Enchanted Tiki Room?!

DisneyDellsDude

^Good rant Expo!

Does anyone else believe the rumor of Tropical Serenade coming back for the 40th?
I saw it on *another site* and wasn't sure what to think.

EPCOT Explorer

but its true!!!! and then they leave and go ride pirates of the commercializedbean and then its the teenage girls who are drooling and texting their bff Jill and saying "LIKE OMG JILL I'M GOING TO TAG YOU IN 50 FACEBOOK PHOTOS WITH JOHNNY DEPP" while the guys are like "YEAH PIRATES AND FIRE!!!" and the fanboys are like "YEAH AWESOME NEW EFFECTS.......WAIT .....THEY TOOK OUT THE TREASURE ROOM?!!!!" while the kids are once again scared

what made the magic kingdom special and old school disney was the variety of character and non character interactions and experiences guests were offered

it wasn't the polyester, the mediocre costumes, simple fireworks, or parades, or noisy projections for "if you had wings", it was being placed into unique and different experiences, and not being bombarded with riding a prequel or sequel to a movie you just saw, bought to watch, and have merchandise for.

"but that's what people want, thats why they come there....to see rides based on their favorite movies."

are we sure, or will they come no matter what, even if they were still more unique rides than character based?

"no, because attendance saw a drop in the late 70s early 80s and EPCOT Center proved to be dismal"

and alot had to do with the energy crisis, and none of the "EPCOT Center was doomed" folks have ever been able to provide any evidence that the park had horrible attendance after the early 80s, when evidence provided here a few years ago showed that, while people found it boring, they still came to see what it was, and since many only go to WDW once, maybe two or three times in their life, EPCOT Center still got more attendance even with MGM open, and even in the mid 1990s with tower of terror open, and still in 1998 and 1999 with Islands of Adventure Open

oh my I was on a rant.......

now multiple generations are spoon-fed into thinking disney is nothing more than kids stuff and movie characters

there is no room to sit at the tahitian terrace for a polynesian dinner, no time to see the swiss family treehouse, every land must have a movie reference, and every store in that land must as well

and yet we saw that disneyland by refurbing their tiki room with new 21st century technology still gets people in, and even more people in, same thing with disney world's small world 2005 refurb and HM 07 refurb

it doesn't have to be obnoxious to get people to come back to see it or gain new interest, and it certainly is a nice breathe of fresh air from woody, buzz, stitch, and cinderella
oy vey :eek:

*high fives*

^Good rant Expo!

Does anyone else believe the rumor of Tropical Serenade coming back for the 40th?

I would LOVE that.

Spike-in-Berlin

^Good rant Expo!

I saw it on *another site* and wasn't sure what to think.

I didn't hear about it so far but there is definitely NO RUMOR about MK which I would wish more to be true. I loved the Tiki-Room when it was still Tiki.

Expo_Seeker40

I have not heard this rumor, but since the show we have now doesn't pack them in....I mean has it ever.....even when it was the old show?

Since WDW doesn't have the nostalgia factor or big local factor like Disneyland, I still can't see WDW, even if they bring back the old show, sell it off as "bringing it back",more it would be billed as another one of their clever BS copywriting "new, fresh, and unique experience"

Though the anti fanners will say "NOOOOOOO we're going backwards!!!!!" not quite.....since we don't want the old AA figures, and godforsaken outdated CM costumes, outdated audio systems, etc

but since most people would think a 40th anniversary tropical serenade were a new show, and done with 21st century effects, I can see it being promising, except the women with the overside sweatshirts will be dissapointed, but luckily for them, they can ride the misplaced, right in your face carpets of aladdin, pirates of the commercializedbean, stitch's great escape, laugh floor, finding nemo the rehash at the seas with pixar and friends, toy story we ran out of ideas and decided to take this cool 3d idea and turn into into another movie reference mania, highschool musical 10: everyones getting maried!, wall-e the experience, the incredibles ride, and many of the other things for these people who would come to Disney no matter what even if tomorrowland still had....god forbid alien encounter

so yes, one ride, done old school disney, since eisner's disney decade....I guess would be an alright step semi backwards for fanboys, but still forward for the many more people that will be able to experience a new show in their eyes

EPCOT Explorer

I have not heard this rumor, but since the show we have now doesn't pack them in....I mean has it ever.....even when it was the old show?

Since WDW doesn't have the nostalgia factor or big local factor like Disneyland, I still can't see WDW, even if they bring back the old show, sell it off as "bringing it back",more it would be billed as another one of their clever BS copywriting "new, fresh, and unique experience"

Though the anti fanners will say "NOOOOOOO we're going backwards!!!!!" not quite.....since we don't want the old AA figures, and godforsaken outdated CM costumes, outdated audio systems, etc

but since most people would think a 40th anniversary tropical serenade were a new show, and done with 21st century effects, I can see it being promising, except the women with the overside sweatshirts will be dissapointed, but luckily for them, they can ride the misplaced, right in your face carpets of aladdin, pirates of the commercializedbean, stitch's great escape, laugh floor, finding nemo the rehash at the seas with pixar and friends, toy story we ran out of ideas and decided to take this cool 3d idea and turn into into another movie reference mania, highschool musical 10: everyones getting maried!, 6th year of college gang, wall-e the experience, the incredibles ride, and many of the other things for these people

so yes, one ride, done old school disney, since eisner's disney decade....I guess would be an alright step semi backwards for fanboys, but still forward for the many more people that will be able to experience a new show in their eyes
:lol:

I think that was the best one yet.

Expo_Seeker40

You know I could rant and rant it still won't help solve just what happened to Rosita!!!

All this ranting is making me tired, I think I'm going to go to the hall of presidents and take a nap :rolleyes:

earningmyfins

the enchanted tiki room is walt's classic. it's a fun show to watch when you have time. don't go in when you have a headache! i love the show but disney had rehabed years ago to make it "kid friendly" and added iago and zazu. i found this to be a huge mistake! but watch it, it's fun. also, dolewhips are irresistible and if you want to try something almost as amazing try adventureland's eggrolls. they are sold on a little side cart by the dolewhips.
have fun!

Expo_Seeker40

From Imagineer Kevin Rafferty who helped create "new management"

"Some guests really really like it"
*yes, sweatshirt moms, and some kids*

"and some guests don't like the change at all"
*Merf, Expo, Epcot Explorer, and any other 1970s polyester record playing rewind the clock streotyped fanboys

"but you know, Walt Disney...himself....I wonder, if he were still alive today"
*OH BOY GUESS WHERE THIS IS GOING....

"if the original tiki show were going on exactly as it was in 1963."
*the one in Disneyland hasn't quite gone on exactly as it was in 1963, and this is more than just the removal of the offenbauch number

"walt was all about change"
*change for the sake of change?, change for exploitation?, change for commercialization?, or change to come up with new concepts and ideas especially in WDW when "there's enough land here.......?"

"he was all about telling new stories."
*Yes he was, so much that he came up with new rides and shows that had very little to do with the movie you saw in the theater, film or video you purchased, item you bought in the giftshop, character you saw outside, the one you saw in the parade, or the select FEW that already had their own ride

"you know when you consider......the first 8 years tomorrowland was open there were many many changes"
*yes....a mound of dirt became the matterhorn, the old skyway buckets became new ones, the viewliner and phantom boats become submarine voyage with sexy mermaids, a stage became space mountain *based from when walt was alive and john hench did the space port proposal*, the 20k exhibit and pots of plants become hall of chemistry and later adventure thru inner space, the peoplemover and rocket jets came about, and circlevision was an improvement over circarama,etc

with the exception of a goofy and mickey mouse space costume walk around characters in the 70s, it seems tomorowland was doing fine without alot of other movie refreneces, though star tours was a nice addition that even fanboys will agree on

"and um, these wonderful new films came along, these new stories, aladdin and the lion king with some amazing new characters, and we had the cast of new disney birds and we had this marriage made in heaven were the new birds meet the old birds and the feathers fly and the flowers croon, and everybody lives happily every after"

I can see it right now "Hey Mr. Disney, since folks loved Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty, why not make a few sequals or even a Princess Party movie we could do where the Princesses all get together?"

"Are you serious Kevin? Those two movies in and of themselves are succesful and famous and precious as they are. I have enough projects ahead of us such as taking a boat ride into the days of pirates and wenches, a haunted mansion, a theater that can revolve around a stage, a rollercoaster ride in the dark, a show where guests can actually see my hero Abraham Lincoln talk in "person", I'm trying to come up with some new parades, and Monsanto wants us to work on a ride that takes you into a Micrscope, and you want me to have my staff spend time and fall back on an already succesful idea and do something I already did when we have years and years ahead to create new rides, experiences, and shows so people can enter new stories and destinations without constantly falling back on the same characters over and over again?!"

Spike-in-Berlin

You know I could rant and rant it still won't help solve just what happened to Rosita!!!

All this ranting is making me tired, I think I'm going to go to the hall of presidents and take a nap :rolleyes:

As her "song" is gone so is she I believe. or better she is now just one of the other nameless birds.

Expo_Seeker40

Rosita has never "existed", even in the original version, poor Jose, sleep deprived, and full on dole whips realises that Rosita is not among the gals on the bird-mobile after zal zats why zey call it cuz it goes round zen round, :p

Rosita: MIA since 1963

Spike-in-Berlin

For me, the tiki birds is a must see. I loved it when I was really young,and I still love t now.

Even with the "new management"? I couldn't stand it. I even complained about it at guest relations after a CM told me to complain officially when I told her I hated the new show. I LOVED the old show however and hope the rumors about it coming back are true.

Raychul

The original has sentimental values for me as a veteran Disney park attendee, but to someone who has never been to the Tiki Room I can completely see how the original would be rather boring.

I do like the new one, Under New Management, it is a more of an entertaining show and holds my attention longer than the original does.

I say check it out, it's never a long wait and not a long show. I say it's worth checking out and seeing for yourself.

isuanastasia

Original Poster
I watched the "new management" one on youtube....and I have to say that I can't stand the sound of Iagos voice (and that of the actor Gilbert Godfrey). I think it ruins the whole show. But I do like the voice of the candlestick from Beauty and the Beast being in there. That was cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom