Entertainment cuts

Tony the Tigger

I’ve also found bUU’s posts in this and other threads to be arguing for the fun of arguing.

He seems to like to bring other people down, rather than making his own view be known. I’m interested in knowing what his view is. Does he like or not like the muppets show?
bUU who?

Lots of words nothing of substance said.

The game became played out and tiring weeks ago.

I'm generally fine with him/her. I think more people should challenge the groupthink around here sometimes.

But today, the people in the stands weren't chanting "bUU," they were bOOing. ;)😆

TrainsOfDisney

I'm generally fine with him/her. I think more people should challenge the groupthink around here sometimes.

I agree with that when the alternative view is clear. I personally love the muppets but it’s interesting to read from posters who don’t like the muppets being in liberty square. I can get that.... if it was Olaf’s great history I would probably avoid the area.

But it’s strange being against entertainment in general.... the claims that entertainment is being replaced is simply not true from what I can tell.

misfitdoll

I agree that it is good to hear different perspectives and I agree that running a business looks simple from the outside, when it is anything but. I’ve done it. Successfully, I’d like to add, for the sake of establishing my perspective to you all who don’t know me. In my opinion, cutting the sword in the stone ceremony and Muppets and “little” stuff like this is bad for both guests AND business. If the budget is all messed up because of their misextrapolated (made that word up) budget for the parks—that is a glaring mistake that somebody made somewhere. Cutting this stuff feels like short-term thinking. They can’t change their product to reflect even less of the modern desire for fun nerdy stuff and still expect guests to feel the same emotional attachment over time.

PolynesianPrincess

Yeah, okay. Maybe you'd best spend your time at Six Flags or Coney Island. Since you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. :rolleyes:

And I'd just like to point out to those here who think the puppet show is more relevant than Sword in the Stone...um, Sword in the Stone is a genuine Disney-adapted animated film, so yeah, it has way more Disney-park street cred than the unnecessary felt-and-foam-rubber ill-conceived acquisition...

When did anyone ever say the Muppet show was more relevant? Just because people like it more doesn't mean they think its more relevant. And I never said that Disney would be EXACTLY like Six Flags but if Disney keeps taking entertainment away, they might as well be Six Flags!

Tony the Tigger

I agree that it is good to hear different perspectives and I agree that running a business looks simple from the outside, when it is anything but. I’ve done it. Successfully, I’d like to add, for the sake of establishing my perspective to you all who don’t know me. In my opinion, cutting the sword in the stone ceremony and Muppets and “little” stuff like this is bad for both guests AND business. If the budget is all messed up because of their misextrapolated (made that word up) budget for the parks—that is a glaring mistake that somebody made somewhere. Cutting this stuff feels like short-term thinking. They can’t change their product to reflect even less of the modern desire for fun nerdy stuff and still expect guests to feel the same emotional attachment over time.

Unless...

those “extra” things make sense to the business model when the park is running at a certain capacity.

In that case, if attendance is down for whatever reason, it wouldn’t justify the extras for now. (Just speculation.)

misfitdoll

Unless...

those “extra” things make sense to the business model when the park is running at a certain capacity.

In that case, if attendance is down for whatever reason, it wouldn’t justify the extras for now. (Just speculation.)

In general, I would agree. The problem (as I see it) is that there is a “cut cut cut and never replace” pattern with this particular corporate crew. I no longer trust that they actually understand their parks or park guests, or have a long-term cohesive plan. I’d love to be wrong!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In general, I would agree. The problem (as I see it) is that there is a “cut cut cut and never replace” pattern with this particular corporate crew. I no longer trust that they actually understand their parks or park guests, or have a long-term cohesive plan. I’d love to be wrong!
Exactly. In their minds, if a CM is not (a) running a ride, (b) selling something or (c) doing something operationally necessary, there's no ROI on their headcount costs. To them, having live music in the parks makes as much sense as putting a band in a Disney store.

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
Unless...

Seems like a reasonable explanation however, to some (including myself) its just one more example of cost cutting/penny pinching measures that management have been taking over the years. I can remember that I used to take advantage of EMH evening hours and having the whole park to ourselves. Now, you have to pay to have that special experience for additional $100 per person. I think the problem is that Disney has finally out priced the very people who used to come, which makes for low attendance, which means cost cutting, removed entertainment offerings and the lack of "magic" that the parks used to have.

There can be a healthy balance between it all (special ticket offerings and regular experiences), but management needs to decide what do they want more: people in their parks or continuing growth/money for shareholders.

Mickeyboof

With all this talk about Six Flags, we shouldn’t forget that Six Flags does have entertainment and shows, character interactions, and seasonal entertainment.

It’s not too grand or spectacular, but they do make an effort!

At least the one near New York City does.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
makes as much sense as putting a band in a Disney store

disneyflush

My family's vacation to WDW this year was and will be my last due to a very poor guest experience that I can attribute, partially, to pricing decisions designed with reality as an afterthought. With that said, the poor attendance over the last couple of months was expected right? Back in 2017/2018 most people on here stated that anyone planning a vacation to WDW should go in 2020 as opposed to 2019 since SWGOH wouldn't be finished until 2020. I'd agree the current pricing affects a percentage of guests and those effects are probably reflected in current crowd levels. But it feels like most people were expecting the current crowd situation as far as 2 years ago and for it to materialize and be attributed to x/y/z in the moment feels disingenuous. If spring of 2020 is still slow given all the other factors then that will be a gigantic flashing light on prices for the general public.

Casper Gutman

Nonsense.

It sounds like you are one of those people who run through The Oasis because you don't recognize it as an attraction. I wonder how much of the misbegotten criticism in this thread is a product of the critic simply being incapable of appreciating what is a Disney attraction versus an amusement park ride.

So it really does boil down to different kinds of resort guests: The kind of guest that Disney targets, who could legitimately spend probably closer to three or four weeks enjoying all that Disney offers, and the kind of guest for which nothing practical will ever be acceptable, which the company is surely better off sloughing off. I'm glad to be on the winning team.
Out of curiosity, how many hours do you spend in the Oasis on a given day at AK?

whiterhino42

With all this talk about Six Flags, we shouldn’t forget that Six Flags does have entertainment and shows, character interactions, and seasonal entertainment.

It’s not too grand or spectacular, but they do make an effort!

At least the one near New York City does.
The one in Massachusetts doesn't. It's filthy. They have a couple characters near the entrance but no shows. It's really awful.

TrainsOfDisney

The one in Massachusetts doesn't. It's filthy. They have a couple characters near the entrance but no shows. It's really awful.

“Back when I was a kid” now I feel old!!! But seriously like 20 years ago the six flags in St. Louis had 2 different high quality stunt shows, and a really good Chinese Acrobat show in an indoor theatre.

1 of the stunt shows was Robin Hood and it included high falls and pyro.

The other was a Police Academy stunt show.

My how times have changed!

seascape

When Great Adventure opened in 1974 there was a circus show. In fact they had several shows. Now they have none except at Fright Fest and Holidays in the Park. It's a shame because they are losing attendance. Six Flags Great Adventure should be the number 1 park in the company since it has the largest potential customer base. It is bad management and lack of marketing.

gerarar

Premium Member
For me, the worst entertainment cut in recent memory was the Talking Mickey meet and greet on Main Street..

I have many great memories with that offering. One was my cousin's first time visiting the World and seeing Mickey there. They both interacted so much and was truly magical..

Sad times these days at the parks...

TrainsOfDisney

For me, the worst entertainment cut in recent memory was the Talking Mickey meet and greet on Main Street..

Oh I forgot about that. I couldn’t believe when they did that..,, spend all the time and money on that technology and that cut it because it costs too much. What?

gerarar

Premium Member
Oh I forgot about that. I couldn’t believe when they did that..,, spend all the time and money on that technology and that cut it because it costs too much. What?
I mean they probably just threw the head as a backup to the articulated Mickeys in the various stages shows and parades..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom