Epcot Center Drive closed due to major accident

luv

I thought, too, "Someone slammed on their brakes or cut someone off," just because it happens so often at WDW. Not necessarily that driver - could have been someone in front of her that, in turn, forced her to brake. God knows I've had to brake often enough and I know the trouble spots AND am familiar with tourist driving, so always trying to go slow and leave space. People unfamiliar with driving at WDW are surely braking more than I have to.

But we don't know for sure, of course. And even if the driver was "at fault", paying for an error with your life is still too stiff a price.

Maybe this will remind all of us how important it is to drive safely, especially in new places. We can always turn around or pull into somewhere safe to stop.

Last edited:

WDWDad13

Wow...thoughts and prayers are with their family and the bus driver as well as I just can't imagine how they must feel (regardless of fault)

Thank God there weren't others in that car especially children

RWilliams

Premium Member
A woman in her 60s, driving alone on Disney property - wouldn't surprise me to learn it was a CM.
That was my first thought when I saw the photo, your typical WDW vacationer tends to drive either a newer car of their own or a newer rental car. It just looks kind of like a typical CM car to me.

bgraham34

Who says she stopped, just last week a friends car died right in the middle of the highway, they had
no intention of stopping in the middle of the interstate.

From the look of the damage she was either stopped or possibly slammed on her breaks. If she was going at the speed limit you would not see that sort of damage plus she probably would have been spun around.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Who says she stopped, just last week a friends car died right in the middle of the highway, they had
no intention of stopping in the middle of the interstate.

Based on the damage to the Buick.

Edit: I just got the press release from FHP. According to witnesses, the Buick inexplicably stopped in from of the bus. The bus was unable to stop in time and struck the Buick.

Last edited:

crispy

It's also possible that she had a heart attack or stroke and passed away the accident which would also explain why she stopped. It's just a sad situation for all involved.

Goofyernmost

As usual, I must interject here. At this point I do not know anymore then any of us about what exactly happened. As a licensed bus driver and someone that in my managerial position, had the wonderful job of investigating many bus/car accidents in my time I have made a few observations just based on the accident scene.

Bear in mind that it is very possible that I am wrong, but judging from the angle of impact, which looks to be square with the back of the car, I would immediately think that it was not a cut off situation. That usually would involve an angled damage not a flat on hit. I don't know why they slowed down or stopped but as mentioned, it could very well be mechanical and not just a stupid action on the part of the driver, but, it really doesn't matter. As a holder of a CDL with passenger endorsement there are certain things that a driver must always keep in mind. One is speed...that car was hit with considerable speed and this was inside Disney property, from what they have said. I don't know of many places on property where the speed limit is much over 35 miles per hour. To do that much damage it had to be doing, at the very least, 35 miles an hour and no effort to stop would have been made. That leads us to part two. A driver must always be aware of his/her surroundings and the safe zone that must be maintained in traffic. A driver must always be in complete control of their vehicle and that includes allowing enough space to either stop or take evasive action to avoid an accident. Just from what I was able to see at the scene, unless some really convincing information surfaces this will clearly be the fault of the bus driver. Rule of thumb, unless extenuating circumstances arise, the vehicle that hits another vehicle will almost always be at fault. Unfortunate, yes, but that lady didn't have a good day either. In fact, I'd have to say it was a lot worse.

maxairmike

As usual, I must interject here. At this point I do not know anymore then any of us about what exactly happened. As a licensed bus driver and someone that in my managerial position, had the wonderful job of investigating many bus/car accidents in my time I have made a few observations just based on the accident scene.

Bear in mind that it is very possible that I am wrong, but judging from the angle of impact, which looks to be square with the back of the car, I would immediately think that it was not a cut off situation. That usually would involve an angled damage not a flat on hit. I don't know why they slowed down or stopped but as mentioned, it could very well be mechanical and not just a stupid action on the part of the driver, but, it really doesn't matter. As a holder of a CDL with passenger endorsement there are certain things that a driver must always keep in mind. One is speed...that car was hit with considerable speed and this was inside Disney property, from what they have said. I don't know of many places on property where the speed limit is much over 35 miles per hour. To do that much damage it had to be doing, at the very least, 35 miles an hour and no effort to stop would have been made. That leads us to part two. A driver must always be aware of his/her surroundings and the safe zone that must be maintained in traffic. A driver must always be in complete control of their vehicle and that includes allowing enough space to either stop or take evasive action to avoid an accident. Just from what I was able to see at the scene, unless some really convincing information surfaces this will clearly be the fault of the bus driver. Rule of thumb, unless extenuating circumstances arise, the vehicle that hits another vehicle will almost always be at fault. Unfortunate, yes, but that lady didn't have a good day either. In fact, I'd have to say it was a lot worse.
World Dr, Epcot Center Dr (where the accident happened) both have 50mph speed limits, Osceola is 40-45, and BVD has 40/45mph sections.

Personally, removing the darn arches would increase safety a lot, but that's a different story.

JimboJones123

I didn't want to post a very similar but naive response, but my mind went directly there. That was an incredibly square and incredibly harsh impact.

Then again, pre investigation, we know nothing.

Was she parked?

I have seen my fair share of cars going in reverse on those roads after missing a turn.

Just a horrific situation. A reminder that one can never assume anything from other drivers. Anywhere.

Becky

Not familiar with that acronym
Assured Clear Distance Ahead. It requires drivers to maintain a safe distance between their vehicle and the one ahead. It is called different things in different states but is an ordinance in all 50. That may or may not be the case here. Eye witnesses are often very unreliable. The FHP will do a very detailed and professional investigation and the final report will end all of our speculation.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Assured Clear Distance Ahead. It requires drivers to maintain a safe distance between their vehicle and the one ahead. It is called different things in different states but is an ordinance in all 50. That may or may not be the case here. Eye witnesses are often very unreliable. The FHP will do a very detailed and professional investigation and the final report will end all of our speculation.

I'm sorry, I cannot upload their report from my phone.

Goofyernmost

Believe me there are cameras on that bus that have recorded speed, when brakes were applied, very clear visual out of the front window, the sides to the back, inside the bus and even sound and it will tell exactly what happened. We just don't have that information and it will only come out if what is found is challenged. It's not the same as it used to be. Bus companies invest in these systems to protect themselves from wrongful allegations and you would be amazed at how sharp and clear these digital movies are, but, they also will protect the public almost as often as the other way around. So if you are riding on a bus almost anywhere, even small towns and you decide to pick your nose...it is being recorded. See why I'm not even a little jolted by this data-mining thing. Small potatoes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom