epcot to get a makeover- big changes rumour

Lynx04

To me, with all those trees it looks as if AK with EPCOT. It seems out of place because it is a strong contrast to what we have now. I don't know if it would look better or worse in person cause it is extemely different then the wide open future world we have today.

DarkMeasures

I would say covering Future World with plant life would be the greatest thing done right now. The humidity would be unbearible but it would be pretty awsome with futuristic buildings placed in a tropical paradise. Plus, if other features like waterfalls and such are added, Epcot could be more relaxing than it is now. And the crowds would remain hidden.

I do however, want the Innoventions buildings to be left basically the same (upgraded looks and major inside changes are OK but major exterior changes are not). Most of the 80's concrete buildings can easily be modernized with miminal strucure work and of that can be done if Frank Ghery were to design or redesign a pavilian would be godly.

I do not like the idea of changing Future World to Discoveryland though. Though Future World does have discovery, it would lead to the fact that Imagineers have given up with the concept. A ride can remain to date easily and not age. The Living Seas is a good example. Even though it has lost popularity until a new overlay was added, the pavilian remained futuristic and seemed up-to-date. A bad example would be Wonders of Life. This pavilian, carries a distinct late 80's feel and to make it perfect, it would need Bill and Ted.

Mission Space and Test Track also will probably remain modern. Missionspace has an easy to update ride-system while Test Track will not face any problems unless car testing drastically changes in the next few decades. My biggest worry on both would be the preshow video.

Of course everyone knows that updating a pavilian has its problems. Today's ride systems run now over 100 million dollars. Wasn't Epcot built for 900 million? Another problem is Imagineering now having a budget. This however should not stop new pavilians being good even if it does not seem as emersive and good as previous pavilians. People's complaints with Mission Space and Test Track can be easily solved and I have pointed out easily solutions many times.

Imagination, however, is a mess. A big mess. If I had a choice, I would have Kodak pay for a huge renovation or drop all sponsorship from them at WDW and have another film company sponsor instead like Fujifilm. Anything else though would be better than the current Imagination pavilian. May I even say replacing it with a new pavilian? That would be too hard to tell and that would probably really upset Figment fans.

Back on Testtrack, I did like those Autopia like plans for the pavilian. Though it wouldn't make sense at least it could deal with the two thrill rides taking residence on the half of FutureWorld. I guess that is what the Rainforest coaster would have done on the other side of the park.

wdwjmp239

DarkMeasures said:
Of course everyone knows that updating a pavilian has its problems. Today's ride systems run now over 100 million dollars. Wasn't Epcot built for 900 million? .......

That's the cost of technology for you. Imagine how much Epcot would be today if they built it using today's technology! If it cost $900 milliion 20+ yrs ago when they built it, it might cost close to $2 billion to build it today!

But, I also think that Epcot would be designed around the "thrill-ride" theme if it was to be built from the ground-up today.

Also, the cost of admission tickets would probably go through the roof! :eek: :eek:

Djali999

Well. The other thing to consider is that aside from the "moving theater" in Universe of Energy and the simulator in Body Wars, the original version of Epcot relied on very time-tested attraction technology, mostly Omni-Movers and water rides. A lot of the impact of these attractions was the bold design and effective message, and a lot of the effect of the park itself was in its' wide open spaces and rolling lawns. All of these still work.

Why Epcot would be impossible to build today is that Disney would insist on building some kind of rediculous, brand new ride system that would, effectivley, be the ride itself (Soarin', anyone? Mission: Space? Test Track?). I think those rides are all fine and fun (Soarin' is pretty stirring and amazing), but you have to admit that even in high-profile D-Ticket attractions like Winnie the Pooh, we're applying these absurdly elaborate ride systems where something much simpler will do.

rant over..

Yen_Sid1

Djali999 said:
Well. The other thing to consider is that aside from the "moving theater" in Universe of Energy and the simulator in Body Wars, the original version of Epcot relied on very time-tested attraction technology, mostly Omni-Movers and water rides. A lot of the impact of these attractions was the bold design and effective message, and a lot of the effect of the park itself was in its' wide open spaces and rolling lawns. All of these still work.

Why Epcot would be impossible to build today is that Disney would insist on building some kind of rediculous, brand new ride system that would, effectivley, be the ride itself (Soarin', anyone? Mission: Space? Test Track?). I think those rides are all fine and fun (Soarin' is pretty stirring and amazing), but you have to admit that even in high-profile D-Ticket attractions like Winnie the Pooh, we're applying these absurdly elaborate ride systems where something much simpler will do.

rant over..

Most WDI designed rides are more elaborate than you think. Because they are also designed to be safe and reliable. The few off-the-shelf rides are a different story.

Djali999

I'm not saying that they are not elaborate. nor am I saying that they are badly themed. nor am I saying they are badly designed. This is WDI's hallmark and remains so to this day. But you have to admit that the mode of transport has become increasingly important for WDI, and I do believe that in many recent cases the ride system has become the attraction. Test Track wasn't delayed for years because they couldn't find enough cans of spray paint to fill the metal shelves in the crash test room. Malestrom wasn't delayed because they couldn't find a tall enough polar bear.

this is why Philharmagic and, potentially, Stitch Escape excite me so much. they have staying power.

Glasgow

Some people seem to want their cake and eat it too (hmmm ...cake). Epcot is all about progress and the future and such, so how can it evolve without putting in new, more advanced attractions? They can't just keep expanding - it is too expensive to maintain all of the older rides, so at some point you need to just replace some old ones. You gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

Having said that, I wish Horizons was still around because that was a fantastic attraction. But .. and this is a big but (lol) .. hopefully the new replacement rides are better in the future and pay sufficient homage to the ones they are replacing, and if not when they are built, sometime in the future when they are updated.
:)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even EPCOTs `tried and tested` ride systems can be cutting edge in their field - The original Imagination Omnimover (sorry, George) was about as far as the Omni concept could be pushed - hence the problems with it, and *possibly* a contributing factor in its removal. Horizons sideways Omni was unique (and may have contributed to its own premature demise) and today SSE`s Omni is showing its age a little - wasn`t this the longest Omni ever built? And then run uphill, flat, in circles and at 45 degree angles?
Oh, do remember Bodywars wasn`t an EPCOT original. Neither in opening date nor WDI technology. As good as it is. Was. ARRGGHH! GRIZZ!

General Grizz

marni1971 said:
Even EPCOTs `tried and tested` ride systems can be cutting edge in their field - The original Imagination Omnimover (sorry, George) was about as far as the Omni concept could be pushed - hence the problems with it, and *possibly* a contributing factor in its removal. Horizons sideways Omni was unique (and may have contributed to its own premature demise) and today SSE`s Omni is showing its age a little - wasn`t this the longest Omni ever built? And then run uphill, flat, in circles and at 45 degree angles?
Oh, do remember Bodywars wasn`t an EPCOT original. Neither in opening date nor WDI technology. As good as it is. Was. ARRGGHH! GRIZZ!
You miss Body Wars. . . I'll take care of Cranium Command. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom