Epcot Center/Buena Vista Drive Interchange Project

TimeTrip

I think this calls for an overlay....

View attachment 100228
I think your scaling is a bit off (noticeable on the top part of the image). This is my take:
overlay.jpg

roj2323

I think your scaling is a bit off (noticeable on the top part of the image). This is my take:
View attachment 100262
Even after seeing this overlay I am failing to see how this improves the interchange. All I see is the potential for more traffic lights on the off ramps and more traffic on bonnet creek parkway. Cast members going home from work at Epcot will also have to cross traffic (turn) to get to the onramp for Epcot center drive east to go home instead of just going straight.

I hate to say it but this is looking more and more like it's only one part of a much much larger transportation infrastructure project.

TimeTrip

Even after seeing this overlay I am failing to see how this improves the interchange. All I see is the potential for more traffic lights on the off ramps and more traffic on bonnet creek parkway. Cast members going home from work at Epcot will also have to cross traffic (turn) to get to the onramp for Epcot center drive east to go home instead of just going straight.

I hate to say it but this is looking more and more like it's only one part of a much much larger transportation infrastructure project.
I agree, the extra traffic light coming of Epcot center dr west at BVD will likely be unproductive. However, getting rid of the loop from epcot center drive west onto BVD west will reduce the dangerous merging that happens for those travelling from BVD west to Epcot Center Drive East.

How do you figure that these changes add more traffic to bonnet creek. I thought it did until I realized that it looks like traffic from Epcot Center Dr west will exit before BVD and turn left onto BVD west at a new light.

halltd

Just looking at the emphasis of this plan, it's obvious the primary concern was traffic leaving Disney Springs and getting onto the highway as fast as possible with as least interference...or continuing straight on BVD. Had they left the current exit cloverleaf, it would have caused a horrible merge point with traffic trying to flow right onto the new entrance cloverleaf. Even as it exists today, that merge point is horrible. So, the only "worse off" direction is cast leaving Epcot, but they still don't have to cross any traffic to get onto the highway. They have to make more right turns, but that's it. It's still a semi-continuous flow. I'm sure the numbers of cars estimated to be leaving Disney Springs was far greater (and in a higher concentration) than those leaving Epcot cast parking.

Mike730

In the drawing it appears that the road bows out on both sides which suggests to me they are going to build both new bridges first, then remove both of the old ones.
You're definitely right about that. It seems to me like that is quite a bit of more work and money spent completely constructing new roadways to the east and west of the current lanes, though. All in the interest of a smooth changeover? Since when has roadwork ever given that much consideration to drivers? ha!

And I have to agree with those saying that ridding of the direct (straight) lane to Bonnet Creek Parkway seems like a strange decision.

halltd

I drove by tonight and the "Donald" side of the entrance gateway has been demolished (West side of Epcot Center Drive). Obviously no pictures since I was driving...and by myself.

roj2323

Truth. And I understand some pieces of it, but there's a new set of lights installed on BVD that aren't active yet that I'm not sure how it'll connect.
That should be the new Epcot Cr drive off ramp intersection. The current ramp which is further towards Disney springs is going to be closed.

WDWBryan

Wow me no likey the elimination of the cloverleaf to west bound lbv. But I guess if the studios entrance is eventually going to change it won't be needed that much

WDWBryan

Anyone been out there? It would appear that the off ramp circle is now closed according to apple maps. Possibly means the new single off ramp for buena vista east and west is open with those temporary lights they installed now on?

YodaMan

Anyone been out there? It would appear that the off ramp circle is now closed according to apple maps. Possibly means the new single off ramp for buena vista east and west is open with those temporary lights they installed now on?

The ramp was slated to open July 8, so I guess that means they met their deadline?

Disone

That new off-ramp is the most perplexing thing. It takes away the flow on 2 Bonnet Creek Parkway. The old off-ramp allowed traffic to merge east bound on BVD towards Disney Springs, To stop and turn left on to west bound BVD, or to stop and then continue forward on to Bonnet Creek Parkway. This new off-ramp requires a stop, which is already causing backups onto the main Highway. Allows only for hard right or hard left turns onto east and west bound Buena Vista Drive. It also Eliminates the option to connect directly to Bonnet Creek Parkway. Cars will have to turn right at the new intersection and then make a very quick left turn at the original intersection crossing over several Lanes of traffic. Before they had one intersection handling everything, now they have two intersections that are too close to each other to be efficient. How is this better? I understand many parts of this project but I do not understand this part.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom