Epcot Center/Buena Vista Drive Interchange Project

Texas84

Around here they put a new traffic light in flashing mode with huge orange signs saying this light goes active on so-and-so date. Guessing in Florida they will just go for it.

tl77

Not to "derail" (he he) this thread but I liked a concept that @Monorail_Red_77 posted some time back, showing a line from the Epcot Center loop to AK with a stop at HS in-between. Will never happen. But it makes the most logical sense.

disney-world-map-jpg.86423

Why not just eliminate to stops? https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3778183,-81.5623388,665m/data=!3m1!1e3
Epcot-monorai-2-1-4.jpg

Next Big Thing

They would then have to actually put money into the monorail hotels to make them a bit more upscale if they planned on continuing to charge as much as they do though ;)

It's really amazing how nice the Four Seasons and how cheap it is in comparison. There's a FL Resident promo going on Where I can stay there for only $295 a night (in comparison to the $500 and up at the monorail resorts) and that INCLUDES VALET!!!!

tl77

They would then have to actually put money into the monorail hotels to make them a bit more upscale if they planned on continuing to charge as much as they do though ;)

It's really amazing how nice the Four Seasons and how cheap it is in comparison. There's a FL Resident promo going on Where I can stay there for only $295 a night (in comparison to the $500 and up at the monorail resorts) and that INCLUDES VALET!!!!

But once they have a single monorail system in place, they can then turn all the resorts into monorail resorts, with trains, trolleys, people movers ect...
Epcot-monorai-2-1-40.jpg

but the value resorts I guess will still use buses
exhibits-4.jpg

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Interesting. So they are eliminating the clover leaf ramp from Epcot Center Dr north to Buena Vista Dr West and then moving the other ramp from Epcot Center Dr north to other side of Bonnet creek so it will no longer be aligned with Bonnet Creek Parkway. It also looks like they are completely replacing the bridges over Buena vista Dr since they are wider apart in the drawing then they currently are.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Interesting. So they are eliminating the clover leaf ramp from Epcot Center Dr north to Buena Vista Dr West and then moving the other ramp from Epcot Center Dr north to other side of Bonnet creek so it will no longer be aligned with Bonnet Creek Parkway. It also looks like they are completely replacing the bridges over Buena vista Dr since they are wider apart in the drawing then they currently are.
This doesn't seem helpful at all. The only movement that is made easier is from WB BVD to Southbound ECD. Others are made more difficult.

halltd

It almost looks like the new roadways/bridges could be built without affecting the current roadway as well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It almost looks like the new roadways/bridges could be built without affecting the current roadway as well.

Yes, since they split apart in the new plan it looks like this is what they are going to do, build the new bridges and then demolish the old one. Easiest way to do something like this since they have enough room align the road with the new bridges.

I recently saw them re-build a bridge in my area where they couldn't do this and couldn't close the bridge completely, so they sliced it in half right down the middle, ran one way traffic on one side while demolishing and re-building the other, then flip flopping and doing the same on the other side.

dstrawn9889

Yes, since they split apart in the new plan it looks like this is what they are going to do, build the new bridges and then demolish the old one. Easiest way to do something like this since they have enough room align the road with the new bridges.

I recently saw them re-build a bridge in my area where they couldn't do this and couldn't close the bridge completely, so they sliced it in half right down the middle, ran one way traffic on one side while demolishing and re-building the other, then flip flopping and doing the same on the other side.
carve ups happen around here all the time, flip-flopping back and forth until the whole thing is done

ULPO46

Why does a vast majority of people still believe that TWDC would invest in adding extra monorail track. It was nice while it lasted but ome to think of it had the WDWR been built today there would have been no Monorails as it's way to expensive to build and un economic to maintain regardless of how many passengers ride it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Why does a vast majority of people still believe that TWDC would invest in adding extra monorail track. It was nice while it lasted but ome to think of it had the WDWR been built today there would have been no Monorails as it's way to expensive to build and un economic to maintain regardless of how many passengers ride it.

I think there is a very small number of people here who actually believe Disney would expand the monorail.

halltd

I don't think a vast majority believe it WILL get built, but a large percentage WANTS it to get built. Two very different things. Personally I think it's a great idea, but I'm also a huge fan/supporter of mass transit and the separation of mass transit from the automobile roadways. I also think WDW is the perfect place for it.

Along the lines of your "it's way too expensive to build" in reference to building WDW today, with that attitude, none of the resort would have ever been built. Do you think the utilidors were cheap? How about the Contemporary? How about miles and miles of new roads, a power plant, laundry, and a telecommunications company in the middle of a swamp? Yeah, not so cheap. But, ironically enough, that's why it is as popular as it is today as well. The thought, and expense, that was put into the original property is WHY WDW is what it is. If they had just built things that were "nice" back then, I don't think it would have the reputation that it does. I only wish the bean counters fully comprehended that today.

Next Big Thing

Quick update on the upscale hotel situation: I received a promo code for Uni's Portofino Bay Resort for only $144/night! $50 less than Cabana Bay (on the same nights)!

I've always been more of a Disney fan and even when going to te Uni parks on a WDW vacation, I've never actually thought about staying at their resorts. However, I know the resorts are of high quality and Portofino is their best, so to be able to get it for such a good deal I honestly couldn't pass it up!

EDIT: ^^^ Huh?

Last edited:

Mike730

My bet is on them building the westbound bridge first, and then using the old westbound bridge for eastbound traffic as they rebuild the eastbound bridge.

Say that 5 times fast.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
My bet is on them building the westbound bridge first, and then using the old westbound bridge for eastbound traffic as they rebuild the eastbound bridge.

Say that 5 times fast.

In the drawing it appears that the road bows out on both sides which suggests to me they are going to build both new bridges first, then remove both of the old ones.

the.dreamfinder

I think there is a very small number of people here who actually believe Disney would expand the monorail.

I don't think a vast majority believe it WILL get built, but a large percentage WANTS it to get built. Two very different things. Personally I think it's a great idea, but I'm also a huge fan/supporter of mass transit and the separation of mass transit from the automobile roadways. I also think WDW is the perfect place for it.

Along the lines of your "it's way too expensive to build" in reference to building WDW today, with that attitude, none of the resort would have ever been built. Do you think the utilidors were cheap? How about the Contemporary? How about miles and miles of new roads, a power plant, laundry, and a telecommunications company in the middle of a swamp? Yeah, not so cheap. But, ironically enough, that's why it is as popular as it is today as well. The thought, and expense, that was put into the original property is WHY WDW is what it is. If they had just built things that were "nice" back then, I don't think it would have the reputation that it does. I only wish the bean counters fully comprehended that today.
Disney will only build new monorail lines when they are faced with no other choice which we will be approaching in the near future. The resort is not designed to handle the amount of car/bus traffic it recieves. Guests should not have to wait 20-40 minutes for a bus and then have a 20-30 minute drive back to their hotels at the end of the day. The articulated busses and road widening projects are only short term fixes. Walt Disney World was planned as a mass transit first resort with efficiency as the primary goal. Monorails have a much greater capacity than the busses with the added benefit of their own right of way. The only problem with the monorails being that they have very high upfront capital costs, something TDO, and by extension Burbank, want to avoid. The decades of short termism, having kicked monorail expansion down the road for almost three decades, has gotten the resort to a point where they will desperately need significantly more efficient means to transport guests. They are reaping what they sewed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom