Entertainment cuts

TrainsOfDisney

oh wait... so they are being replaced by a new band? While still maybe not the best decision, that’s different than entertainment being cut and not replaced.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In general, I would agree. The problem (as I see it) is that there is a “cut cut cut and never replace” pattern with this particular corporate crew.

If that were true... we would have ran out of entertainment years ago. They've scaled back - but they also seem to come up with new offerings even if they are not direct replacements.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If that were true... we would have ran out of entertainment years ago. They've scaled back - but they also seem to come up with new offerings even if they are not direct replacements.

It does “feel” as if there are more cuts then there are new offerings. It’s not dramatic, like cut 5 add back 1. But it’s like, cut 7 add back 6, but with less shows. That kind of thing. A slow erosion. Take the lack of a nighttime parade as an example. How much entertainment cast does that eliminate?

flynnibus

Premium Member
It does “feel” as if there are more cuts then there are new offerings. It’s not dramatic, like cut 5 add back 1. But it’s like, cut 7 add back 6, but with less shows. That kind of thing. A slow erosion. Take the lack of a nighttime parade as an example. How much entertainment cast does that eliminate?

Agree - I'm mainly responding to the tale that this is somehow some new response to GE. Disney trimming entertainment and relaunching others is old hat now. Entertainment lifecycle seems to be about 2-3 years typically now.

Most is so under the radar most people don't even know it exists unless someone points out to them it's leaving.. because any news of these minor things coming in and most people go 'hrmph.. doesn't appeal to me' and they ignore it/forget about it. But if there is a story about the contracts not being renewed? zOMG what is going on??? :)

The big hits like parades, etc obviously are far more high profile. But streetmosphere, epcot pavilion acts, etc.. Disney changes them like people wear out socks.

wannabeBelle

This cuts make me so glad I downgraded from Platinum Pluss to gold last week. No way I would enioy paying nearly $80 for a theme park resort that is cutting live entertainment left and right? What's next? Fireworks only on the weekend during the winter??
Don't give them any ideas!!! Marie

Maerj

I remember they were actually play testing a Donald Duck and Minnie Mouse at DCA a couple years ago.

Talking Mickey was the best! We didn't even bother stopping in last trip. They keep you too busy running from dinning reservations to fast passes anyway. I actually gave them feedback asking for Talking Mickey to return and to give a little more space between Fast Passes so you can actually slow down a little, enjoy the atmosphere and enjoy your trip.

WDW Guru

Burudika's contract has reportedly not been renewed; their final performance is October 13th.

This one hits hard; we go out of our way to make it to at least one performance each trip. Starting to get nervous about what might be next.

This is the final straw. I really hope they realize they are shooting themselves in the foot with all these cuts. Burudika draws huge crowds EVERY SINGLE SHOWING and helps make Africa/Harambe such an amazing land. I never wish it upon anybody but I truly hope for Chapek to get fired. All of the budget cuts might not all be his fault, I don't know the inner workings of the company, but all of the diluting of the parks offerings, attendance issues, budget cuts, and worst of all, failure of the roll-out of SW:GE falls on him. He is the man in charge of the parks division, and he is in charge while many people have lost their jobs.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
Here's a clip Big Band Beat for those that never seen it. It's from a TV Special since no video recording is allowed.

Mickey and the Magician

they even did a special ending for Mickey's 90th Birthday.

I just watched that Tokyo clip and WOW we are getting played here stateside. Chapek would literally laugh in the face of that kind of show, especially considering it is included with the price of admission. that Paris show is no slouch, either.

Sonconato

This is the final straw. I really hope they realize they are shooting themselves in the foot with all these cuts. Burudika draws huge crowds EVERY SINGLE SHOWING and helps make Africa/Harambe such an amazing land. I never wish it upon anybody but I truly hope for Chapek to get fired. All of the budget cuts might not all be his fault, I don't know the inner workings of the company, but all of the diluting of the parks offerings, attendance issues, budget cuts, and worst of all, failure of the roll-out of SW:GE falls on him. He is the man in charge of the parks division, and he is in charge while many people have lost their jobs.
They have now truly ripped the heart and soul of what made Disney, Disney. My family was there at least every Saturday and sometimes on Sunday. These were a group of kind and talented individuals. Their lead singer Nathi Gcabashe is one in a million as far as entertainment, and Disney does not know what they are getting rid of. His solo music can be heard as atmosphere music in the Africa pavilion, and some of it was popular over in his native country, South Africa. Not only that, but the whole band had to work in heat well above 100 degrees (Fahrenheit). We were not alone in our adoration of them, either. Everyone came together when Burudika was around. I have no idea where this company is headed, but I can tell you one thing: it isn't good.

brb1006

I just watched that Tokyo clip and WOW we are getting played here stateside. Chapek would literally laugh in the face of that kind of show, especially considering it is included with the price of admission. that Paris show is no slouch, either.
Paris and especially Tokyo really don't mess around when it comes to stage shows! I remember hoping the planned stage area at Main Street USA (which is not cut) would finally give WDW a stage show to this level. Especially since BATB Live on Stage and Voyage of The Little Mermaid at HS is really showing its age right now.

Last edited:

tirian

Agree - I'm mainly responding to the tale that this is somehow some new response to GE. Disney trimming entertainment and relaunching others is old hat now. Entertainment lifecycle seems to be about 2-3 years typically now.

Most is so under the radar most people don't even know it exists unless someone points out to them it's leaving.. because any news of these minor things coming in and most people go 'hrmph.. doesn't appeal to me' and they ignore it/forget about it. But if there is a story about the contracts not being renewed? zOMG what is going on??? :)

The big hits like parades, etc obviously are far more high profile. But streetmosphere, epcot pavilion acts, etc.. Disney changes them like people wear out socks.
Are you talking about the high-profile parades they don’t do anymore—like a nighttime parade, a cavalcade in the Studios, and a short parade in DAK?

:(

Also, my family and friends have wonderful memories from low-key, local, intimate music settings in the hotels across Disney property.

TrainsOfDisney

Regarding beauty and the beast.... when it opened they had pyro and live doves and I’m pretty sure equity dancers.

As far as big band beat.... why have a live band and choreographed dancing when you can teach children to “shake their tail-feather” and pay some CP’s to jump and clap their hands.

tirian

This is a 100% shameless plug. In the General Discussion subforum, I’ve started a thread listing the attractions, entertainment, shopping, and food from WDW c. 1990. The difference between then and now is incredible. Disney offered so much more—and that was before Splash, Tower, DAK, and most of the resorts were added!

Also, an unlimited AP was $180, or about $350 in today’s dollars.

bUU

See, you're wrong yet again.
No I'm not. I simply posted something you don't like and for which you don't have a legitimate rebuttal.

I've been complaining about removing entertainment since the early 2000s (not on this board, but that's beside the point).
And I've been highlighting the vapid nature of such complaints since the net.disney days in the early 1980s.

Where are the parades in HS and Epcot?
When I started highlighting the vapid nature of such complaints, there wasn't a parade in EPCOT and there wasn't a Hollywood Studios.

Where are the live entertainers in World Showcase?
American Gardens Theater (back when I started highlighting the vapid nature of such complaints, there wasn't anything near as high quality being presented there); Canada; UK (Rose & Crown Pub and back of the UK pavilion); France; Morocco; Japan; America Pavilion rotunda; Italy; Germany; China; Mexico.

Where's the night parade at MK?
When I started highlighting the vapid nature of such complaints, there wasn't a nighttime spectacular at Hollywood Studios. If you cannot admit that Fantasmic is a fine trade-off for Spectromagic, then you're utterly unreasonable.

Where are the Mousekeepers that made a game of playing with your stuff when they cleaned your room?
They're no longer doing that routinely. I find it really funny that the first whine in your list that had any validity whatsoever was something so inanely petty. You probably don't even realize it.

The real question in all this is that if you have such a negative attitude toward Disney why aren't you finding something else to do with your life? LOL. Is this another example of "The Problem With Disney Fans"?

bUU

Your rose colored glasses may need to be adjusted.
No rose-colored glasses here: I see the putrid corruption of the complaining going on.

With regards to learning lessons, I'm not the one sweating bullets ...
As if you know whether anyone is actually sweating bullets or not. Perhaps this is also another example of "The Problem With Disney Fans" - claiming that they know what Disney execs are thinking. LOL. What inane nonsense!

bUU

Do you ever forget which account you are posting from? I do appreciate the toned down rhetoric of this account vs the bombastic know it all that you use with the Buu account. But is it hard to keep them straight?
Because anyone who puts the cabal in its place must be me. How deep does that delusion go for you, Dan?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom