Enchanted Tiki Room?!

MMFanCipher

I don't know, I kind of like the new one. I think the old one, trying to remember back to 1990, was boring.

I will now run and take cover!! :ROFLOL:

krueg66

I agree with most...the new version is AWFUL!!! Thank God they left the original intact at Disneyland. That nearly made my trip to Disneyland seeing the original...that and Mr. Toad!!!

LaughingGravy

Seeing "The Tropical Serenade" on my first trip to WDW was very special. What an impression it made!
In subsequent years, it was always a favorite.
Then GILBERT GOTTFRIED's voice and character (yes, yelling on purpose) was added and ruined it. Zazu, I didn't mind so much, and would even enjoy him if he were the host in the beginning of the show, but still to leave the rest of the show as a pleasant serenade with the regular other 4 birds as hosts.

Last year, I was lucky enough to get out to DL an see the beautifully restored version. It bought tears to my eyes from the joy of experiencing the wonderful show that it is. No other attraction there put such a smile on my face. It was just great.

The current version of WDW's gives a dated feeling in that it tries to be hip, but is too out of date so that it comes up as a disappointment in the same way one might look at the Aladdin movie with Robin Williams where the Genie jumps into an Arsenio Hall mode.
Yeah, we all remember him, right kids? (cue crickets chirping)
The old version had a timeless element to it, like watching a good movie.
Yeah the cars are old in the movie, but the story, writing, acting, directing and music are great.

WDW's is now a "straight to video" version.

LaughingGravy

I don't know, I kind of like the new one. I think the old one, trying to remember back to 1990, was boring.

I will now run and take cover!! :ROFLOL:

IIRC, they did chop the show from the original somewhat by that time, so that did have a lot to do with the comments that the show may have been boring.
Once cut, it's like watching Animal House on network TV if you've never seen the original uncut version.

In the full version, there is audience participation and sing along, which does make a big difference and is much more entertaining, especially since you are facing other parts of the audience. It's a very clever design, theater in the round, that has been around for ages, but is rarely used.

DABIGCHEEZ

yeah that red eyed demon that comes up in the middle needs to go!!! Along with the outdated music. I really hope its restored back to the original for the 40th anniversary, but I doubt they will do it. Upper management at WDW doesnt have much sentimental values and views I dont think like Disneyland has.

Outdated music.... but restore it to older music?????:shrug: :lol:

I've seen both and this is one I do not have a problem with the new management version. The wife and kids enjoy it... I enjoy it along with the AC. So a few different robotic birds and songs do not make it a "oh how horrible and I never want to see THAT again " attraction. I can think of some updated attraction that I do feel that way but this is not one of them.

WDWRLD

Hang back a little while everyone is leaving when the show is over.
There are some funny comments as the guests leave.

:)

Guests...listen to Igau next time. Anyhow I do enjoy the Tiki Birds every few years. Well its late and im tired so mabey I will head over to HM for a nap....:lookaroun

Oh yea...as far as the eggrolls I think they have recently disappeared.

Spike-in-Berlin

The original has sentimental values for me as a veteran Disney park attendee, but to someone who has never been to the Tiki Room I can completely see how the original would be rather boring.

I do like the new one, Under New Management, it is a more of an entertaining show and holds my attention longer than the original does.

I say check it out, it's never a long wait and not a long show. I say it's worth checking out and seeing for yourself.

A veteran of..lets say 24? That's a young one.:D
The original show was btw scrapped only one or two years before Tiki became trend again. There are today a lot of tiki-styled restaurants and bars existing, even here in Berlin.

Spike-in-Berlin

I watched the "new management" one on youtube....and I have to say that I can't stand the sound of Iagos voice (and that of the actor Gilbert Godfrey). I think it ruins the whole show. But I do like the voice of the candlestick from Beauty and the Beast being in there. That was cool.

I hated him. I couldn't stand it, I had to suppress the urge of jumping up and tear the AA from its place. And what was absolutely UNFORGIVEABLE, they didn't even finish the Tiki-Room song before that brat interrupted. I mean the Tiki-Room-Song is such a classic, one of those melodies of childhood I always connected to WDW and then they don't even FINISH it? Not to mention that the new music has nothing to do with tiki and is about as fitting to the theming of the room as a heavy metal band would be in the Haunted Mansion Ballroom.

Phonedave

I always find it interesting that whenever I go in the enchanted tiki room under new management(yes I know, I still go in there :drevil:) that the people I find enjoying it, are usually little kids (except for the ones that are scared like crap), and women particularly in their 30s or 40s wearing mickey mouse ears and oversized swearshirts who are bee-bopping and jibbity jopping to the bopping of the groove to the tiki room.

It seems they (these women) are the ones that are obsessed with disney magic and "oh my gawd how can you say there's something wrong with disney, they can't do anything wrong it's soooo magical *giggle*" it seems they are the ones that enjoy the show, and I also find the fanboys wearing their EPCOT Center shirts look disgusted, as do men, and teenagers who roll their eyes and are thinking "Like OMFG my bff Jill and I have better things to do than watch this show"

:rolleyes:

My 9 y/o daughter loves the Tiki Room, so we continue to go on it.

However, given the fact the she also loves the PeopleMover and her absolute favorite is CoP (4 times in a row once) I have a feeling she would have liked the "classic" verison of the Tiki Room better.

That said, I can't see the logic of "avoiding an attraction at all costs". You paid for it when you got your park admission. You might as well check it out. It's not as if it scars you for life - though that "funky tuna tostada" line comes close.

-dave

MMFanCipher

IIRC, they did chop the show from the original somewhat by that time, so that did have a lot to do with the comments that the show may have been boring.
Once cut, it's like watching Animal House on network TV if you've never seen the original uncut version.

In the full version, there is audience participation and sing along, which does make a big difference and is much more entertaining, especially since you are facing other parts of the audience. It's a very clever design, theater in the round, that has been around for ages, but is rarely used.

So this is really the third version of the Tiki Room?

David

Giavonna98

The Tiki room is a show. I went on it and it wasn't all it cracked up to be. It seemed popular because there where so many people in line. I waited 15 minutes in line to see a 5 minute show that wasn't even that good. Don't waste your time in Disney with that.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

DisneyNut2007

I think "avoid it at all costs" is a bit silly. See it and form your own opinion.

Exactly.

I personally think it's very good,

I agree.

I like it much better than the original which I found terribly boring.

Most WDW guests felt the same way, which is why they had to take the original show away from that park. Most of them prefer UNM anyway and I personally hope that it stays that way in WDW while the original version remains unique to DL.

The new show does not deserve the bad rep that it gets all too often in the Disney online fan community and a lot of you need to stop getting so bent out of shape over it!

KingStefan

Sorry, but UNM is really bad, and I loved the original original - it was one of my favorite attractions 30 years ago. UNM was cute for a while, I guess, right after Alladin. But now it's just really annoying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom