Environmentally Irresponsible

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I find it odd that Disney pushes ways for guests to be environmentally responsible, like not laundering towels all the time....sensors in room to save energy with hvac...yet here I am getting tons of wasteful mail. Heavy cardboard boxes containing literature on my trip, mailers with more. And hey I made a splitstay ressie and changed the rooms so more for each of that! Its a lot paper. Add in magic bands which they will want to send me multiples of for each hotel ressie...I just think Disney could be better with management of materials. Just venting

Mouse_Trap

Agreed, I've said the same about the magic bands.....so wasteful producing them in lavish packaging then shipping them across the country.
Not just that, but people get multiple bands.....some seem to have 10+ already. Just 1 band could easily last 2-3 years (and easily be replaced if necessary)

Completely needless waste of money and resources.

Drop them an email....maybe if enough people let them know then they will take some action.

thomas998

I find it odd that Disney pushes ways for guests to be environmentally responsible, like not laundering towels all the time....sensors in room to save energy with hvac...yet here I am getting tons of wasteful mail. Heavy cardboard boxes containing literature on my trip, mailers with more. And hey I made a splitstay ressie and changed the rooms so more for each of that! Its a lot paper. Add in magic bands which they will want to send me multiples of for each hotel ressie...I just think Disney could be better with management of materials. Just venting

You know Disney isn't really trying to be environmentally responsible when they do the limited laundering or sensors for the AC, they are just trying to cut costs and using "environmentally responsible" as a tag because it sounds better than "because we're cheap". I guarantee that before they put those sensor in some financial analyst ran the numbers and it showed that it created more of a saving than it cost to do, otherwise they wouldn't have put them in.... And by the way, for those that don't like coming back from a day at the park to a hot room because of those stupid sensors tie a mylar balloon to something so it move back and forth in front of the overhead vent and it will trick the sensor into keeping the AC on (I don't pay Disney prices so I can skimp or the AC).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Just 1 band could easily last 2-3 years (and easily be replaced if necessary)
Incorrect. The battery only has a life of roughly one year. The touchpoint functions should work indefinitely but the long-range RFID features would fail once the battery dies.

Drop them an email....maybe if enough people let them know then they will take some action.
Nobody cares. People (like companies) like to talk about how green they are because it makes them feel good but when it comes down to buying a $28 light bulb or an $0.85 light bulb, people are paying the $0.85. Most people like "lavish packaging" much more than they care about the rain forest.

fractal

You know Disney isn't really trying to be environmentally responsible when they do the limited laundering or sensors for the AC, they are just trying to cut costs and using "environmentally responsible" as a tag because it sounds better than "because we're cheap". I guarantee that before they put those sensor in some financial analyst ran the numbers and it showed that it created more of a saving than it cost to do, otherwise they wouldn't have put them in.... And by the way, for those that don't like coming back from a day at the park to a hot room because of those stupid sensors tie a mylar balloon to something so it move back and forth in front of the overhead vent and it will trick the sensor into keeping the AC on (I don't pay Disney prices so I can skimp or the AC).

this. But all hotel/motel's do the same.

thomas998

Nobody cares. People (like companies) like to talk about how green they are because it makes them feel good but when it comes down to buying a $28 light bulb or an $0.85 light bulb, people are paying the $0.85. Most people like "lavish packaging" much more than they care about the rain forest.

I was gullible enough to fall for the uber priced LED bulbs that were supposed to last 7 years... at 7 years it was economical... of course after I had replaced about 20 bulbs in my house I found that some started dying in less than a years time... Then of course you find the fine print on the warranty, they might claim they last 7 years but they only warranty them for 3 and if you want to replace them you have to send them in at your expense and then pay for the S&H of the replacement that will be sent back to you.... I learned the hard way, use the cheap bulbs - they actually work.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Like collecting room keys of old, I don't mind that they foist more bands on us. Also, it keeps them from having to mess with any future versioning in the system if they ever make modifications to the units later on.

So, there are quite a few reasons why I can see that they'd do it that way.

Also, there's economies of scale. It's a bit silly that a single band gets shipped to you in a massive box, but the boxes are designed to handle multiple bands (up to 5, I think?) and I'm sure they've done the materials and labor analysis to figure out if it's more efficient to mail them in different sized boxes vs different sized inserts.

That said, I'd be just fine if they stopped "personalizing" the bands with printed names and handed them out, with color options, at my resort...or if they wanted to keep the "personalized" aspect, just make it a smaller package and have it delivered to the resort room.

But, they want the integration features with DME at MCO and the charging to start at the MCO Disney Store (and end there as well)...so...I'm sure there's a further analysis they've done for this.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Like collecting room keys of old, I don't mind that they foist more bands on us. Also, it keeps them from having to mess with any future versioning in the system if they ever make modifications to the units later on.

So, there are quite a few reasons why I can see that they'd do it that way.

Also, there's economies of scale. It's a bit silly that a single band gets shipped to you in a massive box, but the boxes are designed to handle multiple bands (up to 5, I think?) and I'm sure they've done the materials and labor analysis to figure out if it's more efficient to mail them in different sized boxes vs different sized inserts.

That said, I'd be just fine if they stopped "personalizing" the bands with printed names and handed them out, with color options, at my resort...or if they wanted to keep the "personalized" aspect, just make it a smaller package and have it delivered to the resort room.

But, they want the integration features with DME at MCO and the charging to start at the MCO Disney Store (and end there as well)...so...I'm sure there's a further analysis they've done for this.
Well their system should be able to figure out you only need one set of bands for a split stay if the people in the rooms don't change

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well their system should be able to figure out you only need in set of bands for a split stay if the people in the rooms don't change
Not necessarily. It's not just the system (MDE does know this), it's the external systems and processes. Communicating specialized "processes" to external vendors / departments (which is what happens when you set up a stay) is sometimes simpler (and cheaper) to keep the external processes streamlined.

From a systems / process design, I can completely imagine why Disney would take this approach.

Clamman73

Like this box for the booklet totally unnecessary...I understand how they want to make it a wonderful presentation to you and all, but for a repeat customer, it's OK if they just put the booklet in an envelope.
image.jpg

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Like this box for the booklet totally unnecessary...I understand how they want to make it a wonderful presentation to you and all, but for a repeat customer, it's OK if they just put the booklet in an envelope.
View attachment 93027
I love it. How many threads do we have complaining about how Disney has made cuts to "little touches" that make the experience feel special in the name of saving a few dollars. Yet here we are complaining that one of those "little touches" is unnecessary.

I have 200-and-something days until my next Disney trip. Every piece of mail I receive from them builds excitement and anticipation. I can only imagine the effect is magnified when you have kids old enough to understand (my daughter is not yet 1).

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I love it. How many threads do we have complaining about how Disney has made cuts to "little touches" that make the experience feel special in the name of saving a few dollars. Yet here we are complaining that one of those "little touches" is unnecessary.

I have 200-and-something days until my next Disney trip. Every piece of mail I receive from them builds excitement and anticipation. I can only imagine the effect is magnified when you have kids old enough to understand (my daughter is not yet 1).
Well for the rest of us there should be an option to not have the paper mail. My kids will appreciate lower emissions more trees and Disney can take the money saved and invest it in things like fixing the Yeti

CheshireCat12

Incorrect. The battery only has a life of roughly one year. The touchpoint functions should work indefinitely but the long-range RFID features would fail once the battery dies.
I used a MagicBand 14 months after using it for the first time, it still worked well! Going to try it again soon. How would I know if it doesn't work for RFID? What is lost?

lazyboy97o

I used a MagicBand 14 months after using it for the first time, it still worked well! Going to try it again soon. How would I know if it doesn't work for RFID? What is lost?
The short range RFID (admission, payments, FastPass+) will all still work if the battery is dead. It is the long range reader which is what tracks your movements and is used for Memory Maker that would stop working when the battery dies.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Right now I think just the Mine Train's on-ride photos. There were other plans for additional features but it's unclear whether they've been cancelled or just delayed.

Example: You tell My Disney Experience that it's your daughter's birthday. You're walking down Main Street and a sensor sees her band. A window lights up with "Happy Birthday Emily".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom