News Epcot Forever to debut as interim show before full Reflections of Earth replacement

Kman101

Sooooo......Who here thinks Animal Kingdom will be next the way of the Dodo? By that Showing how World Fantasyland Showcase shows us it's not important to follow rules...Hey Bob what do you think of this?
ydMRBWq.gif

Well, it's had IP from the start. Lion King. Mickey and Minnie and pals. Character meet and greets. But they were tastefully integrated. I definitely think we'll see Rivers of IP coming soon personally.

I truly wouldn't mind Jungle Book and Lion King being more represented. I mean, it is Animal Kingdom and it's actually sort of dumb to not tie into them further. I'd certainly love a Jungle Book ride more than I do Kali. But I'd rather see the live action/cgi movies tied-in to Epcot over the animated ones. Weird preference, I know.

RSoxNo1

Sooooo......Who here thinks Animal Kingdom will be next the way of the Dodo? By that Showing how World Fantasyland Showcase shows us it's not important to follow rules...Hey Bob what do you think of this?
ydMRBWq.gif
The thing with the Animal Kingdom is that it's themes are broad enough where original concepts and movie based IPs can be added to existing areas without as much difficulty as in Epcot.

RSoxNo1

By the way, don't worry about your voice/commentary. At D23 Parks and Resorts 2017, I was in the audience, and I have a video of me audibly saying "noooo" when GOTG was announced for UoE.
If anyone was recording me leading up to the announcements it would have been vulgar. I'll clean it up though:
"Don't [mess] up the park Tom, don't [mess] it up."

Kman101

The thing with the Animal Kingdom is that it's themes are broad enough where original concepts and movie based IPs can be added to existing areas without as much difficulty as in Epcot.

You've had some good Epcot/IP ideas that I've had as well and I think they can be tastefully done, but they seem to be lazy with IP in Epcot. It's either/or and it doesn't have to be. I actually don't think it's that difficult, and I'm not sure why it is to them.

I'm going to be looking at how they do the new IP Lagoon Fest but I don't have the highest of hopes they get it right using IP, but they could, although many would still be unhappy and I definitely get why; I'm certainly not happy about another IP fest but the idea has potential (I know ... but I'm trying to find a bright spot and be a bit hopeful ... I know, I know ...)

RSoxNo1

You've had some good Epcot/IP ideas that I've had as well and I think they can be tastefully done, but they seem to be lazy with IP in Epcot. It's either/or and it doesn't have to be. I actually don't think it's that difficult, and I'm not sure why it is to them.

I'm going to be looking at how they do the new IP Lagoon Fest but I don't have the highest of hopes they get it right using IP, but they could, although many would still be unhappy and I definitely get why; I'm certainly not happy about another IP fest but the idea has potential (I know ... but I'm trying to find a bright spot and be a bit hopeful ... I know, I know ...)
I just relaunched a podcast discussing this very topic (latest Epcot episode isn't out yet). Our "homework" assignment for next show is to come up with a movie based IP that can fit in Epcot, ideally not one that's been discussed heavily.

Kman101

I just relaunched a podcast discussing this very topic (latest Epcot episode isn't out yet). Our "homework" assignment for next show is to come up with a movie based IP that can fit in Epcot, ideally not one that's been discussed heavily.

That sounds interesting. I do think there's plenty of ways to incorporate "appropriate" IPs into the park. I also wish they had allowed original flavor Journey, Horizons and WoM to become the classics (not saying they aren't, lol) they deserved to be. Really short-sighted decisions to replace instead of expand.

Epcot82Guy

As anti-IP as I am, it actually can be done rather tastefully. Going off ideas they actually have:

1. A Ratatouille ride foucsed on French cooking techniques (i.e. Remy playing chef/teacher) before things go wrong.
2. A revamp of Gran Fiesta to be the history/explanation of the Day of the Dead hosted by Miguel and friends.
3. Guardians of the Galaxy being a testament to Sci Fi history or CGI in films.

Plus, use ideas from other parks to update Epcot where proven popular. (Think Mystic Manor retooled into v2.0 of the original JII).

The problem with IP is that the STORY is what makes the CHARACTERS. It's about how you utilize them and feel connected to them - plus a great experience itself - that really drives great attractions.

rio

As anti-IP as I am, it actually can be done rather tastefully. Going off ideas they actually have:

1. A Ratatouille ride foucsed on French cooking techniques (i.e. Remy playing chef/teacher) before things go wrong.
2. A revamp of Gran Fiesta to be the history/explanation of the Day of the Dead hosted by Miguel and friends.

Plus, use ideas from other parks to update Epcot where proven popular. (Think Mystic Manor retooled into v2.0 of the original JII).

The problem with IP is that the STORY is what makes the CHARACTERS. It's about how you utilize them and feel connected to them - plus a great experience itself - that really drives great attractions.

Inside Out and Big Hero 6 would fit well in the health pavilion. Baymax and Hiro can go into the physical effect of mental health while the emotions in Riley’s head show how it effects our decisions. The films already touched on these, but it’d be a good excuse to go a little deeper.

And call it sacrilegious, but Up can be combined with Imagination. The Old Geezer and Russel carry on the slogan “Adventure is out there” once more, and somehow enter the world of imagination where they meet Figmant and the professor. Naturally Figmant and Russel get along while the new group finda their way back to Epcot.

TwilightZone

Inside Out and Big Hero 6 would fit well in the health pavilion. Baymax and Hiro can go into the physical effect of mental health while the emotions in Riley’s head show how it effects our decisions. The films already touched on these, but it’d be a good excuse to go a little deeper.

And call it sacrilegious, but Up can be combined with Imagination. The Old Geezer and Russel carry on the slogan “Adventure is out there” once more, and somehow enter the world of imagination where they meet Figmant and the professor. Naturally Figmant and Russel get along while the new group finda their way back to Epcot.
I always felt BH6 would fit Innovations more with it's heavy technological themes. Have baymax represent the good side/uses for technology and have one of the villains represent the evil side/bad uses for technology. Maybe even include a "grey area" character to show how actions on the internet can unintentionally hurt others.

rio

I always felt BH6 would fit Innovations more with it's heavy technological themes. Have baymax represent the good side/uses for technology and have one of the villains represent the evil side/bad uses for technology. Maybe even include a "grey area" character to show how actions on the internet can unintentionally hurt others.

That whole contest that Hiro won could be a great setup for that. As long as the ideas were revolving and fresh (internet manipulation being a present topic, Apple really demonstrating the health functions of the watch, etc)

DinoInstitute

It's funny to me. If I'm reading the thread right, it's a pretty universal response of "I like the idea of Epcot forever" and "The 2020 replacement is such a bad idea." It seems like such a slam dunk to me that if you are going to incorporate all the ip into the park rides, throw the die hard fans a bone and give them the show at night. Seems like an easy way to appease both the historic fans of the park and the new fans of ip.
That leads to my question- would the masses really even care? Maybe someone like Martin would know a lot better than myself in regards to guest reception, but I would think that the type of people that the IP push is aimed towards don’t care what the content of the show necessarily is as long as the fireworks/effects/etc are exciting. For something like UoE, while I don’t personally agree, I can at least see why it makes some sense to replace it with a flashier concept. But for something as universally entertaining as a nighttime spectacular, I genuinely feel like there’s no real need to do this to it.

rio

That leads to my question- would the masses really even care? Maybe someone like Martin would know a lot better than myself in regards to guest reception, but I would think that the type of people that the IP push is aimed towards don’t care what the content of the show necessarily is as long as the fireworks/effects/etc are exciting. For something like UoE, while I don’t personally agree, I can at least see why it makes some sense to replace it with a flashier concept. But for something as universally entertaining as a nighttime spectacular, I genuinely feel like there’s no real need to do this to it.

Look at it from a different angle. If you were to visit WDW and/or Epcot today, what stands out the most? Is it something you can fall in love with, and why?

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the last things that’s going to come out of the IP for the sake of IP or nothing cycle. Nothing is unique when everything is the same.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

What would be great is, since it's run for longer than any show there, they tied in the cream of the crop ROE music into the EF show. I still think they should incorporate a medley of it into the FoN shows. That way the fans who will miss this iconic music can still experience a taste of it IN the park!
Let's hope they still have the Fountain of Nations or are still doing shows when that time comes.

Kman101

Remy running around a kitchen/restaurant set in France is fairly fitting, but I do think something like you suggested would have been even better. But I understand they like to copy and paste ...

I've said it for a long time and keep saying it. Execution is what is lacking in a lot of these IP based tie-ins and rides/attractions.

Kman101

Same. I've been saying it for a long time now that they should be utilizing BH6.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom