End of August/Beginning of September??

I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with a question.

This year, for the first time in many years we went to Florida in the middle of July for two weeks and i found that the crowds were quite busy, which i obviously had anticipated before i left.

Next year, we are planning to go for about three weeks starting around the 25th of August until the middle of September.

What i would like to know is if anyone can tell me what the crowds tend to be like at this time of the year? Also are there many big tour groups that go around and is this about the time of year that the American schools go back?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

lisak09

We went last year for the last two weeks in august and found that the crowds werent too bad. We did Universal, Seaworld & Wet n Wild in the first week and the Disney parks the second week. It worked out well for us and in fact we're going back august 15 and planning on doing the same again.

Upvote 0

louise900star

Original Poster
Thank you!!

What was the weather like when you went at the end of August? Was it still as warm as it is during July and early August?

I know you can never count on the weather or predict it but just as a guess would you say it was still nice?

Upvote 0

lisak09

Well I've never been to Orlando in July so i can't compare but i can tell you it was really really hot! The rain held off except for two days in the 2nd week. There was really bad thunderstorms when we were at animal kingdom & we hung around expecting it to stop after about 20 minutes or so like they normally do, but it went on for the rest of the day. In fact it was so bad that the kitchen in our hotel flooded and had to close. The next day there was another thunderstorm but it was the 20 minute kind. The rest of the two weeks was really sunny & hot.

Upvote 0

louise900star

Original Poster
Thank you. I've not been to Orlando in September for about 13 years, so i really can't remember what the weather was like.

I don't mind having some rain, we had some the other week when we were there.

I just wanted to start planning my three week trip for next year. I'm so excited about going, two weeks is a great length of time to go, but i'm so looking forward to this.

Three weeks means more opportunities for me to go to Disney :)

Upvote 0

lisak09

Three weeks sounds brilliant! I don't think i could take more than two weeks off work during the summer months though, but im really looking forward to going on 15 aug. Seems like it took forever to get here but nearly there:). Enjoy planning your trip for next year, i always think the plannings half the fun!

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Weatherwise, August/early September are not much different than July. While some like to squeeze a last vacation in, and there are some South American tour groups on winter break in August, late August and September (after the holiday weekend) have a marked volume reduction.

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

The crowds will be smaller than they are in July. I grew up going to WDW in July, but I have gone in early September for the past two years and it's much nicer. You might see a few tour groups at the end of August, but I don't remember seeing any in September. Most schools start again during the last two weeks of August, so that keeps the crowds down. The only time that was kind of busy was the weekend before Labor Day (the first Monday in September). Starting on Labor Day, the crowds were really small. We never waited more than 30 minutes for anything.

The weather is really nice at this time of the year too. It will definitely be hot enough to enjoy the waterparks and pools. However, it doesn't rain quite as often as it does in July. There might actually be some days where it doesn't rain at all :)

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I have found the crowds to be the smallest of any other time that I have visited with the exception of the first week of November.
It is HOT but not unbearable to me anyway. The rain while we were there was only like a quick storm for about 30 minutes or so every day, not a big deal at all.
We liked it so much that we are there again 8-29- 9-7 then on to the beach to rest for a few days.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

By the end of August- schools down south are back in session. Many families from the north are having their last hurrah. Schools in the north resume after Labor Day. Your September should be lighter crowds than August.

Weather in August is more humid than July. There are the regular thunderstorms in late afternoon. (We find this to be a great time to go back to the room and get refreshed!) Barring any pesky hurricanes in the area- you should be fine.

Have a great trip! Wow! Three weeks in WDW! I would say I was jealous- but I'm lucky to live a little closer to the world than you.

Upvote 0

louise900star

Original Poster
Have a great trip! Wow! Three weeks in WDW! I would say I was jealous- but I'm lucky to live a little closer to the world than you.

I know :( Goodness knows how often i would take a trip there if i lived closer!!

Thanks for all the help guys :) It's really appreciated.

The only other thing that worries me about going at that time of year, is the fact that it is hurricane season. I have been through a hurricane when i was there about 3-4 years ago, and it wasn't that bad. All we had in the area we were in was a power outage, but the travel company moved us to somewhere new :)

I guess you just have to take what you get, i would never stop going to Orlando and Disney World just because of that!

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

I will also be there Aug. 23~31 and CANNOT wait. I am expecting, well hoping, for lighter crowds due to a lot of schools down South going back. This should keep crowds down from a local standpoint.

Tour groups....ahh...one can only DREAM that they are back in school and not there!!:brick:

Upvote 0

louise900star

Original Poster
I know, when i was there the past two weeks i must have seen about 8 tour groups everytime i went to the World. Not only did i see them there, but even when i was off property at places like The Florida Mall i happened to bump into them there as well.

I felt like i couldn't get away from them all :(

Upvote 0

Hotdogs

We have always gone at this time of year, the first week of Sep is not really busy, if you can put up with an afternoon storm it is worth it, we have been lucky the last few years usually they have only lasted about an hour plus the price of holidays usually drop for the last week in Aug. If your staying in a Disney Hotel this is the time of year they offer the dining plan for free when you purchase your disney tickets.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
We have always gone at this time of year, the first week of Sep is not really busy, if you can put up with an afternoon storm it is worth it, we have been lucky the last few years usually they have only lasted about an hour plus the price of holidays usually drop for the last week in Aug. If your staying in a Disney Hotel this is the time of year they offer the dining plan for free when you purchase your disney tickets.

Too late for that however, packages were sold in June.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom