EPCOT – the park that lost its optimism

cpeterstx

Original Poster
I know this topic has been discussed before but after spending some time watching videos of original EPCOT attractions, I felt compelled to write this.

I first went to EPCOT Center in late October 1983. I was 12 years old at the time and loved all things technology, so to me, EPCOT Center was a dream park!

I can vividly remember Horizons (which was brand new!), Imagination, Horizons, the original Universe of Energy, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth. On later visits when I was older, I can remember all of the other attractions like the Land boat ride, etc.

What I remember, more than anything else, is the feeling of optimism and the encouragement of forward thinking in all aspects of our techno-lives. All of the attractions encouraged and inspired using our minds and our shared values to create the opportunity for a better life for all. Songs like New Horizons (If we can Dream it), Tomorrow’s Child, Imagination!, Golden Dreams, and Listen the Land all exemplified this spirit.

To further bolster my point, I encourage you to take a look at this 9 minute video souvenir of EPCOT Center: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kygFzmrIroA

Now, I am NOT advocating that we should tear down Test Track, Mission: Space, etc. I am not for rebuilding Horizons and World of Motions, etc. However, I AM for reintroducing the spirit of ingenuity and discovery back into the park. I don’t claim to know how this can be done but I am fearful that the Epcot of today is becoming just another theme park, albeit a world class Disney production, but not the inspirational park that I so clearly remember as that optimistic 12-year old. I have had friends of mine tell me that the world has changed too much for all of that “sappy optimism”. I disagree.

What do you guys think? Am I just too unrealistic?

EPCOT Explorer

I know this topic has been discussed before but after spending some time watching videos of original EPCOT attractions, I felt compelled to write this.

I first went to EPCOT Center in late October 1983. I was 12 years old at the time and loved all things technology, so to me, EPCOT Center was a dream park!

I can vividly remember Horizons (which was brand new!), Imagination, Horizons, the original Universe of Energy, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth. On later visits when I was older, I can remember all of the other attractions like the Land boat ride, etc.

What I remember, more than anything else, is the feeling of optimism and the encouragement of forward thinking in all aspects of our techno-lives. All of the attractions encouraged and inspired using our minds and our shared values to create the opportunity for a better life for all. Songs like New Horizons (If we can Dream it), Tomorrow’s Child, Imagination!, Golden Dreams, and Listen the Land all exemplified this spirit.

To further bolster my point, I encourage you to take a look at this 9 minute video souvenir of EPCOT Center: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kygFzmrIroA

Now, I am NOT advocating that we should tear down Test Track, Mission: Space, etc. I am not for rebuilding Horizons and World of Motions, etc. However, I AM for reintroducing the spirit of ingenuity and discovery back into the park. I don’t claim to know how this can be done but I am fearful that the Epcot of today is becoming just another theme park, albeit a world class Disney production, but not the inspirational park that I so clearly remember as that optimistic 12-year old. I have had friends of mine tell me that the world has changed too much for all of that “sappy optimism”. I disagree.

Here we go...

I agree with you. Epcot is not the EPCOT Center it once was.It is a shell of itself in all respects-Inform and Inspire is lacking most of all, while Entertain is done anyway they can acomplish it.(See Nemo)

However...I have hope.The SSE Refurb, IMHO is a step in the right direction even in it's unfinished stateThe new script DOES have it's moments of optimism...It it an EPCOT attraction with and Epcot ending.When finished...I have a feeling it will be a instant EPCOT Center level attraction.Innoventions looks like it is getting some TLC again. MS is undeniably Future World. The Land still has it's integral vision and it's dignity.WS is stagnant, except for ROE but it's point is widely accepted and known.

So...I think we are at annother cross roads in EPCOT History.(We stand on the brink of a new rennisance);)...It seems we are leaving the "Entertainment for entertainment's sake" era(2001-2007-Wand) and slowly returning to an EPCOT 94 like Park.

And that's just fine with me.:D

jakeman

Oh jeez, this again?

Epcot is fine your perception of what it should be is based on the inaccuracies of nostalgia.

captainkidd

I'm all over the board on Epcot. Personally, I think World Showcase is great. I love the films and street performers.

Though I love Test Track, I think Future World is lacking some. It's history, but truth is, Epcot lost a lot of it's soul with Horizons and World of Motion being gone. Wonders of Life is an obvious tragedy.

I think the issue that Epcot is facing right now is what I refer to as the "dumbing down". The visual changes in SSE are OK, with the exception of the end, which stinks. But the narration is far inferior to the previous one. Adding the Three Caballeros to the River of Time has done nothing to up the attendance at the attraction. That was a mistake. The new Canada film has become more comedy than anything. And I don't even ike to think about what they've done to the Living Seas.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm all over the board on Epcot. Personally, I think World Showcase is great. I love the films and street performers.

Though I love Test Track, I think Future World is lacking some. It's history, but truth is, Epcot lost a lot of it's soul with Horizons and World of Motion being gone. Wonders of Life is an obvious tragedy.

I think the issue that Epcot is facing right now is what I refer to as the "dumbing down". The visual changes in SSE are OK, with the exception of the end, which stinks. But the narration is far inferior to the previous one. Adding the Three Caballeros to the River of Time has done nothing to up the attendance at the attraction. That was a mistake. The new Canada film has become more comedy than anything. And I don't even Ike to think about what they've done to the Living Seas.

Right.

Those are the problems pinpointed exactly.:cool:

BUT...There are solutions.

And some problems have already been fixed.

SSE for example-SSE94 was a "stagnate beauty". In the eyes of WDI it was time for a change.The fans...well, we know.SSE08 IMHO is a blend of what is wrong with Epcot and what is RIGHT with EPCOT.It is neglected, unfinished and somelines foolish and dumbed down.

Then on the other hand...The music is new and different, the narration has moments of insiration and optimism and the AA's and effects sparkle. SSE08 is a perfect representation of the EPCOT of now.It is EPCOT Center quality,it's just been given a Epcot mentality.

Epcot just might be getting it's EPCOT soul back.:cool:;)

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
To the OP, I loved your post and agree whole-heartedly.

I feel that the only way to get back the original feel of EPCOT Center lies in the hands of the big wigs running the show. If the current decision makers of Epcot hold the same fondness for the nostalgia and mystic wonderment EPCOT Center had, then I think they can stop it from becoming 'just another theme park'. If it's all about the bottom line to them, then it will be terribly hard to recreate or reinvent that feeling.

Like you though, I'm not opposed to TT, M:S, or any of the changes. After all, it's still WDW, so it can't be that bad. :D

EPCOT Explorer

It is ironic that a park that is themed to look toward the future has people complaining that it has not remained as it was in the past.

:)
I know...But the problem is...Where is that future? Where is that optimism?

They have neglected it.

A hew lines in SSE'08 work and ROE is all about that, but that's it.Where is that shinning vista you would see in "The Prologue and the Promise"? Where are our new Horizons? Where will our amazing journey on Spaceship Earth take us?

?:veryconfu:cry::eek:

EPCOT Explorer

To the OP, I loved your post and agree whole-heartedly.

I feel that the only way to get back the original feel of EPCOT Center lies in the hands of the big wigs running the show. If the current decision makers of Epcot hold the same fondness for the nostalgia and mystic wonderment EPCOT Center had, then I think they can stop it from becoming 'just another theme park'. If it's all about the bottom line to them, then it will be terribly hard to recreate or reinvent that feeling.

Like you though, I'm not opposed to TT, M:S, or any of the changes. After all, it's still WDW, so it can't be that bad. :D

A good point, Ms. Spark.;)

Be it EPCOT Center or Epcot, I love it.:eek::D...I think we all do. That's why we have these debates and that's why we are all so passionate for a golf ball.:lookaroun:lol::lol:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I know...But the problem is...Where is that future? Where is that optimism?

They have neglected it.

A hew lines in SSE'08 work and ROE is all about that, but that's it.Where is that shinning vista you would see in "The Prologue and the Promise"? Where are our new Horizons? Where will our amazing journey on Spaceship Earth take us?

?:veryconfu:cry::eek:

Right! I think it's more of a 'feeling' we're looking to have them recapture - Not to rebuild rides that have met their demise.

I still very much enjoy Epcot in it's current state, but miss that feeling of looking ahead. What in Epcot right now makes you dream of the future except for the new SSE ending?

EPCOT.nut

I don't think you are unrealistic. Seems you are my age, too - I went to EPCOT Center for the first time the same year you did or possibly the year after. We went to Magic Kingdom the first day and then EPCOT Center the second day. Maybe it was just my age, the different slant of the park at the time, or a little of both, but I can wholeheartedly agree that the incredible sense of wonder, hope and inspiration that I once had upon leaving EPCOT Center is gone today.

I would opine that many of the current attractions are pushing the entertainment part harder than the educational part. I think it was the other way around way back in the day. Look at JII. Does it really inspire imagination and creativity...? To me, the new focus on just what your basic senses do is a major let down. I remember being entranced with the visuals of the old Imagination ride. So much to look at, so many ways to be creative and inspired back then.

RiversideBunny

....I would opine that many of the current attractions are pushing the entertainment part harder than the educational part. I think it was the other way around way back in the day....

Wasn't it Homer Simpson who said, referring to those days at EPCOT, that "It's boring to even fly over."?

EPCOT Explorer

Right! I think it's more of a 'feeling' we're looking to have them recapture - Not to rebuild rides that have met their demise.

I still very much enjoy Epcot in it's current state, but miss that feeling of looking ahead. What in Epcot right now makes you dream of the future except for the new SSE ending?

:sohappy:You got it...

As for your question...ROE? AA? *maybeeee..?*

I don't think you are unrealistic. Seems you are my age, too - I went to EPCOT Center for the first time the same year you did or possibly the year after. We went to Magic Kingdom the first day and then EPCOT Center the second day. Maybe it was just my age, the different slant of the park at the time, or a little of both, but I can wholeheartedly agree that the incredible sense of wonder, hope and inspiration that I once had upon leaving EPCOT Center is gone today.

I would opine that many of the current attractions are pushing the entertainment part harder than the educational part. I think it was the other way around way back in the day. Look at JII. Does it really inspire imagination and creativity...? To me, the new focus on just what your basic senses do is a major let down. I remember being entranced with the visuals of the old Imagination ride. So much to look at, so many ways to be creative and inspired back then.

Agreed.EPCOT is too quick to ENTERTAIN!!! without the subtle element of Inform and the amazing effect of Inspire.

EPCOT Managment needs to look at the dedication plaque again...Maybe they did on October 1st 2007.;) Time will tell....I think it is starting too.

As for your JII comment...What about the Imageworks...?:lookaroun:lookaroun:lol::D

EPCOT.nut

Wasn't it Homer Simpson who said, referring to those days at EPCOT, that "It's boring to even fly over."?

Homer Simpson isn't even a real person. :lookaroun Sooooo :confused:.

Agreed.EPCOT is too quick to ENTERTAIN!!! without the subtle element of Inform and the amazing effect of Inspire.

EPCOT Managment needs to look at the dedication plaque again...Maybe they did on October 1st 2007.;) Time will tell....I think it is starting too.

As for your JII comment...What about the Imageworks...?:lookaroun:lookaroun:lol::D

:lookaroun I know nothing of this place you call Imageworks with the Rainbow Corridor and.....*giggle* *dies* :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Homer Simpson isn't even a real person. :lookaroun Sooooo :confused:.

:lookaroun I know nothing of this place you call Imageworks with the Rainbow Corridor and.....*giggle* *dies* :lol:
And the dead escalator...and the Wall art...And the CM.:lookaroun:lol:

*makes plans for next EC visit*

*gets a "1st visit" button from TTC*

EPCOT.nut

And the dead escalator...and the Wall art...And the CM.:lookaroun:lol:

*makes plans for next EC visit*

*gets a "1st visit" button from TTC*

:lookaroun

2949193751_aa847e4536.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom