EPCOT Center 35th Anniversary Events?

prberk

I don't begrudge anyone who wanted to be there to celebrate. They weren't celebrating the corpse now know as Epcot. They were likely there to celebrate Epcot Center that they once knew and loved. I don't see it as supporting the current state and future direction of the park. Epcot trended on The Twitter today which shows to me a lot of people care about what the park used to be. I saw a lot of "fixitplease" in the tweets. Unfortunately though, many DO want Guardians and IPs everywhere and that's sadly who they're listening to. That's not excusing it but I 'get it'. I don't like it. I don't think they need to rely on IPs. I do think if IPs are used to enhance something that fits what Epcot Center should be then I'm not too upset but that's not what Guardians will do. I don't think Frozen was the right fit. I'm not upset at Ratatouille or even Coco if it comes. Doesn't mean I don't love the park for what it was and what it could be again.

The sad part is that "EPCOT" is an IP in itself. They used to understand that... they created it.

I remember when ad after ad for travel to central Florida referred to "Disney World and EPCOT" as the draws. Yes, at the time I remember thinking, "EPCOT is part of Walt Disney World," but I understood what they were doing. They were picking up the two "IPs" as independently recognized identities that complemented one another and likely broadened the customer base. EPCOT was seen as attracting the adults or inquisitive students, while complementing the kid-friendly reputation of "Disney World" (a.k.a., the Magic Kingdom).

I just wish they understood what an amazing and viable "IP" they still have in EPCOT.

I have said before that they could still use TV to support it: a "Discovery" type of TV show with an EPCOT backdrop (and occasionally a DAK backdrop) would do so well to both showcase cool new things AND WDW itself.

Disney just does not always know the diversity of what it has.

(By the way, anyone else remember that other "IP" they own, called "Winnie the Pooh".... I guess we can only concentrate on so many at time. Sigh.)

the.dreamfinder

The sad part is that "EPCOT" is an IP in itself. They used to understand that... they created it.

I remember when ad after ad for travel to central Florida referred to "Disney World and EPCOT" as the draws. Yes, at the time I remember thinking, "EPCOT is part of Walt Disney World," but I understood what they were doing. They were picking up the two "IPs" as independently recognized identities that complemented one another and likely broadened the customer base. EPCOT was seen as attracting the adults or inquisitive students, while complementing the kid-friendly reputation of "Disney World" (a.k.a., the Magic Kingdom).

I just wish they understood what an amazing and viable "IP" they still have in EPCOT.

I have said before that they could still use TV to support it: a "Discovery" type of TV show with an EPCOT backdrop (and occasionally a DAK backdrop) would do so well to both showcase cool new things AND WDW itself.

(By the way, anyone else remember that other "IP" they own, called "Winnie the Pooh".... I guess we can only concentrate on so many at time. Sigh.)
BINGO!
EPCOT could be one of Disney’s crown jewel BRANDS if they wanted it to be. They wouldn’t need to buy it either!

Kman101

Agreed with all of this. Epcot IS an IP and should have been leveraged better. It's a real shame they don't understand what to do. Unless some do and the higher ups reject original IPs (which sounds like it could be the case?).

Thelazer

Kudos to whoever programmed the laser show on the global last night AFTER the fireworks.
Did a pretty good job with just the panglin stock stuff.
Now to get those in entertainment to spring for some custom frames next time around, lets get a dream-finder blimp guys!

WDW862

I'm curious what section you were in and what time you got to your vehicles. Trying to get a sense if it was timing, or the lot location that made your experiences so much different.

I know part of the reason I got out easily was because I was the the farthest parking section in the 2nd row from the back. I had a really long hike to the car, but once I got that at exactly 10PM getting out was easy.
I was in Imagine (near the entrance) and left at around 9:40.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was in Imagine (near the entrance) and left at around 9:40.

Unfortunately, there is pretty long historic precedent that the the closer you are to the park entrance, the longer it will take you to get out of the lot. The one exception to that is the west lot where the handicapped and electric vehicle charging is located (Journey I think), that tends to be the quickest overall to get out. The worst 2 sections are those in close lots east of the main tramway that is most often used. I know this is no consolation but to be honest 35 minutes on a busy night like last night, especially given where you were parked really isn't all that bad. I've been in Create a couple of times on big holidays like July 4th and NYE and had it take 90 minutes or more to just get out of the parking lot and on my way home.

brb1006

The Direct To Video Pooh films of the 2000's are very underrated. Especially The Tigger Movie.

JohnD

More shirts on the Disney Parks app. I gave in and bought one since available there.

There's also an Epcot 35 medallion for $29.99.

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

Well I had a lovely evening at the park.

22089040_10211873532368433_1174977328151115115_n.jpg

JohnD

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom