the phone idea. After all, it is about communications, isn't it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does anybody have pictures of when it was gold?
Pictures? No. It existed like this in concept art form only. There are several pics of the art of both (black & gold) versions around. I`d upload them but I`m having main PC....issues. I`m typing this on an 8 year old W98 behemoth right now :(

Corrus said:
Errr... *cough, cough*
Corrus, if you ever want to cough in my direction..... well, you know what I mean :D

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Pictures? No. It existed like this in concept art form only. There are several pics of the art of both (black & gold) versions around. I`d upload them but I`m having main PC....issues. I`m typing this on an 8 year old W98 behemoth right now :(

Corrus, if you ever want to cough in my direction..... well, you know what I mean :D
Please let me know when you upload those pics! I would really like to see... and sorry about your W98 machine lol... I just had to get a new one because I fried the one I had. :wave:

lpet11984

It's been a long time since I came across the specs on how it was allegedly going to work. But, basically, the surface was going to be smoother and gold. There would be a projection system that allowed it to be "dimensional" in some way so that the continents slowly rotated and clouds sat on the outside. As far as the physics, I am not sure. I do know that the surface does take projections fairly well, so they can crudely "rotate" it now. I think there are lighting packages that could work, though.

Thanks for the insight, both of you! That's cool! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom