EPCOT Geodesic Dome

cdunbar

Win-Cookie.jpg

I only have one "smarty-pants of the day" award. How will I ever decide which of you to give it to?
I love this!:ROFLOL:

Your attitude is not smarty-pantsish enough to get a cookie. Try harder.
:lol::ROFLOL:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
You would think that with as much land and storage potential as Disney has they wouls save icons like this. I know some people don't like it but they could have reused it in 2025:)
When they dismantled the ugly structure, they had to cut it with torches. It would have cost 20 times the amount it did to dismantle it for preservation. It would cost less to do what they did and just rebuild the thing, hypothetically thanks God, in 2025.

It is not an icon to Disney. Only fans. It is a costly piece of steal to them.... covered in tacky sequins.

PalisadesPkteer

Humm,

Sequins...

Maybe Disney was trying to bring back Disco! LOL

Hey, don't get me wrong. I graduated high school in 1977 so I do like Disco music. Just that it had its time and now ..

WE GO ON! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

yensid67

Hey guys,

We went to EPCOT yesterday and I noticed that the big EPCOT logo with the mickey wand is now gone... Why is this? Because I really liked that.

Tristan

Tristan,
To clarify a little more from the first couple of posts...
The wand was errected for the Millinium Celebration of 2000! It had a great big '2000' on top of Spaceship Earth. While it was themed for the year 200 Millinium Celebration, the '2000' was removed and the word 'EPCOT' was added and the complaints kept rolling in! A few years ago, the Mickey hand, wand and 'EPCOT' was removed and Spaceship Earth was made to look in its original glory, and you could hear the happy sighs all over the lands! After the wand, Mickey hand, and 'EPCOT' was removed it now rests in an undisclosed area of the property where all the 'dead' iconic symbols go to, the graveyard! I saw a picture of the graveyard and could hardly recognize the wand or anything related!
Now, to the infamous Sorcerers Hat in DHS! I will agree that it is an eyesore. I liked looking down the street from the entrance and seeing the theatre at the end! BUT THAT HAT HAS GOT TO GO! I think it totally ruins the park Icon, the TRUE park icon of DHS...Grumans Chinese Theatre!
IfI can be of any other help with advice or information, please email me at the email below!

Have a Magical Day!

Will

ChrisFL

Premium Member
From some angles, including just to the left of SSE near the restrooms and near Universe of Energy, the wand looked absolutely hideous, because it was just a steel structure.

It was not made AT ALL with proper Disney effort, since it was only supposed to last 1 year, it wouldn't have been a big issue (Disney makes mistakes sometimes, like the pepto bismol castle for the 25th), but like a pesky mother-in-law it overstayed its welcome and very quickly turned things sour.

Spaceship Earth is an icon of modern engineering, if you like the wand so much there, would you enjoy it next to Cinderella Castle? How about the Tree of Life?

steener618

Tristan,
To clarify a little more from the first couple of posts...
The wand was errected for the Millinium Celebration of 2000! It had a great big '2000' on top of Spaceship Earth. While it was themed for the year 200 Millinium Celebration, the '2000' was removed and the word 'EPCOT' was added and the complaints kept rolling in! A few years ago, the Mickey hand, wand and 'EPCOT' was removed and Spaceship Earth was made to look in its original glory, and you could hear the happy sighs all over the lands! After the wand, Mickey hand, and 'EPCOT' was removed it now rests in an undisclosed area of the property where all the 'dead' iconic symbols go to, the graveyard! I saw a picture of the graveyard and could hardly recognize the wand or anything related!
Now, to the infamous Sorcerers Hat in DHS! I will agree that it is an eyesore. I liked looking down the street from the entrance and seeing the theatre at the end! BUT THAT HAT HAS GOT TO GO! I think it totally ruins the park Icon, the TRUE park icon of DHS...Grumans Chinese Theatre!
IfI can be of any other help with advice or information, please email me at the email below!

Have a Magical Day!

Will

Actually, the original DHS park icon was the Earful Tower.

Thrill Seeker

Man I wish I could have watched the wand come down... I hated that thing since 2000 when it had somewhat of a purpose. Now Spaceship Earth is back to it's good ol' self without the stupid wand on top. I do hope the same becomes of the DHS hat. It even looks like a temporary structure and needs to go asap. Then again, when does anything that is temporary actually leave at Disney? *cough* Toontown Fair *cough*

Future Guy

Are you kidding. They gave him A BAT CREDIT CARD??????????

[Nostalgia Critic]A BAT CREDIT CARD??? They gave one of the greatest heroes of all time a BAT CREDIT CARD?!? Noooo!!! Noooo!!! DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE! Rape my childhood, will you?! AAAAAA![/Nostalgia Critic]

devoy1701

You would think that with as much land and storage potential as Disney has they wouls save icons like this. I know some people don't like it but they could have reused it in 2025:)

Icon is such a strong word and it should definitely be used with care...

HMF

[Nostalgia Critic]A BAT CREDIT CARD??? They gave one of the greatest heroes of all time a BAT CREDIT CARD?!? Noooo!!! Noooo!!! DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE! Rape my childhood, will you?! AAAAAA![/Nostalgia Critic]
Seven hours later.

mastif

Icon is such a strong word and it should definitely be used with care...

agreed, is such a strong word. Don't think the wand was popular enough to save, not to mention it would be much more costly for them to take in apart in pieces to save it. Did you see that youtube video? the just tore it apart and through it in a huge pile left to rot :lol:

wonder why they don't scrap it and get a little money from it?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
agreed, is such a strong word. Don't think the wand was popular enough to save, not to mention it would be much more costly for them to take in apart in pieces to save it. Did you see that youtube video? the just tore it apart and through it in a huge pile left to rot :lol:

wonder why they don't scrap it and get a little money from it?
They did. The dumping ground shown in the youtube video was a temporary one used during the demolition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom