Epcot Lighting Rumor

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
Has anyone other than me heard of a new lighting system that Epcot might be using on Spaceship Earth? If i remember what I was told, it will be very hightech, and might produce images onto SE, and might even look like a globe that is actually spinning.

Anyway - am i crazy and dreaming this, or can anyone back me up?

It sounds great, for the time being that is.

SirNim

I believe it's a projection system. They've already tested it extensively - beginning July 4th of this past year. There are some images on the WDWMagic main site.

As far as the spinning globe, I'm not sure if this new system is capable of doing it. It might be.

jazcatsnh

Actually throughout the Holidays they have been using it to say Happy Holidays/Seasons Greatings etc. in the languages of the World Showcase. They project them on the ball when Illuminations is over.

peter11435

jazcatsnh said:
Actually throughout the Holidays they have been using it to say Happy Holidays/Seasons Greatings etc. in the languages of the World Showcase. They project them on the ball when Illuminations is over.
I think that was done with the lasers, not this new system.

raven

mkepcotmgmak said:
Has anyone other than me heard of a new lighting system that Epcot might be using on Spaceship Earth? If i remember what I was told, it will be very hightech, and might produce images onto SE, and might even look like a globe that is actually spinning.

Anyway - am i crazy and dreaming this, or can anyone back me up?

It sounds great, for the time being that is.

Hey Joshy!

I heard about this too but havent seen anything on it lately. As a theatrical lighting designer, I would love to see something like that!

MonoRon

It would look nice walking back through the park at ROE and seeing differect projections on SE. I hope it starts soon.

niteobsrvr

I am assuming that there were projections on SSE this past week. I was on Vacation and thus did not get a chance to see them. (When you live in Florida and go on Vacation at XMAS, the best direction to go is out of state).

The projection system itself is nothing earth shattering. Just several high end theatre quality digital video projectors aimed at the surface with video playing.

Montu

niteobsrvr said:
I am assuming that there were projections on SSE this past week. I was on Vacation and thus did not get a chance to see them. (When you live in Florida and go on Vacation at XMAS, the best direction to go is out of state).

The projection system itself is nothing earth shattering. Just several high end theatre quality digital video projectors aimed at the surface with video playing.

There was not projection on SSE after Illuminations for the Holidays. They did use some very, very poor laser writing on it. It really looked bad -- groundbreaking in the 80s, but it's not the 80s anymore!

peter11435

Montu said:
There was not projection on SSE after Illuminations for the Holidays. They did use some very, very poor laser writing on it. It really looked bad -- groundbreaking in the 80s, but it's not the 80s anymore!
Your like "Mr. Pleasant" in every thread.

BwanaBob

Montu said:
Not bad considering the laser is being shot from the American Pavillion!

Looked great last night during the New Years celebration...but yes, a little 80's era-ish.

Disney_CP_2004

when i was down there from May to October...they projected onto SSE quite a few times.......for the few days before 4th of july and a few days after they would project an image of the american flag on World Showcase side.......they also did this for 9/11 and when Regan passed....

and then i think like some random nights they would project randoms images of like different cultures onto SSE........it doesnt give the image that SSE is spinning though.......it looks like a big projection screen....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think some people are getting a bit confused. There are 2 systems that have been used:

1. The laser booth in the American Adventure can deliver laser based graphics to the side of SSE facing World Showcase Lagoon. These graphics are relatively simple line drawings or text. This is the same effect that was used nightly at the end of the old IllumiNations show before it was cut due to cost savings.

2. The new projection system that has been used around July 4 and other select times was a photo-realistic, full color system. Seemed to be based around a high-output conventional light projector, rather than laser based.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
BwanaBob said:
Not bad considering the laser is being shot from the American Pavillion!

Looked great last night during the New Years celebration...but yes, a little 80's era-ish.
I agree, its definately a nice touch, I wish it had stayed on since the old IllumiNations! :)

TheOneVader

I personally liked the lasers. And about the spinning Earth, you were probably thinking about what they used to do after IllumiNations. They would project a spinning earth on SSE via the lasers in the American Adventure.

Epcot82Guy

Actually, this rumor is different than the old one. The new projection system was claimed originally for projecting a "spinning globe" pattern on SSE. I think the images we have seen are only a test run, and the real capabilities are being saved. Just my humble opinion is that it may be announced for the 25th of Epcot (2007), since that is only 2 years away now. (We could only hope the wand would come down then too).

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
raven said:
Hey Joshy!

I heard about this too but havent seen anything on it lately. As a theatrical lighting designer, I would love to see something like that!

Hey Scott! Are you ever on AIM anymore?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom