News Epcot Forever to debut as interim show before full Reflections of Earth replacement

Tom Morrow

Not what we wanted to hear, but I understand the holiday tag has, indeed, been cut. Apparently its funding has instead allowed for holiday upgrades elsewhere, including DAK’s new package, new fireworks at MK, improvements to JB:JB, and additions to the resorts. Disappointing for Epcot, but nice everywhere else. I’m led to believe HarmoniUs will get a holiday version next year. They are knowingly shifting focus from Epcot right now as it’s objectively a mess.
Glad I made the effort to see the holiday tag last year. I had a feeling it would not return.

Tom Morrow

I’m not shooting the messenger here, but this narrative really rubs me the wrong way. “You better like the crap we pooped out or you won’t get any in the future you ungrateful slob.“

The fans aren’t just being hyperbolic. It isn’t great and some of the choices are very offputting. It is “fan service” by people that are either blatantly patronizing or have no reverence for the original design intent.

Perfect example; the children narrating is cringeworthy and not humanizing. It dumbs down the content.
Yeah, a fan service-y run-through of the classic songs would have been fine. For the most part it's okay, but there's some clearly odd decisions that turn the show from fanservice filler to insulting and patronizing. Mainly, the children announcers, the Kidz Bop versions of the songs, and the Whole New World finale.

peter11435

Yeah, a fan service-y run-through of the classic songs would have been fine. For the most part it's okay, but there's some clearly odd decisions that turn the show from fanservice filler to insulting and patronizing. Mainly, the children announcers, the Kidz Bop versions of the songs, and the Whole New World finale.
Many of the original Epcot songs featured children’s voices so those don’t really bother me. I feel they need to update the announcements both for content and narrator, and then ditch A Whole New World

Bender123

A “playful” nod to what the park will lean towards in the coming years.

Funny thing about using this song for that purpose is you have any number of actual EPCOT songs that get the same message across..."New Horizons", "Tomorrows Child" and "Making Memories" are all songs that could literally be reworked with zero effort and still sell the idea of a bright new future for Epcot.

Put me in the game, Bob! Im ready to Imagineer!

trainplane3

Many of the original Epcot songs featured children’s voices so those don’t really bother me. I feel they need to update the announcements both for content and narrator, and then ditch A Whole New World
Those are the 3 issues I have with the show. When the kid announcer came on at 730, everyone startled chuckling. I felt that said what everyone thought of it.

With a Whole New World, I get how it ties into Epcots' future but it still feels awkward. My friends (not big Disney people) were asking me why they were playing Aladdin music. We've Just Begun would've been just as good of a fit if we're talking about the park changing.

I don't hate it but it could be a much better show with a few tweaks.

MrHappy

Anyone have a link to where I can listen to the pre/post show music?
(Sorry if this was discussed already. I exhausted the search feature here and on google and youtube).
I think the music is excellent.

Epcot82Guy

Those are the 3 issues I have with the show. When the kid announcer came on at 730, everyone startled chuckling. I felt that said what everyone thought of it.

With a Whole New World, I get how it ties into Epcots' future but it still feels awkward. My friends (not big Disney people) were asking me why they were playing Aladdin music. We've Just Begun would've been just as good of a fit if we're talking about the park changing.

I don't hate it but it could be a much better show with a few tweaks.

This is the key. If they had done the One Little Spark transition and the Whole New World chrous there. Then it went into a mash up of a Whole New World, Tomorrow's Child, New Horizons and We Go On. Which, if you use WNW's double meaning, would overlap in theme. You could have had a really nice transition. Could you imagine having that, then the very ending of Illuminations: ROE (right after the white lights from the torch). But add Walt's narration right before the big fireworks. There's just so much that could have been done with these very ingredients. But, it feels phoned in and totally misses the joy of the source material.

It's the Nightime Show equivalent of the Tiki Room under New Management.

RSoxNo1

The whole new world bothers me but I think it bothered me less in person. Its certainly not a perfect show by any means. I do know that many of those who worked on this show are sort of upset by how much bashing this is getting by the fans. Its okay to not like it of course. I think it may be hard for Disney to justify fan service in the future if this is the sort of response things get. This show is also gauging how some things will go for Epcot nighttime shows in the future. Hence the higher level pyro. That is completely intentional. Gotta sell rooms at Riviera.
I didn't have an issue with the pyro, my argument was that Epcot never had "BIG" pyro. Having said that, following the first show I had the following exchange with a friend:

Me: I wasn't a fan
Friend: Me neither
Me: The pyro was fine, the music was awful
Friend: The pyro wasn't fine
Me: Epcot never really had big pyro
Friend: They did it last night.

While a good line by my friend, I maintain that it never had huge shells there and Illuminations definitely played up lower level pyro. That's not the issue for me, the audio choices absolutely were what has me hating on the show.

RSoxNo1

Yes, including Tomorrow's Child where instead of children, they used adults. For Listen to the Land they went instrumental.

If they ended with an Epcot appropriate song I would have said it was mediocre but I would have been fine with the attempt. The kid singing was an odd choice, but an argument can be made that it was well intentioned. A Whole New World was insulting and shows an utter lack of understanding of what the concept of fan service means. If they're getting cold feet on future fan service shows because of this one, they're not understanding its issues. This is 100% on them for delivering an awful product and not on the fans that are criticizing it.

RSoxNo1

This is the key. If they had done the One Little Spark transition and the Whole New World chrous there. Then it went into a mash up of a Whole New World, Tomorrow's Child, New Horizons and We Go On. Which, if you use WNW's double meaning, would overlap in theme. You could have had a really nice transition. Could you imagine having that, then the very ending of Illuminations: ROE (right after the white lights from the torch). But add Walt's narration right before the big fireworks. There's just so much that could have been done with these very ingredients. But, it feels phoned in and totally misses the joy of the source material.

It's the Nightime Show equivalent of the Tiki Room under New Management.
Not far off from what I did, but I obviously couldn't change the fireworks in the last two minutes.

TimeTrip

Not what we wanted to hear, but I understand the holiday tag has, indeed, been cut. Apparently its funding has instead allowed for holiday upgrades elsewhere, including DAK’s new package, new fireworks at MK, improvements to JB:JB, and additions to the resorts. Disappointing for Epcot, but nice everywhere else. I’m led to believe HarmoniUs will get a holiday version next year. They are knowingly shifting focus from Epcot right now as it’s objectively a mess.
That's really a shame. In addition to the loss of a great tag, it would have been neat to say "the real reason they redid the PoE audio to children's voices was because they knew they were prominently featuring children's voices in Epcot Forever"

wiredforflight

No it didn't. You still had fireworks noises and the show audio wasn't great quality at that.
Interesting as I found its audio to be far superior than any other. Yes it did have fireworks noise but that felt like it was on a different channel vs music audio. As for the video part, yeah as always their stream sucks.

MrHappy

Just to keep it top of mind. Can someone capture the audio of the pre/post show music. IMHO, it rocks. Thanks in advance to the music soldier who can pull this off and post the link here ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom