Epcot Easy Trivia

agdbeanie

Originally posted by dizneykev
Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow

Or As Walt said it

Experimental Prototype City OF Tomorrow

Dizneykev:sohappy:

Actually it was Walt himself who coined the phrase "Expreimental Prototype COMMUNITY of Tomorrow" and the acronym EPCOT.

agdbeanie

Originally posted by agdbeanie

New question:

Describe the original design concept for the World Showcase.
*Hint* It is not the World Showcase we have today.

Sorry if this question isn't as easy as the others. But its a cool answer.

dizneykev

Actually if you watch the travel channel special and some of the films in WDW talking about when WDW was being panned, etc. Walt clearly calls it a city and not community. It was later changed to community by the imagineers because they could not think of a way to create a real live functioning city that would allow people to visit as a theme park and live there together. The acronym stuck, the name had to change slightly to match what the new park actually would be. It's symantics, but it is the truth.

Dizneykev

Nut4Disney

Disneykev is absolutely right, he did call it "city". In the travel channel episode the other nite he called it city as well. Sorry I'm retentive. :lol:

agdbeanie

Well, I didn't see the Travel Channel special, but as far as I know he referred to it as a city when not using the official name, because that was the original intention--for it to be a "genuine laboratory of urban development where people would live, work, and play"...but the acronym EPCOT never included the word "City". In fact if you go to One Man's Dream at MGM they play a recording of Walt himself decribing his idea and he clearly says "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow."
The name was not changed to community later after they realized what the new park would be, because it isn't really a community at all. It was changed to EPCOT Center to reflect the park's role as the "theme center" of Walt Disney World. The name was again changed in 1994 dropping the word "center" and reducing the acronym to a term and adding the current year. (ex. Epcot 96)
Maybe I missed something. Did the program play Walt himself decribing it. I really wish my cable wasn't so ghetto and I could get that channel. Grrr.

Lhriangel

Okay I think this is correct. World Showcase was originally planned as a seperate park. It was going to be so that each country had the same amount of visiblity athough how much each country gave to their epcot counterpart would determine the depth of the country...

Maria

Original Poster
According to "Since the World Began", WSC was going to have 30 interior pavillions in a gigantic single building.

Also.. I forgot to mention it before... BUT, if you walk around WSC, you would have walked 1.3 miles, not 1.2 as someone said. ;) Tell me about it... I did an average of 6 rounds per day! ;)

agdbeanie

Very good Maria & Angelique!!:sohappy:

Courtyard of Nations: consists of a high-rise Observation Tower and 30 pavilions. Although the pavilions differed in square footage, they all had the same amount of frontage along the interior courtyard, regardless of how much space the pavilion contained behind the facade. The buildings would be semi-circular with all of the pavilions contained within the building itself. The intent of this design was to avoid visual competition between countries.
It was never designed as a seperate park though.

New question:
How many acres is the lagoon at the World Showcase?

Lhriangel

Originally posted by agdbeanie

It was never designed as a seperate park though.

From Walt Disney Imagineering Book:

World Showcase at Epcot at Walt Disney World was originally going to be a separate theme park. The idea was to combine representations of the nations of the world together within two huge twin structures that formed semi-circular malls. Each of the pavillions, visible only from the front, would be situated closely side-by-side, with their entrances open to the central core of the mall....

agdbeanie

185? That's a lot! Actually Maria's right---it's 40 acres:sohappy:

New Question:
How long did it take to build Spaceship Earth?

agdbeanie

26 months is the correct answer!:sohappy:

New Question:

Which countries do not have Penny Press machines (I like to call them penny smooshers) in their world showcase pavilion?

*Hint*One of the countries has a penny press option, but it's located in another country.

Maria

Original Poster
I might be wrong, but I didn´t see penny press machines in wSC while I worked there.... I know for sure that Mexico didn´t have one!
The one in the US Pavillion was in the gift shop and there was also another one at the stores next to the WSC Plaza. I don´t know of any other ones! :(

DisneyCP2000

<<2>>. I really don't reacall seeing too many of them. AA and the 2 towers at the front of World Showcase are the only places I really know of. I'm assuming Canada or UK may have another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom