Enhanced Dining Experience Coming to Be Our Guest Restaurant

DisAl

If you are going in May, I would say GO.
I am glad we have our trip and ADRs in June before the change. We are looking forward to dinner at BOG.
However, if we were after the change we WOULD NOT be going. The appetizers do not appeal to us at all. I'll admit I have never tried escargot (and don't intend to....) and I would just as soon have a handful of rubber bands to chew on as octopus. Nobody in my family likes onion soup but me.
So, we will enjoy our meal there in June but unless they come up with something different this will be out last dinner at BOG.
I fully understand why they are doing this because of the "deserters" but it will be interesting to see if they would have been better off with some sort of minimum order requirement rather that what they are doing.
(Well, I guess it is a minimum order isn't it; the $55 prix fix. ;))

Dismas

I like the menu change, as the food at dinner was good, but not exceptional. This (if executed properly) looks like a step-up in quality. As for the service and atmosphere, it was loud and unpleasant. I have also heard of people snagging dinner reservations just to get a cupcake and meet the Beast, so this new change prevents that. Would I eat here again knowing that this is 2 TS credits? Probably not, unless they added Belle and had them both do autographs, and not pictures only.

BrittanyRose428

I can't comment on the children's price because I don't have kids, but I would regularly spend about $55 per person at Be Our Guest anyway. I'm just looking at the menu now and my go-to order (French Onion Soup: $10.00 + Grilled Strip Steak: $36.00 + The Grey Stuff: $5) = $51/person, and that's without any drink that I assume would be included in a pre-fixe menu. I do really like the steak there and would miss that if it doesn't make it onto the new menu, but the price isn't an issue for me.

JIMINYCR

If you are going in May, I would say GO.
I am glad we have our trip and ADRs in June before the change. We are looking forward to dinner at BOG.
However, if we were after the change we WOULD NOT be going. The appetizers do not appeal to us at all. I'll admit I have never tried escargot (and don't intend to....) and I would just as soon have a handful of rubber bands to chew on as octopus. Nobody in my family likes onion soup but me.
So, we will enjoy our meal there in June but unless they come up with something different this will be out last dinner at BOG.
I fully understand why they are doing this because of the "deserters" but it will be interesting to see if they would have been better off with some sort of minimum order requirement rather that what they are doing.
(Well, I guess it is a minimum order isn't it; the $55 prix fix. ;))

Sadly.... May will be our last BOG dinner too. We are also abandoning one of our favorite places to dine. Like you we arent octopus, escargot munching people. And the small plated entrees being pictured, at 2 dining credits dont look like much. I think I'd be hungry after dining.

nickys

Premium Member
Why are there no dinner times on certain days in August? They serve breakfast and lunch every day and used to serve dinner too. I notice that for several days dinner is not available.

Which days?

The Halloween parties will be starting on 17th - not officially announced but going by the 6pm closing time.

On party nights, you need to book dinner through a special party dining page, so they can ensure everyone booking is fully aware they have to have a party ticket to dine.

Parties are usually held Tues, Thirs, Fri and Sun.

Dave B

So I am confused, why is there an issue of going to a restaurant, ANY RESTAUANT for that matter and just ordering dessert? I am very confused as to why this is a scam or even remotely considered inappropriate?

danyoung56

I don't think it should be considered a scam or in any way inappropriate. But I still defend Disney's right to change the menu as they see fit, and require more of a meal than just dessert.

Dave B

For sure, if they change it and it is a pre fix( like they are ), I would not expect to go and just get dessert, just as I would not expect to go to Cindy's royal table and just get dessert, but I would have the expectation to go to La Cellier or Yachtsmen or any other restaurant and just order an appetizer or dessert and would not have any second thoughts about it

DisAl

I agree; well within your rights. The problem seems to be that so many people have been doing it that people who want to spend $40 to $60 for a meal can't get in for the people who want to spend $5 for just a desert. My complaint is that they are going to charge two meal credits on the dining plan. One meal credit on the Disney Dining Plan gets you an entrée and desert on the current system. The only thing extra you would get for two meal credits with the new plan is an appetizer, which means you have effectively used a full meal credit just for the appetizer. That makes dinner at BOG a VERY poor choice if you are using the DDP. :(

Animaniac93-98

So I am confused, why is there an issue of going to a restaurant, ANY RESTAUANT for that matter and just ordering dessert? I am very confused as to why this is a scam or even remotely considered inappropriate?

The place is booked full 6 months out. It's very difficult to get a table and some other guests might actually want dinner.

If this were a more casual location that would often accept walk ins to fill in empty seats, have a bar/lounge area or have hours of lower attendence like a normal restaurant, it wouldn't be a problem. But this is WDW's most popular restaurant, and people who just want to order dessert so they can cheaply see the inside are abusing the privilege of ADRs to the exclusion of other guests.

Plus, just ordering dessert means less revenue for Disney and lower tips for the wait staff (not sure if BOH employees, bussers or hosts get tip out at WDW too).

Basically everyone loses, but you get to eat your overpriced cupcake. It may not be rule breaking, but it's tacky for this location IMO. Especially when it already offers a lower priced lunch and breakfast option. It would be one thing if this were happening infrequently, but if it's happening that often, it's a problem.

Last edited:

Dave B

It is not booked 6 months in advance, the system Disney has created causes the 6 month reservation back up. I am always able to get BoG either at the 6 month mark or within the 30 day mark as people ALWAYS cancel. Unfortunately its the environment that the company has created. AND this is NOT the hardest reservation by any means, its probably top 10, but I still have not been able to eat at Liberty Tree Tavern on Thanksgiving day and been trying for three years, now that's impossible to get. The Royal Table is much harder to get as well as Albert and Victoria's just to mention a couple.

We have been able to secure a reservation or two EVERY single trip we have taken over the last 5 years, Breakfast, Lunch or dinner

If I am diligent enough to wake up early on ADR day and get my reservation it should NOT matter what I order, that is a ridiculous argument, except for what Danyoung56 bought up, if its a pre fix meal , then I get it

And to be honest with you, I am not concerned at any point or ever think about Disney Revenue when I am booking my vacation and ADR's.

That is like saying I feel guilty for not ordering enough to make the server happy. Should I feel guilty if I decide not to order an appetizer or a drink and go with water because it affects the servers tip or Disney revenue, that's crazy.

I used to wait tables, sometimes you get the 10 top and pick tip, sometimes you get the single person who doesn't order much, its not a guarantee.

You also CHOOSE to be a server at a restaurant, you need to understand as a server there is no guarantee.

And I will be totally honest, it is kind of cool to go in with the DDP and order 5 or 6 or 7 desserts to help with the snack credits, its a smorgasbord of delights

Animaniac93-98

It is not booked 6 months in advance, the system Disney has created causes the 6 month reservation back up. I am always able to get BoG either at the 6 month mark or within the 30 day mark as people ALWAYS cancel. Unfortunately its the environment that the company has created. AND this is NOT the hardest reservation by any means, its probably top 10, but I still have not been able to eat at Liberty Tree Tavern on Thanksgiving day and been trying for three years, now that's impossible to get. The Royal Table is much harder to get as well as Albert and Victoria's just to mention a couple.

We have been able to secure a reservation or two EVERY single trip we have taken over the last 5 years, Breakfast, Lunch or dinner

If I am diligent enough to wake up early on ADR day and get my reservation it should NOT matter what I order, that is a ridiculous argument, except for what Danyoung56 bought up, if its a pre fix meal , then I get it

And to be honest with you, I am not concerned at any point or ever think about Disney Revenue when I am booking my vacation and ADR's.

That is like saying I feel guilty for not ordering enough to make the server happy. Should I feel guilty if I decide not to order an appetizer or a drink and go with water because it affects the servers tip or Disney revenue, that's crazy.

I used to wait tables, sometimes you get the 10 top and pick tip, sometimes you get the single person who doesn't order much, its not a guarantee.

You also CHOOSE to be a server at a restaurant, you need to understand as a server there is no guarantee.

And I will be totally honest, it is kind of cool to go in with the DDP and order 5 or 6 or 7 desserts to help with the snack credits, its a smorgasbord of delights

You asked why, I gave you a list of reasons. If they don't apply to you, that's fine, but obviously Disney felt differently.

I would agree though, that two credits is a waste if using the DDP. Although I feel that's true for most signature locations.

Dave B

Disney is just looking to make more money on this location, plainand simple, supply and demand

Next they will make breakfast and Lunch at the palace a character dining experience and make you use a TS for it, I can see it coming

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Seems many people are. They love TWDC and TWDC loves them. And how dare you not spend max dollars at their love’s restaurant.

DisAl

The "value" of a table service meal can vary widely depending on how you use it. However, the approximate value of a table service meal according to some other web sites is approximately $45. That means that using two meal credits at BOG will "cost" you about $90 for the $55 fixed price meal. We certainly will NOT be visiting BOG under those circumstances, and since we usually use the DDP that means we won't be having dinner there any more.
I fully understand the business side of this. Deserters have become so common that it is cutting deeply into the BOG revenue, and they wanted to stop it. I just believe they way they chose to do it is pretty stupid since it will drive away just about anyone using the dining plans who has sense enough to think it through. The value of the dining plans, other than the convenience factor, is already questionable for many people. This move just drives another nail in that coffin.

Dave B

You know what is funny about this discussion, the last two times we went for dinner, the place seemed empty, it was not even close to full, I promise, so it would seem that it would not be to hard to get for dinner, it seems to me that the early morning breakfast prior to park opening is the only one that is hard to get, the more I think about it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom