Environmentally Irresponsible

thomas998

Same reason I don't litter in my back yard. I control what I can control an only that. I'd rather say something and feel like I tried, even if I know nothing will come of it. It makes me feel better about myself, and optimistically might convince a few others to do the same.

I understand your mindset. And if you want to buy organic or whatever else makes you feel good I won't mind one bit... but if it starts costing me money just to have other people feel good I get more than a little annoyed which is why I hate with a passion the constant recycling campaigns that seem to never end, it costs me tax dollars to have those recycle centers set out there because the reality is recycling costs more than not recycling and it only gets done because of government (taxpayer funded) subsidies. There is a reason no business ever popped up on its own to recycle things beyond glass or metal - it doesn't make fiscal sense.

If your opt out plan could be done with no extra cost or reduction in revenue to Disney I would say three cheers for it, because as a Disney stockholder I'm all for Disney's bottom line... but as others have noted it wouldn't be easy and it would likely cost more than it is worth so I don't want any changes to the mass mailings of magic bands.

Gomer

No need to roll eyes. I try to buy as much local as possible. Anywhere between 50-80% of my spending depending on the season. Trying to eat more seasonally to improve on it. But sometimes its near impossible. Especially with kids.
I did and you weren't.

See this quote.

That's sortof...well...

What did I read wrong?
Double negative. My point isn't that it isn't....etc... NOt grammatically sound I admit.
I'm saying it would like cost money to implement a change and make for a less profitable system. I'm just saying I don't see it as my responsibility to take Disney's financial concerns into account when voicing my concerns as a customer. It is up to Disney to determine whether there is enough demand from folks like me to warrant spending more money to make a more environmentally friendly system. Likely not. But it doesn't mean I can't voice my concern just because they are unlikely to listen.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
No need to roll eyes. I try to buy as much local as possible. Anywhere between 50-80% of my spending depending on the season. Trying to eat more seasonally to improve on it. But sometimes its near impossible. Especially with kids.

Double negative. My point isn't that it isn't....etc... NOt grammatically sound I admit.
I'm saying it would like cost money to implement a change and make for a less profitable system. I'm just saying I don't see it as my responsibility to take Disney's financial concerns into account when voicing my concerns as a customer. It is up to Disney to determine whether there is enough demand from folks like me to warrant spending more money to make a more environmentally friendly system. Likely not. But it doesn't mean I can't voice my concern just because they are unlikely to listen.
Ok, Don Quixote.

nerdboyrockstar

Thank you! I thought it was just me. I literally had this same thought last night.. I had gotten a smaller box with the Incredibles on it earlier in the week and I thought ah.. there's the magic bands. Could've just picked them up at the resort but okay. But then I got another cardbox yesterday that I opened only to find... a bigger box with the Incredibles on it, this time with the bands. So then I thought.. well, what the hell is in this box? A nice box, slipcover and all, for a booklet.

I literally took it apart looking for the purpose of it. I literally text my friends and said, "Y'all, I am worried about the environment" with the pic of all the stuff. lol They did get excited about it so I do get the purpose but it's just a bit much. Their money could be used more wisely. :cough: ATTRACTIONS :cough:

Also, if I cancelled my trip today (still can without penalty if I needed to), then all this really, really a waste.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I understand your mindset. And if you want to buy organic or whatever else makes you feel good I won't mind one bit... but if it starts costing me money just to have other people feel good I get more than a little annoyed which is why I hate with a passion the constant recycling campaigns that seem to never end, it costs me tax dollars to have those recycle centers set out there because the reality is recycling costs more than not recycling and it only gets done because of government (taxpayer funded) subsidies. There is a reason no business ever popped up on its own to recycle things beyond glass or metal - it doesn't make fiscal sense.

If your opt out plan could be done with no extra cost or reduction in revenue to Disney I would say three cheers for it, because as a Disney stockholder I'm all for Disney's bottom line... but as others have noted it wouldn't be easy and it would likely cost more than it is worth so I don't want any changes to the mass mailings of magic bands.
And often doesn't get done.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/conservation/issues/recycling-reality.htm

Gomer

And I respect your right as a stock holder to feel that way. I have no stake in the company. I am a consumer and feel differently. When there's more who feel like me than there are who feel like you (likely never) then companies will need to change to meet the demand of that consumer base.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'd rather tilt at windmills than resign to cynical complacency.
It's not cynical. It's realistic. As I stated, ever seen a Lithium mine?

Electric cars, they'll need those lithium batteries, by tons. They'll also require cheap and regular elecrical production and grids, which coal is still by far the cheapest (due to limits on nuclear).

The "environment" is such a trumped up non-issue. No one is against "the environment", but most of the time the windmills people who support it tilt at are not the real long term causes of environmental damage.

And, this is a case in point.

No offense, you are free (and I applaud) that you have your own opinions on the matter and are willing to stand by them. It's just, it's not that big a deal. And, as I've stated, there are reasons why Disney is doing things the way they are which make a heck of a lot of sense.

Gomer

It's not cynical. It's realistic. As I stated, ever seen a Lithium mine?

Electric cars, they'll need those lithium batteries, by tons. They'll also require cheap and regular elecrical production and grids, which coal is still by far the cheapest (due to limits on nuclear).

The "environment" is such a trumped up non-issue. No one is against "the environment", but most of the time the windmills people who support it tilt at are not the real long term causes of environmental damage.

And, this is a case in point.

No offense, you are free (and I applaud) that you have your own opinions on the matter and are willing to stand by them. It's just, it's not that big a deal. And, as I've stated, there are reasons why Disney is doing things the way they are which make a heck of a lot of sense.
And like I said, change is made in small steps. The "environment" is a complicated issue that doesn't have any easy fixes. So, people would rather ignore it than make incremental progress.

Its clear we don't agree at a fundamental level here. So rather than go in circles. I'll just say I agree with everything you said here (lithium mines, reasons for magic bands, etc...). I just disagree with how I feel the problem should be approached.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And like I said, change is made in small steps. The "environment" is a complicated issue that doesn't have any easy fixes. So, people would rather ignore it than make incremental progress.

Its clear we don't agree at a fundamental level here. So rather than go in circles. I'll just say I agree with everything you said here (lithium mines, reasons for magic bands, etc...). I just disagree with how I feel the problem should be approached.
I'd say we disagree that there is a problem to begin with.

That said, you are correct, this conversation probably isn't going to do much but go in circles, so I'm fine with agreeing to disagree if you are.

Gomer

I'd say we disagree that there is a problem to begin with.

That said, you are correct, this conversation probably isn't going to do much but go in circles, so I'm fine with agreeing to disagree if you are.
Agree to disagree it is! It was a good debate, whether we got anywhere or not.:)

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Thank you! I thought it was just me. I literally had this same thought last night.. I had gotten a smaller box with the Incredibles on it earlier in the week and I thought ah.. there's the magic bands. Could've just picked them up at the resort but okay. But then I got another cardbox yesterday that I opened only to find... a bigger box with the Incredibles on it, this time with the bands. So then I thought.. well, what the hell is in this box? A nice box, slipcover and all, for a booklet.

I literally took it apart looking for the purpose of it. I literally text my friends and said, "Y'all, I am worried about the environment" with the pic of all the stuff. lol They did get excited about it so I do get the purpose but it's just a bit much. Their money could be used more wisely. :cough: ATTRACTIONS :cough:

Also, if I cancelled my trip today (still can without penalty if I needed to), then all this really, really a waste.
Thats what I am saying. Also for years you just got a little package in a folder or something sent. That worked fine. I would say they should wait a few weeks before shipping this, and maybe not send the bands till the package is paid..except I am sure there is a study they did that shows people who get the bands are less likely to cancel their trip...sorta feel invested now and an owing of something to Disney.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I love Mickey mail. Usually my mailbox is filled with bills, and coupons and other junk that I throw right out.. it's a breath of fresh air to get something from Disney.
tsk tsk
Babu-Finger-Wag1-1.gif

You must hate the planet! <wink>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom