Enchanted Tiki Room closing for month long refurbishment

doctornick

I prefer this over finding the Tiki closed.

It's an interesting question. On one hand, people have a valid gripe about how this effects "the show" and that things should be 100% if guests are allowed. There used to always be standards at WDW and this would not have been allowed.

On the other, it's better that the refurb is going on and this allows fewer guests to be impacted by missing the opportunity to see the show. I mean, if you are at WDW and your option is "Tiki room with an ugly wall" or "No Tiki room", I think most guests would prefer the former since it at least gives them they choice of seeing the show.

Ultimately, though, I think this is just further evidence of a big issue at WDW is that they need more stuff to do. Building more attractions at all the parks is necessary so that it won't be viewed as much of a big deal when something is taken off line for repairs.

Animaniac93-98

Ultimately, though, I think this is just further evidence of a big issue at WDW is that they need more stuff to do. Building more attractions at all the parks is necessary so that it won't be viewed as much of a big deal when something is taken off line for repairs.

If people are this annoyed with only Tiki Room being closed then it's going to be chaos on September days when both Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise are closed...and then a thunderstorm shuts down other outdoor rides. ;)

Clever Name

You dodged the question... if you hate the Tiki Room so much why would you care if we took a Dole Whip into the show?

In fact, if you hate the Tiki Room WHY do you seem to spend so MUCH of your time reading and posting on EACH and EVERY Tiki Room topic posted on here?

Valid Questions.
I actually like the Tiki Room, but not in its present form. Let me explain by using another well known Disney attraction as an example.

When the Jungle Cruise first ran in Disneyland it was very popular. However, after a few years many guests rebuked the attraction due to it's boring content. If you look at old films (videos) of the JC you'll notice that the ride was presented in a very serious manner. There were a few scripted jokes but for the most part, the skipper was serious. As guest numbers went down for the JC the Disney team tried various upgrades to improve the ride but nothing worked until around 1962.

The script had always been a strict nature guide sort of narrative and skippers were required to recite the script as written. In 1962 some skippers with comedic ability were given scripts with jokes and almost overnight the crowds were back to the JC. Today many guests don't even realize that the JC was ever presented without a comedy routine. We all know that without comedy the JC would be about as popular as the Tiki Room.

The Tiki Room suffers from a similar problem. It was great in its time and drew big crowds but those days are long gone. It can't draw a crowd and the few people that do walk in often get up and leave the show before it's over. It's boring and it hasn't really changed since 1963 with the exception of the UNM show. I think they need a new "boss" bird to run the Tiki Room show. Sam the Eagle would be able to retool the tacky Tiki birds into a crowd pleasing attraction and put some life into an otherwise dead attraction.

Of course the Tiki Room, CBJ and CoP all suffer from low attendance and low guest satisfaction. It would be best to keep WDI out of the picture and let the folks at Garner Holt rework these shows. I understand that some people think that the Tiki Room should be preserved in an unaltered state in homage to Walt but I think the display of his cryogenically frozen head is more than enough.

KingStefan

Though this thread has gotten out of wing, as it were, I'll add my $0.02 anyway.

Although I'm not going during the refurb period, I agree that it's better that it is open with a wall than closed altogether. It is one of my favorite attractions and would be very disappointed if I were going during a period when it was closed altogether. I agree that the wall should be appropriately themed, however; one hopes that they simply didn't get to it yet.

Part of the difficulty with the room is that the animatronics are not viewed as being as charming as they used to be. In the old days, especially if you had never seen the room, then when the little animatrons on the back wall and on the pillars, etc., that formerly just seemed like inanimate decorations finally came to life, it was real Disney magic (except when they are not working properly) and sent chills up everyone's spine and oohs and ahs throughout the audience could be heard. When I see it today, it still is magic to me, because I let myself believe it is.

One of the issues is that younger folks are too used to high-tech stuff to appreciate the simple little effects that not too long ago were pretty amazing. We have seemingly lost our ability in modern times to suspend our disbelief, and use our imagination to enhance the entertainment experience.

Come on, folks, it's charming. Not every attraction has to be a thrill a second.

IMHO, part of what is gradually being lost at the parks is the culture of people believing in the Disney Magic, and letting their imagination run wild, instead of insisting on being spoon fed the illusions. This is not the fault of the patron, or a sign of the times. And I don't claim to have all the answers. But I believe that one of the focus areas of Disney Imagineering should be reversing this trend and getting that back.

Don't get me wrong - there is a lot of magic still there. And Imaneering does a really great job with theming overall. And that's what makes the parks and resorts special (to me at least). But how can we change the feeling that guests have when they enter the parks (and even at the resorts) to make that suspension of disbelief more prevalent for patrons of all ages?

KingStefan

How easily they could placate us all by just adding a small sign saying, "The Tiki Birds are nesting behind this wall. Please respect their privacy."
Right! And maybe some projections of tropical plants on the wall to make it blend in. Or staple some palm branches on it - or whatever.

willtravel

Though this thread has gotten out of wing, as it were, I'll add my $0.02 anyway.

Although I'm not going during the refurb period, I agree that it's better that it is open with a wall than closed altogether. It is one of my favorite attractions and would be very disappointed if I were going during a period when it was closed altogether. I agree that the wall should be appropriately themed, however; one hopes that they simply didn't get to it yet.

Part of the difficulty with the room is that the animatronics are not viewed as being as charming as they used to be. In the old days, especially if you had never seen the room, then when the little animatrons on the back wall and on the pillars, etc., that formerly just seemed like inanimate decorations finally came to life, it was real Disney magic (except when they are not working properly) and sent chills up everyone's spine and oohs and ahs throughout the audience could be heard. When I see it today, it still is magic to me, because I let myself believe it is.

One of the issues is that younger folks are too used to high-tech stuff to appreciate the simple little effects that not too long ago were pretty amazing. We have seemingly lost our ability in modern times to suspend our disbelief, and use our imagination to enhance the entertainment experience.

Come on, folks, it's charming. Not every attraction has to be a thrill a second.

IMHO, part of what is gradually being lost at the parks is the culture of people believing in the Disney Magic, and letting their imagination run wild, instead of insisting on being spoon fed the illusions. This is not the fault of the patron, or a sign of the times. And I don't claim to have all the answers. But I believe that one of the focus areas of Disney Imagineering should be reversing this trend and getting that back.

Don't get me wrong - there is a lot of magic still there. And Imaneering does a really great job with theming overall. And that's what makes the parks and resorts special (to me at least). But how can we change the feeling that guests have when they enter the parks (and even at the resorts) to make that suspension of disbelief more prevalent for patrons of all ages?
So true... But all I have been told, "it's a different time". I have read on these boards how AK and DHS are half day parks. I say to myself to each his own. My taste, I go on everything, (except Dinorama) area. I have read more than once you go on one, two, three times, why go on again. You can say that with every attraction WDW. Just your taste. But I agree, not every attraction has to be a thrill ride. If that is true, FW has no chance of surviving.

billDozer

idk if this has been on here yet, but the tiki room is kinda open. Went today and half of the seats were blocked off. it seems like they are adding padded seating, and a rope that blocks off the crowd from the center of the room. Maybe were getting the fountain sometime but not sure. They also fixed everything that was broken every bird plant and tiki worked great, so that's good. ill post a picture tomorrow.

nytimez

idk if this has been on here yet, but the tiki room is kinda open. Went today and half of the seats were blocked off. it seems like they are adding padded seating, and a rope that blocks off the crowd from the center of the room. Maybe were getting the fountain sometime but not sure. They also fixed everything that was broken every bird plant and tiki worked great, so that's good. ill post a picture tomorrow.

Are all the drummers and drumming... and with no broken arms?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It has been mentioned. The attraction is under a rolling refurb with minimal down time.

No fountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom