EPCOT Entertainment cuts

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
I get it. But this is what bothers me about big business. How much profit does there have to be ? And what would your position be if your job or a loved ones job was shipped overseas in the name of profit strictly for the shareholder ?
Think of your job. Even if you're making a good salary, wouldn't you take more if it was offered? Owners of businesses, by and large, are in it to make money. Sure, that isn't the only consideration, particularly when the owners have personal relationships with employees and customers. But it's still he owners whose wishes run the show. In a public company, the owners aren't I a position to make most decisions directly, but "all hail the shareholders" is still the way it ought to work. Of course, it can be debated whether these moves are actually good for shareholders, but that's a different debate.

GymLeaderPhil

blvon.jpg

I don't know about you, but I'm really glad they have a plan for the polar bear in Maelstrom.

Magenta Panther

You know I've got a pitchfork and torch here for you… Join the masses as we go to burn down Dr. K's castle…

One of my favorite things to do at WS was to visit Great Britain and listen to the British Invasion. Those lads put on a very good show, and they always seemed to draw a substantial audience.

Still, a Celtic band sounds interesting. Not all changes are bad...

luvthemeparks

Let's give them a call then (since Guest Communications will bury it.)

Tom Staggs
Chariman of WDPR
818-560-6977
tom.staggs@disney.com

Meg Crofton
President WDPR Ops US and France
818-560-7401
meg.crofton@disney.com

George Kalogridis
President of WDW
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

Jim MacPhee
SVP of NGE and WDW Parks
407-560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

Sam Lau
VP of Epcot
407-560-7025
samuel.w.lau@disney.com

Jack Feivou
GM of Epcot Entertainment Operations
407-560-6017
jack.feivou@disney.com

Thank you for posting the Contact Information!!!

Prototype82

World Showcase, while employing traditional aesthetics, is not supposed to just focus on folk and traditional culture. It is supposed to be contemporary as well with more practical considerations dictating the need to emphasize traditional aesthetics.
True. But if you're going to truly showcase the contemporary offerings of various nations, build dark rides and attractions showcasing the modern wonders of these nations instead of creating pop and rock-inspired folk bands that seem more "fun" than their actual heritage music.

tigger1968

I have always enjoyed the musical acts at Epcot, and in particular, Off Kilter. I own all of their cd's and listen to them often. Seeing them has become a highlight of any trip for me. However, I was really becoming disappointed to hear more Top 40 covers, and less and less of the traditional celtic/rock fusion that I found so great about them. I hope that they continue on in some form. Despite the very homogenized sets that I saw on my last two trips, I still love their work, and will miss them terribly. And of course...I now have very little reason to visit that pavilion.

I keep trying to tell myself that change is good, and that a refreshing of the entertainment options for Epcot is a good thing...but...that just keeps getting overridden by the deep feeling of ANGER that I have instead. Because I know TDO is going to do this on the cheap. I know that this wasn't about a better experience for the guests, it was about money. I know that it means that besides getting Frozen shoved into a space that doesn't need it...this is all we are going to get at Epcot (yes yes...paint...they painted...yay...) and the powers that be will say that they did something for Epcot. Sadly, like others have pointed out...Epcot is basically becoming a series of festivals centered around a theme park.

I was really excited when it was announced that George Kalogridis was making a return to WDW. I heard all the great stories about how he would listen and actually answer emails, or how he really believed in making the parks great. I knew very little about him other than the anecdotes that poured forth. And I think that my anger stems from the constant stream of cutbacks and changes for the worse that have poured forth under his short watch. I don't blame him per se, as I know much was in motion before he arrived, but given that all I seem to hear about is MM+ and such, and see very little effort going back in to plussing the parks (yes, I know the FL expansion is nice, great restaurant surrounded by great theming and attractions for 9 year old girls mostly..lol, and AK is getting a land that is already irrelevant, and some sort of night time parade/show)... I just feel like he sold out and lost whatever vision he had. I mean, I know there are things going on....Disney Springs (more shopping!), and vague hints of Star Wars. But I keep coming away from it all with a feeling of its all sort of cosmetic, and cost/revenue driven. I don't feel like anything that is being done will make this a better vacation place for me. The solution to the crowding issues at the Hub was to fill in the moats and pull up the trees and pave over it all?? DVC is now EVERYWHERE and getting worse. I haven't been able to afford a Deluxe Resort besides a discounted AKL room in 6 years. But when is the last time a real, solid E ticket ride was announced?

I grew up in Winter Garden...I could see the glow of the Mouse House at night from my house. I have made countless trips there...I think 25 as an adult, let alone in my youth. I LOVE WDW. Like no other place. And I have, after all this time...started to think that I really don't want to go back anytime soon. I just don't think George and the rest of TDO deserve my hard earned money anymore. I'm just angry. And disappointed.

I apologize, as this turned into much more of a rant that I intended. But it's just how I feel now. Perhaps these cuts were the straw that broke my camel's back....

NewfieFan

I'm not Canadian, but to me a lumberjack show in the Canada pavilion sounds about as stereotypical (and mildly offensive) as a show about Mounties and ice hockey. Maybe they could just set up a rink back there and form a hockey league.

I'd rather the show about Mounties and ice hockey... at least that has some relevance to Canada. The problem is, there's not much you can do to represent the whole country. From Newfoundland to British Colombia and everything in between there's a whole lot of culture. As an East Coaster I don't identify with most of what "represents" Canada. We kind of have our own culture out here, especially Newfoundland and Labrador. *Fun fact, NL is not even represented in the film!

wdrive

Sent an email to Queen Meg, not just about these Epcot changes but also about Wowzer the clown and Push being cut with no replacement and all of the recent entertainment cuts at Disneyland, again with no replacement. Not that she'll reply but it will do more than writing stuff here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom