Epcot Today vs. Yesterday

durhay

I think the big thing that happened over the years is that "edutainment" is much more commonplace. Being entertained while learning something isn't that unique. Back in 1982, Nova on PBS was about the only thing going for making science interesting (or Mr. Wizard if you had Nickelodeon). Documentaries on history featured professors seated in armchairs and for the "action segments" they would slowly pan over a painting of a battle. Sometimes you'd see a map with animated arrows showing the movement of armies. Picture all this and then going to EPCOT. Mind = blown.
Today, there tons of cable channels and they have bigger budgets. Actor reenactments and CG are expected in documentaries. Today, if you want to learn more about anything you can just Google it and go from there.
Because of this, Epcot is going for things you can't "duplicate" at home. Omnimover rides have been replaced by more "kinetic" ones. Sitting passively has been replaced by experiencing physical sensations. Instead of standing up and being warned not to set on the handrails, we are seated in a "hang glider". Instead of speed rooms, we are sent speeding outside the building.
I preferred EPCOT, but I understand what they're doing now. I just wish they kept Horizons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom