Epcot Today vs. Yesterday

OldAndBusted

Original Poster
Is there anything about Epcot that's better today than it was when the park opened? The only thing that comes to my mind is the addition of the 2 new country pavilions and the special events (food and wine, etc.). Future World especially stands out. Every replacement attraction has been inferior to the original.

wolf359

I agree Norway and Morocco and the Food and Wine Festival are great, solid additions to World Showcase. The new restaurants added to Italy and Mexico recently are also really good and elevate the offerings.

I'd also single out ANY of the newer shows at Spaceship Earth as being superior to the original 1982 show.

Pioneer Hall

Is there anything about Epcot that's better today than it was when the park opened? The only thing that comes to my mind is the addition of the 2 new country pavilions and the special events (food and wine, etc.). Future World especially stands out. Every replacement attraction has been inferior to the original.

I think the bold statement above is in the eye of the beholder. On a Disney fan board you might see a lot more people who prefer Horizons or WoM over their successors. However, in the eyes of the regular guest (who Disney is more concerned about accommodating) the replacements are probably much more popular.

sbryant24

Went to Epcot for the first time when I was a kid in 1985. Visited various times after that until 1995. 15 years had passed until my next visit last year. The park just seemed like it had lost its futuristic appeal.

Pioneer Hall

Went to Epcot for the first time when I was a kid in 1985. Visited various times after that until 1995. 15 years had passed until my next visit last year. The park just seemed like it had lost its futuristic appeal.

It has in a way, but that is almost a necessary adjustment in today's world where the future is at your finger tips. Take something simple like the House of Innovention that just reopened. 15 years ago, the inventions there were cutting edge and you couldn't find out a lot about them because we didn't have the resources now. Now, when even a whisper of new technology is announced the world can hear about it in a million different formats. Epcot has certainly shifted it's focus from future to discovery, but I think that fits it as well. Future is just too hard to pull off at this point.

dreamscometrue

I prefer World Showcase now with the 2 'new' countries, the updated films, today's entertainment etc. As for Future World...

Future World of old was super awesome for it's time, and leaves me with great memories, but I don't believe that Disney could attract a new generation of fans to Epcot solely with the original attractions, no matter how updated. I don't think that we can simply say that we are 'dumbing' it down for the next generation either. Many things have changed in entertainment during the past nearly 30 years because they have had to. We need change. In some cases that can be updates via refurbs, but in other cases, it means replacment. Most of the changes made to Future World during the 29 years since it opened, are ones that I'm very happy with. Even if I don't personally love some (The Seas with Nemo and Friends), I understand the rationale for doing it.

During the past 4 years, we've taken a number of teenagers to WDW, and talked to them about their likes, dislikes, etc. All love WDW because of the attractions and the intangible 'Disney Magic'. When we've had discussions about Epcot, I think I can sum the general feelings of all the young people we've taken, by quoting something my daughter said. "I love World Showcase, love Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land, but I'm glad Epcot has Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space and The Sum of All Thrills too. I wouldn't want a whole park with just animatronic ride throughs."

That's how I feel today too. Great memories of Horizons, WoM and WoL, but no problem at all with them being gone now. (I know WoL is still there, but not really.) I'd love to always have SSE, Living with the Land, and a 'fixed' UoE, but I very much enjoy the new attractions mentioned in the quote above. (Btw, 'Imagination' can go any time too. :))

I loved E.P.C.O.T. Center circa 1982, in 1982. I love Epcot circa 2011, in 2011. I would NOT love E.P.C.O.T. Center circa 1982, in 2011.

Krack

The only things I can think of is ...

1. Mission Space and The Seas are better than the original dirt that was there, but not anywhere near better than the Horizons and the Living Seas that came shortly after opening.

2. Soarin is a fun ride and probably better than Kitchen Kaberet - I just wish it were somewhere else. There was no reason to replace Kitchen Kaberet (and then Food Rocks) - I could argue this for hours.

3. I like Captain EO better than Magic Journeys.

4. I like the waterway access to the hotels (which were not there at opening).

JustInTime

Living Seas < Living Seas with Nemo

Food Rocks < Sorin'

Horizons > Mission: Space

World Showcase then < World Showcase now

Tapestry of Nations > No parade

Illuminations > . . .

World of Motion < Test Track

Figment then > Figment now

Smoking bench < Duffy... :D

Epcot has been a give and take. Most things that were better than the current attractions would be dated now. And we would be bashing Disney for replacements if they had stayed. But honesty, that park thrives on the World Showcase. Hopefully Epcot can find it's identity soon. It needs a golden age...

mrsdanalind

:wave:
It has in a way, but that is almost a necessary adjustment in today's world where the future is at your finger tips. Take something simple like the House of Innovention that just reopened. 15 years ago, the inventions there were cutting edge and you couldn't find out a lot about them because we didn't have the resources now. Now, when even a whisper of new technology is announced the world can hear about it in a million different formats. Epcot has certainly shifted it's focus from future to discovery, but I think that fits it as well. Future is just too hard to pull off at this point.

When the future is happening at the speed that it is today, it's much more practical and more advantageous to have it be a change to discovery. Man in the future will have to expand his horizions more than ever. Discovery has been hardwired into the brain. Inovention is just a part of discovery.

The Empress Lilly

I prefer World Showcase now with the 2 'new' countries, the updated films, today's entertainment etc. As for Future World...

Future World of old was super awesome for it's time, and leaves me with great memories, but I don't believe that Disney could attract a new generation of fans to Epcot solely with the original attractions, no matter how updated. I don't think that we can simply say that we are 'dumbing' it down for the next generation either. Many things have changed in entertainment during the past nearly 30 years because they have had to. We need change. In some cases that can be updates via refurbs, but in other cases, it means replacment. Most of the changes made to Future World during the 29 years since it opened, are ones that I'm very happy with. Even if I don't personally love some (The Seas with Nemo and Friends), I understand the rationale for doing it.

During the past 4 years, we've taken a number of teenagers to WDW, and talked to them about their likes, dislikes, etc. All love WDW because of the attractions and the intangible 'Disney Magic'. When we've had discussions about Epcot, I think I can sum the general feelings of all the young people we've taken, by quoting something my daughter said. "I love World Showcase, love Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land, but I'm glad Epcot has Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space and The Sum of All Thrills too. I wouldn't want a whole park with just animatronic ride throughs."

That's how I feel today too. Great memories of Horizons, WoM and WoL, but no problem at all with them being gone now. (I know WoL is still there, but not really.) I'd love to always have SSE, Living with the Land, and a 'fixed' UoE, but I very much enjoy the new attractions mentioned in the quote above. (Btw, 'Imagination' can go any time too. :))

I loved E.P.C.O.T. Center circa 1982, in 1982. I love Epcot circa 2011, in 2011. I would NOT love E.P.C.O.T. Center circa 1982, in 2011.
Well even if I would agree - and I do to some extent - I still think EPCOT 1982 was better in 1982 than Epcot 2011 is in 2011.

WS is WS, beautiful, lavish, devoid of attractions.
FW has not been treated gently. With the loss of its sense of purpose we also lost its majesty, grandness.

...or maybe that is just that jungle taking over the place, replacing the broad vistas of old, of the young park without adult vegetation.

Communicore

As the old song goes, "I wish I had a time machine, I could, make myself go back to the days when EPCOT Center was cool...."

The only thing cool about Epcot now is the food, and the awesome bear. Otherwise, time machine it is. I just got back from Epcot and I continue to be appalled at the tombstones, the disaster that is Innoventions, and the pin station with the thingies and doo-dads.

JustInTime

As the old song goes, "I wish I had a time machine, I could, make myself go back to the days when EPCOT Center was cool...."

The only thing cool about Epcot now is the food, and the awesome bear. Otherwise, time machine it is. I just got back from Epcot and I continue to be appalled at the tombstones, the disaster that is Innoventions, and the pin station with the thingies and doo-dads.

What awesome Bear?

jakeman

Actually your attitude is the worst part of these forums.
Hakuna has a point. There are at least 2 other "Disney sucks after X date" threads going on right now, yet you felt the need to create yet another one.

At least be original with your complaint thread. "I liked Epcot better in the past" has been done.

Come on Doom and Gloomers. Impress me! You guys were so much better in the past!

Where is the illogical conclusion drawn from irrelevant snippets of information? Where is the unobtainable expectations justified by overly nostalgic memories? Where is the philosophical breakdown of the shrubbery placement?

Epcot was better in the past? I could post that in my sleep!

New topic:

The choice of plant life in Future World West shows a fundamental misunderstanding and mismanagement of Disney Horticulture in bringing awareness to the future of agro-management techniques. While going for a shallow, aesthetically pleasing feel, Katy Moss Warner, Director of Disney’s Horticulture and Environmental Initiatives, has lost site of the true meaning of Epcot and should be replaced immediately.

Discuss!

forevermickey

I have a similar visitation history.. I had taken a long hiatus from WDW:(... and returned again 4 years ago... I LOVE Epcot .....but when I returned I felt a sense of loss, like the spirit was missing in Future World. But that will not keep me from going and loving it. I just look forward to what the future may bring:)

forevermickey

very well said:)

MattyFresh

New topic:

The choice of plant life in Future World West shows a fundamental misunderstanding and mismanagement of Disney Horticulture in bringing awareness to the future of agro-management techniques. While going for a shallow, aesthetically pleasing feel, Katy Moss Warner, Director of Disney’s Horticulture and Environmental Initiatives, has lost site of the true meaning of Epcot and should be replaced immediately.

Discuss!

:ROFLOL: now this is funny!!!! I am waiting to see any debate about this!! :lookaroun

wolf359

Jakeman, I love your posts! :ROFLOL:

Hakuna has a point. There are at least 2 other "Disney sucks after X date" threads going on right now, yet you felt the need to create yet another one.

At least be original with your complaint thread. "I liked Epcot better in the past" has been done.

Come on Doom and Gloomers. Impress me! You guys were so much better in the past!

Where is the illogical conclusion drawn from irrelevant snippets of information? Where is the unobtainable expectations justified by overly nostalgic memories? Where is the philosophical breakdown of the shrubbery placement?

Epcot was better in the past? I could post that in my sleep!

New topic:

Discuss!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom