epcot to get a makeover- big changes rumour

General Grizz

These were plans envisioned and considered through 2001/2002/2003, but most of the Project Gemini plans have since been cancelled (thank goodness!)

Some things hold true, such as Soarin' (which we reported would be on the opposite side of the Land last summer) and the state of Wonders of Life. Spaceship Earth is endangered, but Time Racers is only the desgined post-show which still may be built.

The Land Coaster idea has been on and off, transferred into a Canada rapid ride, but that was cancelled. I hope the coaster was, too. . .

bhg469

at the time i was psyched about a canadian rapid ride. it would give me a reason to vist there since they dont serve molson triple X at hte pavilion

Hank Scorpio

I don't think it was all cancelled, I just think changed.

Living Seas, while retaining it's name has been re-themed with Finding Nemo characters. Wonders of Life is now seasonal... could be a sign that it won't be around for much longer. Time Racers, while not replacing the whole of Spaceship Earth is instead being scaled down and replacing the Global Neighbourhood. Soarin is being built, it may not be where it was originally intended, but still it is being built. The only things that doesn't seem to have been kicked off are the massive spread of tree's (which personally I would have liked to have seen as long as the right trees where used and it didn't end up like the animal kingdom) and the rainforest rollercoaster, which could have been part of this.

But who knows what the future holds?

Tenny317

I don't think trees are necessarry for the expansion of Epcot....I think it will make it look over grown and then it will lose its "futuristic" feel. Even though in the future I hope there will be trees becasue I mean they make us breath. But I just think it will be too much for SO many trees.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thank god the Gemini follow up Communicore / Innoventions demolition rumours seem to have gone away. For now.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Tenny317 said:
I don't think trees are necessarry for the expansion of Epcot....I think it will make it look over grown and then it will lose its "futuristic" feel. Even though in the future I hope there will be trees becasue I mean they make us breath. But I just think it will be too much for SO many trees.

Invisioning walkin into EPCOT and being grabbed by an animatronic tree that forces CPR on me......maybe that should have read "helps us breath" not "makes us breath".... :p :p :drevil:

General Grizz

marni1971 said:
Thank god the Gemini follow up Communicore / Innoventions demolition rumours seem to have gone away. For now.
I know this was still being considered in April, but since then, I have no clue what's going on.

To be more specific, the hugely funded "PROJECT GEMINI" was cancelled. Although a lot of "remnants" remain - and Epcot WILL change - the whole Gemini essence has been cancelled.

netenyahoo

I wish they would build the Canada raft ride. I wonder if Canda decided they didn't want to put up some money for it. It would have made the pavillion a "can't miss" attraction especially during the summer.

I think adding some more trees would be nice, but not like they were planning as it would be too much like Animal Kingdom.

If they do put in a roller coaster I hope it is an inside one. I think it could be a great addition in a new Wonders of Life pavillion. It could be a new Body Wars where you travel through the blood stream.

sabian

I Think that these guys are destroying EPCOT. They need to stick to the original plans for EPCOT. All these thrill rides suck. What ever happened to imagination, innovation, and cutting edge stories and technology? sheesh... enough with the thrill rides.

ecupiratefan72

Yeah, I always view Epcot as something different that MK. I look at Epcot as the future, a glimpse of what is to come, and what was in some ways. I want a different experience than the normal park. That being said, I think some new thrill rides may get more guests, but they should also try to keep improving other areas.

bhg469

ecupiratefan72 said:
Yeah, I always view Epcot as something different that MK. I look at Epcot as the future, a glimpse of what is to come, and what was in some ways. I want a different experience than the normal park. That being said, I think some new thrill rides may get more guests, but they should also try to keep improving other areas.

i agree with you to a point. thrill rides arent everyone's cup of tea. thats why so many people are upset about horizons. they took a ride that everyone could enjoy and seemed to love and replace it with a thrill ride that really pushes the envelope, which i love but at the cost of an amazing attraction, to me its wasnt woth it. mission space belongs in epcot but it should have been part of an expansion and not replacing something that was what epcot was all about.

General Grizz

bhg469 said:
i agree with you to a point. thrill rides arent everyone's cup of tea. thats why so many people are upset about horizons. they took a ride that everyone could enjoy and seemed to love and replace it with a thrill ride that really pushes the envelope, which i love but at the cost of an amazing attraction, to me its wasnt woth it. mission space belongs in epcot but it should have been part of an expansion and not replacing something that was what epcot was all about.
That was originally the plan. Mission Space was designed to sit next to the Living Seas/Land (and it's so small, it would fit back there), but Disney found it more economical to destroy a truly inspiring work of art.

Djali999

General Grizz said:
That was originally the plan. Mission Space was designed to sit next to the Living Seas/Land (and it's so small, it would fit back there), but Disney found it more economical to destroy a truly inspiring work of art.

I was under the impression that Horizons was sitting on top of a sinkhole and eventually collapsed under its' own weight. last I remember going on it, the ride was creaking and making all sorts of mildly theatening noises. if this is true, it probably would have ended up costing them twice the amount of money to go ahead and fix the sinkhole and then rebuild (totally or partially) Horizons on top of it.

this is how I'm always understood the Mission Space situation, although if I'm wrong I'll be gladly corrected. I'm honestly more inclined to get worked up about what ended up happening at World of Motion and Imagination, which was frankly most all politics.

Slosh

for the last time, Horizons was a condemned building, they didnt "decide to destroy an inspiring work of art" they tore it down because the safety of guests was in question. I love Epcot and Horizons as much as anyone else, but seriously, we need to just let this go already.

NeXuS1000

That's good to know :) Maybe it will stop people for complaining that much... Horizons was beautiful, yeah, but hey, maybe they'll something even more awe-inspiring in the future... you'll just never know!

General Grizz

Slosh said:
for the last time, Horizons was a condemned building, they didnt "decide to destroy an inspiring work of art" they tore it down because the safety of guests was in question. I love Epcot and Horizons as much as anyone else, but seriously, we need to just let this go already.
Every day we are coming closer to the real reason Horizons closed. . .

More sources are coming out today saying Horizons had NO strucutral damage. So far, I have heard this from two Imagineers, a manager, and building deconstructors.

This is why I am not letting Horizons go until we find out if this was or was not "sabotage". . .

(P.S. WHY after Disney called the building "unsafe" did they run the attraction for guests, Cast Members, and executives multiple times? Did they put these people at risk?? Dun, dun, duuun... )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom