News Epcot Forever to debut as interim show before full Reflections of Earth replacement

Cmdr_Crimson

Meanwhile at Disneyland

DCA's Oogie Boogie Bash (which started this year) is already making MNSSHP look even embarassing. Especially with the new addition of "Villains Grove" where they transformed a section of DCA into a different atmosphere at night taken over by Disney Villains (and the Cheshire Cat) But guests at DL are already loving it because of how well executed it was.

Unfortunatley TDO doesn't want to cough up the idea of tossing a halloween party for the adult crowds at DHS...It's waaaay out of their league..

brb1006

Unfortunatley TDO doesn't want to cough up the idea of tossing a halloween party for the adult crowds at DHS...It's waaaay out of their league..
Looks like we will have to deal with another couple of years of "Boo To You" (Seriously that parade deserves a replacement) at WDW. It's a shame, because Villain's Grove (and Oogie Boogie Bash in general) is Disney's second attempt at aiming for the older crowd for the Halloween Season. Unless you count Hong Kong Disneyland's style of celebrating Halloween where they actually have scare zones. It's bascially Disney's answer to Universal's Halloween Horror Nights minus the intensity and gore.

Donaldfan1934

This wasn't fan service, this was an attack to our intelligence and a deep lack of understanding of what EPCOT Center was. If this was fan service, it was done by someone that wasn't a fan.
Well, then I don’t know what else to call a compilation of mostly songs that only major EPCOT Center fans would have a strong attachment to or even know the origin of. You may not have thought it was good fan service, but that was objectively the intent with this show.

Figments Friend

Back at my Resort, and can give a bit more of a review from seeing it firsthand in the Park tonight.

Epcot was nice crowd wise....not too crazy.
Lots of Epcot fans in the Park.
My boy Tony Baxter was here today, too, checking out the new displays in the former Odyssey.

I viewed the 'Epcot Forever' Show from Japan, so I am interested in seeing it from 'front of house' as I know I missed some of the intended laser effects.

New pre-show music I liked.
Wasn't too enthused with the childlike pre-show announcements / introduction.
As mentioned in my prior post, the crowd around the lagoon cheered when the former 'Illuminations' torches lit up.
That was a nice surprise, as my understanding was that they were not to be used again.

Show started off promising.
The opening created anticipation for what was to come...or to least hoped to be coming.

Hearing Uncle Walt's voice echo through Epcot was in a way nice, but also slightly out of place in some respects since his vision of Epcot never came to be.
But for nostalgia purposes, which this Show was giving the fan service impression of, it kinda fit in there as a throwback.
After all, Walt's version may have never been built as he envisioned but it led to the EPCOT Center we all knew and loved.

Next came a selection of Pavilion theme songs with mixed pyro and a few references to other background music Epcot fans would know.
Then the lighted kites arrived and they received a good reaction from the audience.
A few more pavilion songs, and then multiple 'stacked' kites flew with both color changing lights and sparkling pyro.
Quite nice to see in person.

During the first kite segment, I saw one of them hit the lagoon unlit as if it had broken loose.
Hit the water right in front of the section I was standing in.
It was probably just the way the single kites are let go as the jet skit driver need to grab the tiered kite rig for the next segment.
Speaking of those tiered kits....one of them was unfortunately not lighting up among the others.

The Show continues along, and as mentioned previously the biggest crowd reaction was to references to 'Veggie Veggie, Fruit Fruit' and the Millennium Celebration melodies.
The 'cha cha cha!' In particular received a huge response.

Things seem to be building up to a climax....and we hear Uncle Walt again say some inspiring words related to 'his' EPCOT.
The stage is set for something inspiring to happen....to get us excited about the upcoming 'future for Epcot'....and we, the audience, are hanging there.....ready for it.

And then....
We are given 'a whole new world'.
Indeed.
'A Whole New World' from 'Aladdin'.

Yeah....okay.
Uh huh.

It is hard to describe in words the effect that segment had on the audience.
Prior to this, the crowd in my section was enjoying it.
You could hear their reactions clearly, and they were enjoying the nostalgia trip.
'A Whole New World' ?
Nearly silence where I was.
The once spirited reactions went quiet.
It was VERY noticeable where I was standing.

Then, a conglomerate of pyro was all shot off at once and it was over.

I had mixed feelings.
Enjoyed the first half, as it was a nostalgia show for us EPCOT Center fans.
Didn't care for the end as it left the subliminal message that the 'future of Epcot' is 'more Disney IP intergration' which just killed the mood of the Show.
I wasn't alone , as post-show lots a people were talking about it.

I do have to wonder what your typical day Guest or international visitor will react to a Show like this.
For those with no past connection to those Pavilion songs, this must be a confusing presentation for them.
Add into the mix of 'no characters' and no recognizable music ( the exception being the finale song ) I can't see this being popular.
I honestly think once word gets out, folks will skip Epcot's night spectacle offering and go over to another Park to see the better Shows.

Of course I realize 'Epcot Forever' is meant to be a temporary Show and I don't think anyone was expecting anything ground breaking or utterly amazing...but THAT my friends ended on a slight sour note.

I will add this -
The new merchandise line released today to coincide with tonight's opening performance looked great.
Rather misleading however, in hindsight.
But we already are all aware of where the priorities are.

Enjoyable evening, and I am glad to have seen it tonight in the Park with the crowd, but mixed feelings.

-

Last edited:

sedati

Watched the live stream. I was excited as someone who's prized souvenir from my first trip to EPCOT Center in 1983 was the album. Still remains as my favorite walking around music. I thought this show would be for me.
This show was not for me, at least audibly.
I didn't like it, and have said so here, publicly. If you did like it, good. I will not respond to any and all positive reviews by reiterating my negative one.

Gringrinngghost

So, Whilst my video is processing on Youtube, here's my take of Epcot Forever in one following sentence.

It's an bona fide epitaph.

The show relies heavily on children singers, which seems to me that they are trying to appeal to those who have come to the park as children to kindle their memories of past attractions, when it would have been much stronger if the actual songs were used and not re-recorded. But I didn't have high hopes for the show given it's 8 months to one year length. But the show is what I said in my one sentence, an epitaph. EPCOT just like Tomorrowland was an unsustainable concept, with the ever evolving and at times rapidly evolving technologies. Disney wants to play it safe while they tear the soul of Epcot out of Epcot. While it's in a way smart to bring IP into certain messages (Seas with Nemo and Friends) they need to be careful how they want to integrate the IP to the park.

A note as well from the Experience center. Out of all the photo ops, only one had a line and that was the Non-IP one, so go figure that one out.

Dizknee_Phreek

So I stayed home tonight to watch the live stream...on purpose and not out of laziness. I knew I'd have to have a good yell about it with quite a few not disney park appropriate words sprinkled in. Not only was I completely right in my own reactions, but I noticed on the live stream even the crowd seemed...meh. Though I did cheer with the rest when the torches were rekindled. Got chills and everything.

My opinions on the show, for what they're worth having only seen the recording and for knowing the Epcot music from my dad but having grown up with only vague memories of Imagination and Food Rocks rather than Kitchen Kabaret:

1)I do not appreciate at all the "innocent childrens voices" singing songs they weren't even alive to know...songs their parents may not have been alive to know. It's not the endearing "let there be peace on earth" or even "wishes" children's voices it's just bad...it's made me territorial of my own past and my own ****ty child singing voice singing along with my dads unending disney soundtracks. like who are you to come in here and quote this to me ya little brat, you think Nigel Channing invented Figment

2) It felt so jumbled and disjointed. They got stuck between going chronologically and having any sort of flow at all. It also seemed really weird that each song was like...15 seconds. "here's a blip from magic journeys...aaand now it's gone" I expected it to be more like a tribute and less like someone clicking through the Epcot parks album on random trying to find a song they liked

3) WHO IN THE WORLD PUT THAT IP CRAP IN OUR TRIBUTE this was teased to us as a tender and loving celebration of all Epcot was...and it just feels so much like "ohhh you miss this? well don't worry here's SOME DISNEY PRINCESS MUSIC TO REMIND YOU OF WHAT'S COMING" Like I get the message, but we have so SO many Epcot Original songs that could fit there...Tomorrow's Child, Promise, Celebrate the Future, I mean cmon. You could've told the story much better with a song made for Epcot...hell you could've actually composed something instead of just cobbling together a rehash of everything you already had.

I'm sure I'll drop in eventually to see it in person, if only to have that moment of chills when those torches light. I was there yesterday and stayed to watch them blow out...hoo...not the point ANYWAY I'll see it eventually, and I'll likely see The Glorious Tribute to All Nations but Mostly Our Movies at some point too...I just wish something at Disney told an original story again...not just a regurgitation of everything they've ever sold in the hopes that something sticks and people buy the new tee shirt.

Omg this! Literally everything you just said is exactly how I feel! Only difference is I do remember 99% of the songs played from going to the parks in the early 90s.
After reading people's reactions, I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling confused and disappointed. I didn't expect it to be as spectacular as ROE. But I did expect it to make losing ROE a little more bearable. Instead, it made it so much worse.
Also... completely disliked the kids talking/singing. Ugh.
Having Dreamfinder as a host would have been so amazing. I was so hopeful for this show 😔

note2001

I've watched 3 livestreams of last night's showing and while I've been trying to get into it, my reaction isn't getting better, it's all in the music for me. Nothing really to wow us there, even watching the old show I was always wowed by the music.

The add in of a nod to Illuminations feels like a shot to the heart.

Donaldfan1934

OK, so prefacing this with the fact I am a deep fan of classic EPCOT music - listen to the 1982 Entrance Area Music about once a week, can listen to the original souvenir album on repeat - owned it on cassette and would in the back seat of the car on headphones as a kid...

This felt meaningless. And I think it was because it was a nostalgia driven clip show for which the intended audience is swiftly shrinking. If you hadn't ridden most of the classic future world attractions, you'd have been lost. Even if you had - you could still get really lost.

It's not very hard for nostalgia to fall flat in this case, either. Horizons died 20 years ago. World of Motion died 23 years ago. Kitchen Kabaret died 25 years ago. There are parents who weren't alive when "Veggie Veggie, Fruit Fruit" echoed through the Land pavilion now bringing their young kids to EPCOT. Hell, Magic Journeys - and thereby Makin' Memories - ended it's original run before I turned 1 year old. I know Makin' Memories more from my repeated listening of the soundtrack album than from seeing the film when it ran again in MK.

This was destined to fail. And frankly - maybe it should. Old EPCOT didn't die when they put the walls up a few weeks ago or drained the Fountain of Nations. It's been gone for decades. This show is nostalgic for a moment long past and largely forgotten.

Again, I love EPCOT. I love Robert Moline. I love the music. But this underlined just how gone those EPCOT attractions are. It felt like a seance waking the long dead to stir for no real reason.

Ironically, the part that *did* seem to say something to me? "A Whole New World" paired with the elements of Walt's EPCOT pitch. That was the only part of this that had a narrative thread and was saying anything other than, "Hey, look! 'Member EPCOT? 'Member how good things used to be!" It was the only button of hope.

*dons flame retardant suit*
While I totally get where you’re coming from, I still can’t help but find the fact Disney even attempted to aim any new product at an audience that is as “swiftly dwindling” as you say it is to be impressive. Honestly, this show is pretty much the exact opposite of something modern Disney would even entertain the idea of, but somehow, it managed to come into being. Although I’m too young to have experienced the park as it was originally envisioned, I can really appreciate that Disney was willing to put any of their resources towards a niche audience they had otherwise largely ignored up until this point.

After watching from the comfort of my own home / the gym (when it debuted)
Liked the preshow music
Got a bit choked up from One Little Spark believe it or not. Maybe due to some interest in Figment.
Horizons, Energy, LTTL, and TC. Never lived to ride the relevant rides in their original states, but at least I know about them. Cool. Loved it. TC sounded beautiful.
Soarin' was cool. MJ and TC redux were known before, I like the buildup to TC finale.

The VVFF, MM, and Imagination were nice. A neat, skippy portion of the show.

Millennium Celebration was sublime. Favorite part easily, most relevant as well.

And then, the infamous disaster that is A Whole New World. I mean they had a chance to make a good finale with, IDK "We Go On" or something to that effect like a member suggested. I will be a fair judge though the song's delivery doesn't come out too bad, the last few notes before the pyro finale were actually nice. One can hear a lot of these Disney songs on the radio, without any movie context and I've heard AWNW. It's a great song perhaps even romantic. Imagine an EF proposal party to the song, considering the confusion and disarray about this show it might work albeit not for everyone. But it definitely hurt the momentum of the show and makes little sense if any, the last two minutes I was like "OK, cool".

I'd theorize about the absence of ROE music that for some arbitrary reason maybe production wasn't allowed to use the music, even though TON made it just fine.

The disjoint nature of some parts was evident. The one that bugged me the most was how Soarin' rushed to Magic Journeys. A little less so was the lack of breathing room between Golden Dream and CTF, there could have been a 1-2 second longer transition. The firework volumes were underwhelming and the show seemed dark at times. Overall I think it's an elegant show, and one to see (and document) once, but nowhere near the ranks of ROE at all.

note2001

The disjoint nature of some parts was evident. The one that bugged me the most was how Soarin' rushed to Magic Journeys. A little less so was the lack of breathing room between Golden Dream and CTF, there could have been a 1-2 second longer transition. The firework volumes were underwhelming and the show seemed dark at times. Overall I think it's an elegant show, and one to see (and document) once, but nowhere near the ranks of ROE at all.
I felt the loss of any sort of transition between many of the music pieces too.
Disney is known for having wonderful composers, but this has the feeling of having been outsourced and the parts were divided up among multiple composers, each not really caring about what the others were doing, only that they fit the music Disney requested into XX seconds.

stitchcastle

my main thoughts on it is that it seems they were really aiming for "temporary" for this show. Even the fireworks felt like a selection of whatever extra pyro got delivered for Happily Ever After. There was really no rhyme or reason for any of the visuals, they were just shooting fireworks over the lake with some kites wriggling about every now and again. Even the soundtrack sounded as if someone cobbled together a playlist of old EPCOT attractions and called it a day.

"A Whole New World" being shoehorned into the end as the finale is a very crass and on-the-nose way to say that obviously Disney IP is coming to the park.

It makes you wonder why they even felt the need to make a new show if HarmonioUs is already in the wings. Any development for this is such waste of money. It's a disappointment in the sense that the last time Disney created a purportedly temporary show for EPCOT, it was Reflections of Earth.

Sir_Cliff

Hmm, I thought people might have been slightly overreacting to A Whole New World until I watched the video. It's a very strange ending.

I guess I don't have much to add to what everyone else has said, but I expected they might dwell a little more on some of the songs after seeing the clips of the orchestrations in the lead-up to the show. For example, an extended instrumental segment of Tomorrow's Child or One Little Spark with fireworks could have been really nice. They at least streached Fun to be Free out a little. For the most part, though, it just felt like a succession of micro snippets from different songs designed to solicit instant recognition that I'm sure would be bewildering to the average guest. I don't think that would be an issue if it felt like songs that could have been written for the show if you didn't already know them.

Also really don't like it when they get kids to sing for these shows. Too sickly sweet and kind of makes me feel creepy about going to WDW as someone without kids. Are some people charmed by hearing little kids sing?

Yert3

It's a disappointment in the sense that the last time Disney created a purportedly temporary show for EPCOT, it was Reflections of Earth.
I actually forgot that RoE was supposed to be a temporary show. What a contrast. I truly don’t understand why modern Disney is terrified to do anything original. Granted all the animated movies weren’t 100% original as most of them are based on books, but it least they have an original “Disney spin” on the stories. Now they’re at the point to where they’re remaking their own movies!! Why?! Even the Great Mouse Detective is getting a live action remake. Now, I love that movie, but that is just laughable!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom