Epcot Center Drive closed due to major accident

rob0519

Specific location was 50 yards east of overpass rd on ECD. Left lane. Approx 325. Overcast co

Again, I'm referencing what the Florida Highway Patrol is saying. They say that the woman just stopped.

I never doubted you are reporting what the FHP is reporting, but wording will eventually be crucial in a situation like this. If the deceased intentionally applied the brakes, then, yes the woman stopped the vehicle. However, if there was a mechanical failure or medical emergency and the car came to a stop without her intervention, it cannot accurately be stated that "the woman just stopped". Yes, the vehicle stopped either way, but the outcome of any litigation may hinge on how and why it stopped.

I_heart_Tigger

I was on a Disney bus that was involved in an accident with a car. The car was totaled, the driver (a CM) was severely injured and later (from my recollection weeks later) died in hospital. The impact felt on the bus was so minimal it felt like we had bumped a curb. The front of her car was completely smashed in and the driver was found pinned under the steering wheel between the pedals and the seat. I suspect she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Once I saw the car I couldn't believe how little we felt on the bus.

luv

Per Channel 6...

The woman was 63. A teen and infant were taken to the hospital, as a precaution.

Disney is saddened and offers their condolences / deepest sympathies to the family. Disney offers support to those on the bus. Disney is cooperating with FHP.

Mechanical issues being investigated.

Driver was 33, did brake, but couldn't stop in time.

wogwog

That was my first thought when I saw the photo, your typical WDW vacationer tends to drive either a newer car of their own or a newer rental car. It just looks kind of like a typical CM car to me.
Local Orlando news released her name just now as Solange Blain. A friend who works at WDW looked up the name and found a lady of that exact name works at POP Century food service. Sad. Prayers for her family and friends.

cheezbat

This was a pretty scary accident. I had just dropped my friend off at MK and took that road back to the freeway. The whole thing played out in front of me and I was nearly in the midst of the mess. I thank God I was able to react in time.

Its sad somebody passed away in the matter.

MOXOMUMD

We were just getting ready to head out of DTD today when everyone kept looking up to see the news helicopters flying so low. I made a comment to my daughter that I'd never heard sirens in all my trips to WDW before so something must have happened. We boarded our bus probably 20-25 minutes after the accident and it got rerouted and we couldn't figure out why they were taking. "the long way home". It took us almost 50 minutes to get from DTD to the All-Stars. The traffic was bumper to bumper like an inner city rush hour on Friday afternoon.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Sorry, the FHP only types in caps. Here's the straight narrative for those curious.

V1 AND V2(MEARS BUS CARRYING 36 PASSENGERS) WERE TRAVELING WESTBOUND ON EPCOT CENTER DRIVE, IN THE LEFT TRAVEL LANE. ACCORDING TO WITNESSES, V1 STOPPED IN THE TRAVEL LANE. V2 DRIVER WAS UNABLE TO STOP AND THE FRONT OF V2 STRUCK THE REAR OF V1. V1 DRIVER DIED AT THE HOSPITAL. TWO PASSENGERS FROM V2 WERE TAKEN TO CELEBRATION HOSPITAL WITH MINOR INJURIES. THIS CRASH REMAINS UNDER
INVE ST IGAT ION.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Given the location (right next to the exit) I am wondering if that is exactly what happened. I have seen countless people who will just lock their breaks up in the middle of an interstate because they missed their exit.

I can't tell you the number of people, many times with out-of-state plates, I see in Washington DC actually reversing on interstates, highways, and other busy streets because they missed their exit. I was almost killed yesterday (it would at least have been a significant crash) in a 45 mph zone near the Pentagon, as a car was in the right hand lane, in reverse, trying to get back to an exit they had missed about 40 yards back. A person behind the wheel, not thinking, can kill a lot more people than just themselves.

Not saying that is what happened here, not at all. I do think people like to forget that while they are on vacation driving is still a real thing, traffic is still a real thing, and just because you missed your exit it does not mean you can just throw your vehicle in reverse and get back to the exit you missed. Go to the next exit, double back, and save lives.

Condolences to the family here, though, regardless of what happened.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We were just getting ready to head out of DTD today when everyone kept looking up to see the news helicopters flying so low. I made a comment to my daughter that I'd never heard sirens in all my trips to WDW before so something must have happened. We boarded our bus probably 20-25 minutes after the accident and it got rerouted and we couldn't figure out why they were taking. "the long way home". It took us almost 50 minutes to get from DTD to the All-Stars. The traffic was bumper to bumper like an inner city rush hour on Friday afternoon.
Traffic was nuts. I drove by it today on the way to Typhoon. The kid snapped some pictures. It looked really bad...

Mammymouse

Sorry, the FHP only types in caps. Here's the straight narrative for those curious.

V1 AND V2(MEARS BUS CARRYING 36 PASSENGERS) WERE TRAVELING WESTBOUND ON EPCOT CENTER DRIVE, IN THE LEFT TRAVEL LANE. ACCORDING TO WITNESSES, V1 STOPPED IN THE TRAVEL LANE. V2 DRIVER WAS UNABLE TO STOP AND THE FRONT OF V2 STRUCK THE REAR OF V1. V1 DRIVER DIED AT THE HOSPITAL. TWO PASSENGERS FROM V2 WERE TAKEN TO CELEBRATION HOSPITAL WITH MINOR INJURIES. THIS CRASH REMAINS UNDER
INVE ST IGAT ION.

I was pretty sure that Disney contracts out the DME to Mears.

dave&di

Why should be not be allowed to discuss this? Many of us drive on these roads and use these buses - I think it's absolutely important to know how and why this happened.
My opinion - because this has nothing to do WDW apart from the fact it happened on a road on property, it would appear the poor lady lost concentration and stopped her car, a DME bus went into the back of it. It would appear the only person at fault has suffered the worst fate. Lessons to learn? Don't stop your car in the middle of a busy road. I don't believe there is much more to discuss.

Personally I find it too morbid, someone died, it's sad. Let them be.

Of course you're all free to discuss what you like until mods intervene and yes I know if I don't like it don't read it. I don't participate in 'heavy' threads but just giving my 2c.

bfox1183

My opinion - because this has nothing to do WDW apart from the fact it happened on a road on property, it would appear the poor lady lost concentration and stopped her car, a DME bus went into the back of it. It would appear the only person at fault has suffered the worst fate. Lessons to learn? Don't stop your car in the middle of a busy road. I don't believe there is much more to discuss.

Of course you're all free to discuss what you like until mods intervene and yes I know if I don't like it don't read it. I don't participate in 'heavy' threads but just giving my 2c.
People will constantly flex their right to free speech, especially on situations like this. Its sad she was rear-ended by the ME bus(and from my experience with accidents like this, it does not surprise me this was a fatal after seeing her car), but people want to discuss it because it affects a place they like.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

I have a couple of thoughts here:

First, we're one of the most heavily visited Disney news site and by far the most accurate. Its the fastest way to spread information to guests and cast alike that they need to find a different way to get to property as it is one of the two primary routes traveled by guests/cast into property.

Two, since this is information that is going to be out there, Its my goal to make sure that information is factual and correct.

Third, gotta find a way to keep these things from happening. Buses should not rear end cars but cars should just not arbitrarily stop in the far left lane either.

Disvillain63

I can't tell you the number of people, many times with out-of-state plates, I see in Washington DC actually reversing on interstates, highways, and other busy streets because they missed their exit. I was almost killed yesterday (it would at least have been a significant crash) in a 45 mph zone near the Pentagon, as a car was in the right hand lane, in reverse, trying to get back to an exit they had missed about 40 yards back. A person behind the wheel, not thinking, can kill a lot more people than just themselves.

Not saying that is what happened here, not at all. I do think people like to forget that while they are on vacation driving is still a real thing, traffic is still a real thing, and just because you missed your exit it does not mean you can just throw your vehicle in reverse and get back to the exit you missed. Go to the next exit, double back, and save lives.

Condolences to the family here, though, regardless of what happened.
It's not just out-of-state tags causing problems in Washington D.C. We were traveling through and two locals came racing up the median shoulder as if chasing one another.

draybook

There's only two people here who had any amount of control in what happened. That would be the bus driver and the lady that perished.

We all know not to stop in a driving lane so that negates that. Most of us aren't going to be a Mears driver, so there's that. So knowing how and why this happened is a moot point as to why we're discussing this.

dave&di

People will constantly flex their right to free speech, especially on situations like this. Its sad she was rear-ended by the ME bus(and from my experience with accidents like this, it does not surprise me this was a fatal after seeing her car), but people want to discuss it because it affects a place they like.
I agree, can't argue with anything you said! I don't see the need to criticise the driver, it's those posts that bother me. Hay-ho, onwards and upwards!
I have a couple of thoughts here:

First, we're one of the most heavily visited Disney news site and by far the most accurate. Its the fastest way to spread information to guests and cast alike that they need to find a different way to get to property as it is one of the two primary routes traveled by guests/cast into property.

Two, since this is information that is going to be out there, Its my goal to make sure that information is factual and correct.

Third, gotta find a way to keep these things from happening. Buses should not rear end cars but cars should just not arbitrarily stop in the far left lane either.
Point 1 - Agreed.
Point 2 - Agreed.
Point 3 - Agreed, buses would not rear end cars but if a car just stops in a lane it's going to happen, so basically don't stop in the far left lane! What else is there to take from this?

Can I point out my posts aren't written in anger or with any plans to start an argument, I generally post on "what's your favourite ride" threads! I respect you guys and never fall out with anyone on here, I keep coming back expecting a "how dare you say that" reply! :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom