epcot to get a makeover- big changes rumour

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Harsh words, Slosh. Any evidence?

We`re with you Grizz - let us all know what you find. As I posted a few weeks ago, the sinkhole and structural rumours have as many minus points as plus points.

Expo_Seeker40

I already have proof. I have a guidebook from either 1995 or 1996 that states that Horizons was expected to soon go down for either a huge makeover or entirly different attraction.

After GE dropped sponsorship of Horizons, the show and pavilion were all in the hands of the Disney corp. They could do anything they wanted to it. Disney had already complained since 1993 to General Motors to redoe the ride and build a more interesting pavilion. General Motors said "no way! :p " They had to overlook their sponsorship and evetnually renewed it in 1994, and finally agreed to take out World of Motion in 1996, but agreed that they would keep the world of motion pavilion, which we atleast still have today.

If this hole sinkhole idea is true, then why did Disney reopen Horizons in the Spring of 1996 after it was already closed for nearly a half of a year? Why? Cause Disney had nothing to offer guests in Future World East. Universe of Energy, Commincore, World of Motion, and even for a very short time Wonders of Life all were down for rehabs. That meant past spring 1996 Wonders of Life would be the only pavilion opened on that side.

So in order to get guests in, they open Horizons of from 1996-1999. Wow boy I guess they couldn't care less if their guests suddenly died when the whole Horizons pavilion would cave in did they?

Oh come on there was no sinkhole or building damage. World of Motion was over 90% on the second floor of pavilion. It's not like the engineers of Horizons never thought about stress of the building, and it's so odd to think that once 1997 came around and even after Horizons closed in 1999 when Future World Est was completed di these nonsense rumors fly around about the building and ground beneath it. Disney wanted any reason to close that ride.

They have yet to come forth with a true official statement as to why they closed the ride, let alone explain the sinkhole building stress rumor. I told already, since 1995 to 1996 Horizons was expected to close becasue they wanted to build the space pavilion over it, now that GE was out of their hands.

They wouldn't dare do that, let alone spend more money on what would have then been a heavily constructed 1995-1997 Future World East.

DarkMeasures

Expo_Seeker40 said:
I already have proof. I have a guidebook from either 1995 or 1996 that states that Horizons was expected to soon go down for either a huge makeover or entirly different attraction.

After GE dropped sponsorship of Horizons, the show and pavilion were all in the hands of the Disney corp. They could do anything they wanted to it. Disney had already complained since 1993 to General Motors to redoe the ride and build a more interesting pavilion. General Motors said "no way! :p " They had to overlook their sponsorship and evetnually renewed it in 1994, and finally agreed to take out World of Motion in 1996, but agreed that they would keep the world of motion pavilion, which we atleast still have today.

If this hole sinkhole idea is true, then why did Disney reopen Horizons in the Spring of 1996 after it was already closed for nearly a half of a year? Why? Cause Disney had nothing to offer guests in Future World East. Universe of Energy, Commincore, World of Motion, and even for a very short time Wonders of Life all were down for rehabs. That meant past spring 1996 Wonders of Life would be the only pavilion opened on that side.

So in order to get guests in, they open Horizons of from 1996-1999. Wow boy I guess they couldn't care less if their guests suddenly died when the whole Horizons pavilion would cave in did they?

Oh come on there was no sinkhole or building damage. World of Motion was over 90% on the second floor of pavilion. It's not like the engineers of Horizons never thought about stress of the building, and it's so odd to think that once 1997 came around and even after Horizons closed in 1999 when Future World Est was completed di these nonsense rumors fly around about the building and ground beneath it. Disney wanted any reason to close that ride.

They have yet to come forth with a true official statement as to why they closed the ride, let alone explain the sinkhole building stress rumor. I told already, since 1995 to 1996 Horizons was expected to close becasue they wanted to build the space pavilion over it, now that GE was out of their hands.

They wouldn't dare do that, let alone spend more money on what would have then been a heavily constructed 1995-1997 Future World East.

Actually, from what I understand any stress created from Horizons would have been towards the ride track itself. WoM, the track sits nicely above the superstructure (both rides), so there isn't really much stress on it. Even so, the Test Track cars place less stress than an omnimover would.

For Horizons, the cars are suspended, and well, since the track has to deal with being pulled down by the cars constantly, this might be so. But then again, it could have been a hoax that management set up much like what heppened to 20k.

Nonetheles. I believe that something new is better than keeping the same attraction for 20 years, especially since that half of Epcot is called FutureWorld. Yeah, the attractions today may not seem to have heart but still, most people here seem to be afraid of the smallest change. Look how many people are complaining because The Land is getting a new ride. (which replaced a show that had no heart at all and tried to cram a message down your throat which would actually be the equivalent of eating a baseball bat whole).

But, hey Disney will change over time and so will management. You will have the times with bad rides and then you will have the times with true classics. It all goes down to management. You should, however not cry and whine about a ride that left and pray everyday for it it return. You should instead, hope for a new attraction that will be a worthy replacement and still enjoy it if it got rid of something you love.

The problems with TestTrack/MissionSpace/Soarin can all be fixed with proper imagination and support from upper management.

Of course, there is one ride at Future World that should never be replaced, that would be Spaceship Earth. Currently, I see high hopes for this attraction that was almost doomed from Project Gemini. (I highly supported this project because it would have modernized Futureworld even with several bad idea.)

I say, though that if anything were to act as a new Horizons, the CoP should be brought and expanded into Futureworld with a scene for every 20 years. When it originally opened, it was like that, why can't it return to that. (isn't this year the ride's 40th anniversary?).

Donfan

If, as Expo Seeker suggests, it was because they lost GE's sponsorship, then we're right back to pretty much the same reason for closing most of the pavillions and rides: Economics. They wanted to build a new attraction that someone else was willing to sponsor.

DarkMeasures

Donfan said:
If, as Expo Seeker suggests, it was because they lost GE's sponsorship, then we're right back to pretty much the same reason for closing most of the pavillions and rides: Economics. They wanted to build a new attraction that someone else was willing to sponsor.

I also support that arguement.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I have read in several reply's about safety etc. I just have one comment and request. If I die at Disney World, I will die a happy man, reguardless of the cause of death. My request is, bury me somewhere on property..... :wave: :wave:

P.S. can someone give a brief overview of what this project gemini is I see referenced? If there is a discussion thread (old or new) let me know and I will search for it.....

General Grizz

hakunamatata said:
I have read in several reply's about safety etc. I just have one comment and request. If I die at Disney World, I will die a happy man, reguardless of the cause of death. My request is, bury me somewhere on property..... :wave: :wave:

P.S. can someone give a brief overview of what this project gemini is I see referenced? If there is a discussion thread (old or new) let me know and I will search for it.....
I think Horizons would have been one of the all-time best places to die in. Thanks for the thought, hakuna . . . :lol:

Do search for "GEMINI" in the search feature. Expect hundreds of results. :D

DarkMeasures

hakunamatata said:

I would like to die that way too, or be mobbed by an army of super-squirrels... or killed by the Hulk.......

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
General Grizz said:
I think Horizons would have been one of the all-time best places to die in. Thanks for the thought, hakuna . . . :lol:

Do search for "GEMINI" in the search feature. Expect hundreds of results. :D

Thanks General G for the info. I will definately do it :sohappy: :sohappy:

Main Street USA

Yeah, that map is SUPER old as far as Disney Rumors go, and the rumor of most of that happening is LONG gone.

For those of you complaining about the trees in the plan, and that it would make Future World less "futuristic," that was the idea. The new name for Future World was to be Discoveryland, and the furure theme would disappear, making it easier for them to keep up with the times.

As far as Horizons goes....the sinkhole thing is about as false as they come. That attraction was closed for completely different reasons altogether.

Slosh...he he...you shouldn't really read something off of the internet, consider it as fact, and then go around acting like you're the guy who found a sinkhole under the building. Ease up there, partner.

DarkMeasures

Main Street USA said:
Yeah, that map is SUPER old as far as Disney Rumors go, and the rumor of most of that happening is LONG gone.

For those of you complaining about the trees in the plan, and that it would make Future World less "futuristic," that was the idea. The new name for Future World was to be Discoveryland, and the furure theme would disappear, making it easier for them to keep up with the times.

Actually, when I envision the future, I see cities that are enveloped in beautiful trees and plants. A green future is the way to go, the corporate 80's concrete is no longer a vision of the future for many people so it would actually be more fitting to name Future World "Discoverland" (an Idea I absolutly hate) right now then if it were to have many new trees added.

Plus, the Jules Verne theme has been to heavily played on in the previous years with Disney. There are many other concepts of the future. If anything, Arthur C. Clarke should design a pavilian with Disney before he dies.

dismedic

After reading mutiple post about differant rides , Pavilions closing I truly believe some people just can not accept changes, Do not get me wrong I love WDW just the way it is and I do enjoy the "old" stuff that is why I partially go back but progress is what keeps the crowds coming , the need to see something new and soemthiing old , unfortunatly "old" things are sometimes removed to make way for something new. Economics drives the entertainment buisness and that is what Disney is now.

Walts dream is still there, it still brings a smile and a tear to those that visit the parks, Give the Horizons issue a rest it is gone now only to live in our memories, Now we move on to something new>

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I still think the answer would be a Disney Retro Park. A place where all the old rides go. Yes, it would cost money to build and maintain, so I guess its probably out of the question under current circumstances.... :drevil:

CPwonderKid

dismedic said:
After reading mutiple post about differant rides , Pavilions closing I truly believe some people just can not accept changes, Do not get me wrong I love WDW just the way it is and I do enjoy the "old" stuff that is why I partially go back but progress is what keeps the crowds coming , the need to see something new and soemthiing old , unfortunatly "old" things are sometimes removed to make way for something new. Economics drives the entertainment buisness and that is what Disney is now.

Walts dream is still there, it still brings a smile and a tear to those that visit the parks, Give the Horizons issue a rest it is gone now only to live in our memories, Now we move on to something new>
well put...
(raises glass) To Walt's Dream! "A world where Fantasy is Real and Reality is Fantastic!"

horizonsboy

dismedic said:
After reading mutiple post about differant rides , Pavilions closing I truly believe some people just can not accept changes, Do not get me wrong I love WDW just the way it is and I do enjoy the "old" stuff that is why I partially go back but progress is what keeps the crowds coming , the need to see something new and soemthiing old , unfortunatly "old" things are sometimes removed to make way for something new.
Well somebody should build a park for all of the lost WDW Theme Park Rides. Come on there should at least be a place where the kids who weren't lucky enough to ride Walt Disney's dream (a.k.a.: his rides from Disneyland that were duplicated or built to a highter potential).

DopeyJas2004

Slosh said:
for the last time, Horizons was a condemned building, they didnt "decide to destroy an inspiring work of art" they tore it down because the safety of guests was in question. I love Epcot and Horizons as much as anyone else, but seriously, we need to just let this go already.

The one thing about these boards I don't understand is why people have to be so harsh. We are having a discussion about Epcot and construction, changes, etc. OF COURSE HORIZONS is gonna come up. But why is that such a horrible thing, it's part of history, especially since there is still mystery surround certain aspects of it so if you don't like it..... DON'T READ IT! I don't want to be harsh or rude myself but I don't know why people aren't allowed to share their feelings about particular attractions. Sorry for the rant but I for one also miss HORIZONS!! and I will gladly listen to grizz or any of you guys start 5 million new threads about it. :wave: :sohappy: :D :lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DopeyJas2004 said:
The one thing about these boards I don't understand is why people have to be so harsh. We are having a discussion about Epcot and construction, changes, etc. OF COURSE HORIZONS is gonna come up. But why is that such a horrible thing, it's part of history, especially since there is still mystery surround certain aspects of it so if you don't like it..... DON'T READ IT! I don't want to be harsh or rude myself but I don't know why people aren't allowed to share their feelings about particular attractions. Sorry for the rant but I for one also miss HORIZONS!! and I will gladly listen to grizz or any of you guys start 5 million new threads about it. :wave: :sohappy: :D :lookaroun

Now THAT was well put.

WDWFan26

Tenny317 said:
I don't think trees are necessarry for the expansion of Epcot....I think it will make it look over grown and then it will lose its "futuristic" feel. Even though in the future I hope there will be trees becasue I mean they make us breath. But I just think it will be too much for SO many trees.

"This is the first I've heard of this trees breathing thing. Every biology class I took said it was some thing called the lungs that make us breathe. I'm gonna have to pass this on to the entire medical science world.", he said with a feigned seriousness on his face that soon gave way to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But in all seriousness, I don't know if I can picture Epcot with all those trees. I'm so used to it the way it's been.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom